Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vent On Oil Filler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
7TPorsh
There is a fitting on the little box where the oil filler is. i have a dual carb setup. i am guessing this is the vent for the crankcase. It blows pretty good when the engine is running.

I guess on a stock car this routes to the air filter setup; where should it go on a dual carb?

Air cleaners don't have any place.
tradisrad
It needs to goto the air cleaner. Can you put a tube into the air cleaner to attach the hosme to?
7TPorsh
No holes on the air cleaner holders. I have velocity stacks inside the oval shaped cleaners. no fittings on the cleaners top or bottom.

i suppose I need to drill a hole and put a grommet? Fitting? I imagine there must be something out there.

lots of us have the carbs; is there no easy solution? Maybe I need new cleaners?

but I'm a CSOB...
70_914
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Sep 20 2010, 11:22 AM) *

No holes on the air cleaner holders. I have velocity stacks inside the oval shaped cleaners. no fittings on the cleaners top or bottom.

i suppose I need to drill a hole and put a grommet? Fitting? I imagine there must be something out there.

lots of us have the carbs; is there no easy solution? Maybe I need new cleaners?

but I'm a CSOB...

You can run a breather box setup. Usually consists of one hose from each valve cover and one from that filler "box". K&N makes one specific for small displacement, high performance VW motors that includes some baffles in order to keep oil from escaping. Empi has a box with a sponge inside, works in a similar fashion.

Venting to the atmosphere will not work as well as running a hose to your air cleaner base, though. Pressure will build up inside your case on long uphill runs if you vent to the atmosphere. Best system is to use scavengers welded to your exhaust that will pull a vacuum in your engine, but there are opinions that a flat 4 does not make the even exhaust pulses needed to pull pressure from the case. confused24.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.