Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Deja Vu All Over Again! - VW-Porsche JV's, New talk about a joint small Porsche with VW
Tom_T
post Sep 23 2010, 11:33 PM
Post #1

TMI....

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Read here & feel it happening all over again! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100922/CARNEWS/100929978

Maybe it will look less 356-ish & more 914-ish like this "Artist's Deception" sketch - (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Sep 24 2010, 09:45 AM
Post #2

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

WTLY
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Zach
+Quote Post
smontanaro
post Sep 24 2010, 10:19 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 4,197
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Zach,

What does "WTLY" mean? I googled for its definition and was told it is a "hot adult contemporary radio station in the Tallahassee, Florida, market," which I suspect is not what you meant when you used it.

S
+Quote Post
jsayre914
post Sep 24 2010, 10:22 AM
Post #4

Speed Up !!!

Member No.: 8,696

QUOTE(smontanaro @ Sep 24 2010, 12:19 PM) *

Zach,

What does "WTLY" mean? I googled for its definition and was told it is a "hot adult contemporary radio station in the Tallahassee, Florida, market," which I suspect is not what you meant when you used it.

S

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Sep 24 2010, 10:31 AM
Post #5

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

The big question for me would be if the car will be an affordable entry level car. Porsche will have to sell a lot more of them to make the same profit from selling 911's and other higher end cars. There have been rumors about a car like this for a long time.
WYHXKLM (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Sep 24 2010, 10:34 AM
Post #6

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Sep 24 2010, 10:59 AM
Post #7

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

QUOTE(smontanaro @ Sep 24 2010, 11:19 AM) *

Zach,

S

Ha!

WTLY is a derivative of the internet slang "WTLW" which means "Welcome To Last Week" and is commonly used to pwn newbs in faster moving forums. Replace "week" with "year."

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)

Now you know. So when Scotty eventually posts the following image in one of his threads you can totally pwn him!
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/pointlessbanter.net-1435-1285347546.1.jpg)

Zach
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Sep 24 2010, 11:29 AM
Post #8

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Sep 24 2010, 09:34 AM) *

Tom T.......this thread or 1 similar was talked about mths ago.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) .....so I agree (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/deadhorse.gif)
+Quote Post
nathansnathan
post Sep 24 2010, 11:45 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 11,782
Region Association: None

That artist's rendition looks exactly like a Toyota MR2?
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.mr2spyderforum.com-11782-1285350302.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Sep 24 2010, 12:50 PM
Post #10

TMI....

Yes, but last year & previous to that, VW didn't own Porsche, & AW is updating in the linked article that VW is now talking about reopening the BlueSport based model from which the concept sketch by the MT/"arteeest" was originally based originally printed/online in 9/09 - FWIW.

You guys actually have to READ the linked article for the update post to make sense! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

However, what I found interesting is that it's once again a joint VW-Porsche product which their talking about to help bail out Porsche's flagging sales on the Boxster/Cayman & 911/et al higher end lines. In fact, if you look at 2008 - 10 - it's their "other" joint product - the Toureg/Cayenne which is keeping sales numbers afloat, with only the Panamera adding significantly to total sales this year.

Ergo, "Deja vu all over again"! .... which fans of George Carlin & old fartz like me will recognize as a phrase which is repetitively redundant! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Elliot - regardless of profit margins - if ANY auto mfgr cannot meet the new more restrictive/higher mpg CAFE standards, then they'll be relegated to a minuscule production no. as a specialty maker only - & Porsche is way too big for that, & won't make it with their few specialty hybrids (918, GT2 Hybrid, etc.).

Ergo, they basically have to come out with something at the low end which gets high mpg to pull the total fleet's production up to the new CAFE standard by 2015 IIRC, & it won't average across all of VW's subsidiaries, but rather per each maker. So Porsche has to do something to get into CAFE compliance, & VW is now pushing for adaptation of a model they already have on the boards & out.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Sep 24 2010, 12:56 PM
Post #11

TMI....

QUOTE(Drums66 @ Sep 24 2010, 10:29 AM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Sep 24 2010, 09:34 AM) *

Tom T.......this thread or 1 similar was talked about mths ago.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) .....so I agree (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/deadhorse.gif)

BTW - there have probably been a dozen threads which I've seen on this subject since I joined the mayhem here last year, sooooo.......... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)

Don't shoot the messenger, go post at AW on their reader comments! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Sep 24 2010, 01:00 PM
Post #12

TMI....

