Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vent On Oil Filler, Blowing air into the atmosphere
7TPorsh
post Sep 20 2010, 12:05 PM
Post #1

7T Porsh

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,782
Region Association: Southern California

There is a fitting on the little box where the oil filler is. i have a dual carb setup. i am guessing this is the vent for the crankcase. It blows pretty good when the engine is running.

I guess on a stock car this routes to the air filter setup; where should it go on a dual carb?

Air cleaners don't have any place.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tradisrad
post Sep 20 2010, 12:11 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,815
Region Association: Northern California

It needs to goto the air cleaner. Can you put a tube into the air cleaner to attach the hosme to?
+Quote Post
7TPorsh
post Sep 20 2010, 12:22 PM
Post #3

7T Porsh

Member No.: 5,782
Region Association: Southern California

No holes on the air cleaner holders. I have velocity stacks inside the oval shaped cleaners. no fittings on the cleaners top or bottom.

i suppose I need to drill a hole and put a grommet? Fitting? I imagine there must be something out there.

lots of us have the carbs; is there no easy solution? Maybe I need new cleaners?

but I'm a CSOB...
+Quote Post
70_914
post Sep 20 2010, 07:52 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 11,096
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Sep 20 2010, 11:22 AM) *

No holes on the air cleaner holders. I have velocity stacks inside the oval shaped cleaners. no fittings on the cleaners top or bottom.

i suppose I need to drill a hole and put a grommet? Fitting? I imagine there must be something out there.

lots of us have the carbs; is there no easy solution? Maybe I need new cleaners?

but I'm a CSOB...

You can run a breather box setup. Usually consists of one hose from each valve cover and one from that filler "box". K&N makes one specific for small displacement, high performance VW motors that includes some baffles in order to keep oil from escaping. Empi has a box with a sponge inside, works in a similar fashion.

Venting to the atmosphere will not work as well as running a hose to your air cleaner base, though. Pressure will build up inside your case on long uphill runs if you vent to the atmosphere. Best system is to use scavengers welded to your exhaust that will pull a vacuum in your engine, but there are opinions that a flat 4 does not make the even exhaust pulses needed to pull pressure from the case. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 02:03 PM