Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WOT: Used TREMEC T5Z, What should I watch out for?
anderssj
post Sep 26 2010, 12:12 PM
Post #1

Dog is my copilot...

Group: Members
Member No.: 207
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

No 914 content, but the folks here are a better forum than any other I know, so here goes:

I've got a line on a used TREMEC T5Z transmission with a Hurst shifter. The transmission has just over 5K miles on it, and the guy is asking about half of what it costs for the same thing new at Summit racing. He says he's selling it so he can put a pro-shifted TKO trans in his car (greater torque capacity, etc.)

Aside from asking him the usual questions (any leaks, noises, gear clash, jumping out of gear, etc.) is there anything I should be looking for with this trans, or is it like most other used parts (you pay your money and you take your chances")?

Thanks in advance for your time and insight!

Steve A-
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Gint
post Sep 26 2010, 08:51 PM
Post #2

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

No idea. But I'm interested in the following this thread and reading the responses. Here's a (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)

I assume this is 5 speed. What's the asking price?
+Quote Post
70_914
post Sep 26 2010, 09:14 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 11,096
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

T-5 transmissions are known for chewing through main shaft bearings. How do I know? The "world class" T-5 in my turbo coupe T-bird crapped out for that very reason. I replaced it with a regular T-5 and called it good.

Look into a good ATF for stick shift transmissions. I run GM Synchromesh in my SHO transmission and love it. Stay away from B&M Trick Shift.
+Quote Post
anderssj
post Sep 27 2010, 06:57 AM
Post #4

Dog is my copilot...

Member No.: 207
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Thanks for the replies (and the (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif) ). Asking price was 800 cash. Unfortunately the box sold while I was at a wedding this weekend (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Oh well, I'll keep looking. Besides, the delay here will give me more time for the teener (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Thanks again,

Steve A-
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 12:25 AM