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 24 2010, 09:59 AM) *

QUOTE(smontanaro @ Sep 24 2010, 11:19 AM) *

Zach,

S

Ha!

WTLY is a derivative of the internet slang "WTLW" which means "Welcome To Last Week" and is commonly used to pwn newbs in faster moving forums. Replace "week" with "year."

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)

Now you know. So when Scotty eventually posts the following image in one of his threads you can totally pwn him!
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/pointlessbanter.net-1435-1285347546.1.jpg)

Zach

Glad you clarified that Zach! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Also - that pic reminds me of when Johnny Carson asked Arnold Palmer if he did anything special before golf tournaments, Palmer replied that he had his wife "kiss his balls", to which Carson barely responded while cracking-up - I'll bet that makes your putter stand up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
(I'm paraphrasing it all here)

Arnold got pissed & wouldn't come on the show for some time too - no sense of humor nor of irony, like some folks today. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Sep 24 2010, 01:01 PM
Post #13

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

This conversation has been going on since...1993 when they first showed the prototype 986.

"It's gonna have a VW-flat 4 and a Porsche Flat 6, sweet!"

Not ever going to happen again. Porsche learned its lessons with the 914, 924 etc.
+Quote Post
montoya 73 2.0
post Sep 24 2010, 01:30 PM
Post #14

Lack of consideration to others, and Selfish!

Member No.: 3,016
Region Association: Central California

I don't think it will happen either but if by chance it does, low to mid 20K is about where I would SERIOUSLY think about buying one!

By chance, has anyone seen the "New" Speedster Porsche is going to build? Only 356 of them will be available.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Sep 24 2010, 01:40 PM
Post #15

TMI....

QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Sep 24 2010, 10:45 AM) *

That artist's rendition looks exactly like a Toyota MR2?
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.mr2spyderforum.com-11782-1285350302.1.jpg)

Attached Image

Well, not exactly, but similar! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

.... can you spot the differences with the pix side-by-side Nathan? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
....... (top-to-bottom - for the nit pickers)

Hint - the big one is the 914-esque integral rollbar with indents for the removable targa top.

But then, it's not a Porsche nor VW design study, & other concept sketches by outsiders have looked more like a "baby boxster" in styling - so it's all conjecture!

Here's links to the original articles also showing the VW BlueSport concept sketch:

http://www.motortrend.com/future/future_ve..._914/index.html

http://www.automotive.com/future-cars/90/8...-914/index.html

Old news has a way of repetitively repeating itself! .... oooops! there I go again! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Maybe someone else has the link or a pic of the actual BlueSport model to post? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Root & Montoya - My guess would be probably mid-20's to mid-30's for a 4 & mid-30's to mid-40's or low-50's for the 6 (about where the base Boxster 6 started initially).

Also my guess is that Porsche has to come out with something with high mpg & high enough sales volume to offset all the other pricier cars they want to continue to sell - even if it's a thin margin, because it allows them to continue to sell high margin but lower mpg P-cars! It's almost like a 2-fer deal when it comes to marketing them.

Time will tell - maybe by early 2011??
... whoda thunk they'd announce the 918 going into production mid-2010!!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
johannes
post Sep 24 2010, 01:50 PM
Post #16

Club Porsche 914 France President

Member No.: 5,409
Region Association: France

Deja vu ... I like it when you use french words ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

And now the way to pronounce it right ...

...Attached File  Deja_vu.mp3 ( 11.19k ) Number of downloads: 200
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Sep 24 2010, 02:12 PM
Post #17

TMI....

QUOTE(johannes @ Sep 24 2010, 12:50 PM) *

Deja vu ... I like it when you use french words ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

And now the way to pronounce it right ...

...Attached File  Deja_vu.mp3 ( 11.19k ) Number of downloads: 200

Oui, oui!!!! ..... (pronounced wee-wee (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) )

4 years of high school French classes 40-44 years ago Johannes, & I can't remember much more than that - dang half-zymers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Hey - I've gotten lots of compliments on those "Comin-n-Goin" t-shirts & hoodies you did for me! One USC & 356 guy swears he's going to get cardinal red/gold 356 ones from you too, after seeing that color combo on my 914 one.

You guys should check out Johannes' stuff - really nice quality & graphics, & he may even have free shipping for members going on!
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Sep 25 2010, 12:03 AM
Post #18

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

It's the 911 speedster instead. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 05:25 PM