Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Deja Vu All Over Again! - VW-Porsche JV's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom_T
Read here & feel it happening all over again! biggrin.gif

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100922/CARNEWS/100929978

Maybe it will look less 356-ish & more 914-ish like this "Artist's Deception" sketch - shades.gif

Click to view attachment

popcorn[1].gif
VaccaRabite
WTLY
poke.gif

smile.gif
Zach
smontanaro
Zach,

What does "WTLY" mean? I googled for its definition and was told it is a "hot adult contemporary radio station in the Tallahassee, Florida, market," which I suspect is not what you meant when you used it.

S
jsayre914
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Sep 24 2010, 12:19 PM) *

Zach,

What does "WTLY" mean? I googled for its definition and was told it is a "hot adult contemporary radio station in the Tallahassee, Florida, market," which I suspect is not what you meant when you used it.

S

av-943.gif av-943.gif

Elliot Cannon
The big question for me would be if the car will be an affordable entry level car. Porsche will have to sell a lot more of them to make the same profit from selling 911's and other higher end cars. There have been rumors about a car like this for a long time.
WYHXKLM poke.gif
Root_Werks
dead horse.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Sep 24 2010, 11:19 AM) *

Zach,

S

Ha!

WTLY is a derivative of the internet slang "WTLW" which means "Welcome To Last Week" and is commonly used to pwn newbs in faster moving forums. Replace "week" with "year."

beerchug.gif drunk.gif

Now you know. So when Scotty eventually posts the following image in one of his threads you can totally pwn him!
IPB Image

Zach
Drums66
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Sep 24 2010, 09:34 AM) *

dead horse.gif

Tom T.......this thread or 1 similar was talked about mths ago.
idea.gif popcorn[1].gif .....so I agree dead horse.gif deadhorse.gif
nathansnathan
That artist's rendition looks exactly like a Toyota MR2?
IPB Image
Tom_T
Yes, but last year & previous to that, VW didn't own Porsche, & AW is updating in the linked article that VW is now talking about reopening the BlueSport based model from which the concept sketch by the MT/"arteeest" was originally based originally printed/online in 9/09 - FWIW.

You guys actually have to READ the linked article for the update post to make sense! dry.gif

However, what I found interesting is that it's once again a joint VW-Porsche product which their talking about to help bail out Porsche's flagging sales on the Boxster/Cayman & 911/et al higher end lines. In fact, if you look at 2008 - 10 - it's their "other" joint product - the Toureg/Cayenne which is keeping sales numbers afloat, with only the Panamera adding significantly to total sales this year.

Ergo, "Deja vu all over again"! .... which fans of George Carlin & old fartz like me will recognize as a phrase which is repetitively redundant! laugh.gif

Elliot - regardless of profit margins - if ANY auto mfgr cannot meet the new more restrictive/higher mpg CAFE standards, then they'll be relegated to a minuscule production no. as a specialty maker only - & Porsche is way too big for that, & won't make it with their few specialty hybrids (918, GT2 Hybrid, etc.).

Ergo, they basically have to come out with something at the low end which gets high mpg to pull the total fleet's production up to the new CAFE standard by 2015 IIRC, & it won't average across all of VW's subsidiaries, but rather per each maker. So Porsche has to do something to get into CAFE compliance, & VW is now pushing for adaptation of a model they already have on the boards & out.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Sep 24 2010, 10:29 AM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Sep 24 2010, 09:34 AM) *

dead horse.gif

Tom T.......this thread or 1 similar was talked about mths ago.
idea.gif popcorn[1].gif .....so I agree dead horse.gif deadhorse.gif

BTW - there have probably been a dozen threads which I've seen on this subject since I joined the mayhem here last year, sooooo.......... bootyshake.gif

Don't shoot the messenger, go post at AW on their reader comments! biggrin.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 24 2010, 09:59 AM) *

QUOTE(smontanaro @ Sep 24 2010, 11:19 AM) *

Zach,

S

Ha!

WTLY is a derivative of the internet slang "WTLW" which means "Welcome To Last Week" and is commonly used to pwn newbs in faster moving forums. Replace "week" with "year."

beerchug.gif drunk.gif

Now you know. So when Scotty eventually posts the following image in one of his threads you can totally pwn him!
IPB Image

Zach

Glad you clarified that Zach! blink.gif

Also - that pic reminds me of when Johnny Carson asked Arnold Palmer if he did anything special before golf tournaments, Palmer replied that he had his wife "kiss his balls", to which Carson barely responded while cracking-up - I'll bet that makes your putter stand up! laugh.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif
(I'm paraphrasing it all here)

Arnold got pissed & wouldn't come on the show for some time too - no sense of humor nor of irony, like some folks today. shades.gif
Root_Werks
This conversation has been going on since...1993 when they first showed the prototype 986.

"It's gonna have a VW-flat 4 and a Porsche Flat 6, sweet!"

Not ever going to happen again. Porsche learned its lessons with the 914, 924 etc.
montoya 73 2.0
I don't think it will happen either but if by chance it does, low to mid 20K is about where I would SERIOUSLY think about buying one!

By chance, has anyone seen the "New" Speedster Porsche is going to build? Only 356 of them will be available.
Tom_T
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Sep 24 2010, 10:45 AM) *

That artist's rendition looks exactly like a Toyota MR2?
IPB Image

Click to view attachment

Well, not exactly, but similar! shades.gif

.... can you spot the differences with the pix side-by-side Nathan? confused24.gif
....... (top-to-bottom - for the nit pickers)

Hint - the big one is the 914-esque integral rollbar with indents for the removable targa top.

But then, it's not a Porsche nor VW design study, & other concept sketches by outsiders have looked more like a "baby boxster" in styling - so it's all conjecture!

Here's links to the original articles also showing the VW BlueSport concept sketch:

http://www.motortrend.com/future/future_ve..._914/index.html

http://www.automotive.com/future-cars/90/8...-914/index.html

Old news has a way of repetitively repeating itself! .... oooops! there I go again! biggrin.gif

Maybe someone else has the link or a pic of the actual BlueSport model to post? confused24.gif

Root & Montoya - My guess would be probably mid-20's to mid-30's for a 4 & mid-30's to mid-40's or low-50's for the 6 (about where the base Boxster 6 started initially).

Also my guess is that Porsche has to come out with something with high mpg & high enough sales volume to offset all the other pricier cars they want to continue to sell - even if it's a thin margin, because it allows them to continue to sell high margin but lower mpg P-cars! It's almost like a 2-fer deal when it comes to marketing them.

Time will tell - maybe by early 2011??
... whoda thunk they'd announce the 918 going into production mid-2010!!?? confused24.gif

popcorn[1].gif
johannes
Deja vu ... I like it when you use french words ... wink.gif

And now the way to pronounce it right ...

...Click to view attachment
Tom_T
QUOTE(johannes @ Sep 24 2010, 12:50 PM) *

Deja vu ... I like it when you use french words ... wink.gif

And now the way to pronounce it right ...

...Click to view attachment

Oui, oui!!!! ..... (pronounced wee-wee biggrin.gif )

4 years of high school French classes 40-44 years ago Johannes, & I can't remember much more than that - dang half-zymers! blink.gif

Hey - I've gotten lots of compliments on those "Comin-n-Goin" t-shirts & hoodies you did for me! One USC & 356 guy swears he's going to get cardinal red/gold 356 ones from you too, after seeing that color combo on my 914 one.

You guys should check out Johannes' stuff - really nice quality & graphics, & he may even have free shipping for members going on!
bandjoey
It's the 911 speedster instead. mad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.