Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> hard start
oldschool
post Sep 26 2010, 05:18 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,705
Region Association: Southern California

This is the first time this has happen? after a long run I stop to get a drink,and it seem to be a bit harder to start, It was hot that day, Today I was out riding and as I was ready to put her in the garage, It did it again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) So here it is 1973 1.7 org d fI
today it was over 100 so do you think vapor?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom
post Sep 26 2010, 07:26 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,626
Region Association: None

If you mean it is turning over OK, but doesn't want to fire, that has been discussed here. Do a search and you will see. I tried, but my search skills are obviously no good. I get x thousands of answers!??
Basically it is a heat problem "fooling" the ecu to be extra rich.
Tom
+Quote Post
oldschool
post Sep 26 2010, 08:53 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE(esses62 @ Sep 26 2010, 05:47 PM) *

QUOTE(oldschool @ Sep 26 2010, 07:18 PM) *

This is the first time this has happen? after a long run I stop to get a drink,and it seem to be a bit harder to start, It was hot that day, Today I was out riding and as I was ready to put her in the garage, It did it again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) So here it is 1973 1.7 org d fI

Old school, what do you mean by hard to start?

Does the starter turn slowly or not at all like the typical 'hot start' problem or does the engine turn over at the normal speed but doesn't fire? I am sure the FI gurus can pitch in on this one
yeah it turn over easy but hard to fire, but only when I hit the gas does it fire up....sound dumb but I did put arco gas it the other day?
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Sep 26 2010, 09:16 PM
Post #4

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643

Some year models you're supposed to gie ut gas when starting, IIRC
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
oldschool
post Sep 26 2010, 11:08 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

I never had that happen before, It always would fire right up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Sep 27 2010, 01:40 AM
Post #6

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

QUOTE(oldschool @ Sep 26 2010, 07:53 PM) *

QUOTE(esses62 @ Sep 26 2010, 05:47 PM) *

QUOTE(oldschool @ Sep 26 2010, 07:18 PM) *

Old school, what do you mean by hard to start?

Does the starter turn slowly or not at all like the typical 'hot start' problem or does the engine turn over at the normal speed but doesn't fire? I am sure the FI gurus can pitch in on this one
yeah it turn over easy but hard to fire, but only when I hit the gas does it fire up....sound dumb but I did put arco gas it the other day?

Jaimie - the owners' manual says to put the pedal to the floor & hold it while cranking until the motor catches (or a reasonable time cranking then retry) & release after started. That's D-jet SOP per Porsche.

If your fuel pump is still in the rear/engine compartment, then it's well worthwhile to get the reloc. kit (AA & ??) & move it up in the notch behind the steering rack cover per the factory service bulletin. I had mine done back in 78 after sitting it out at the Blythe Denny's coming back from summer water skiing, & no vapor lock problems after that!
+Quote Post
Tom
post Sep 27 2010, 08:14 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,626
Region Association: None

Found it this AM.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=99261&hl=
Tom
+Quote Post
mburkhart
post Sep 28 2010, 09:09 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 4,364
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

If your fuel pump is still in the rear/engine compartment, then it's well worthwhile to get the reloc. kit (AA & ??) & move it up in the notch behind the steering rack cover per the factory service bulletin. I had mine done back in 78 after sitting it out at the Blythe Denny's coming back from summer water skiing, & no vapor lock problems after that!

So you're a believer in the vapor lock issue + fix? My car stalled this summer on a hot day, but there appears to be some debate on these forums about whether vapor lock is a real issue or not. I'm not sure what to believe at this point.
+Quote Post
bmtrnavsky
post Sep 28 2010, 06:41 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 8,245
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(mburkhart @ Sep 28 2010, 08:09 AM) *

So you're a believer in the vapor lock issue + fix? My car stalled this summer on a hot day, but there appears to be some debate on these forums about whether vapor lock is a real issue or not. I'm not sure what to believe at this point.

I have the exact same symptom as you... Get in in the morning and it fires right up. Motor 10 minutes down the road to the gas station, shut it down, fule up and it cranks over hard and fast for 30-45 seconds then slowly comes to life. Then it runs but wants to die for about 2-3 minutes.

I have my fuel pump in the front and that didn't help, but today when I fueled up I pressed the gas pedal to the floor and held it before I started cranking the motor and it fired up just like it does cold. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
oldschool
post Sep 28 2010, 07:16 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE(bmtrnavsky @ Sep 28 2010, 05:41 PM) *

QUOTE(mburkhart @ Sep 28 2010, 08:09 AM) *

I have the exact same symptom as you... Get in in the morning and it fires right up. Motor 10 minutes down the road to the gas station, shut it down, fule up and it cranks over hard and fast for 30-45 seconds then slowly comes to life. Then it runs but wants to die for about 2-3 minutes.

I have my fuel pump in the front and that didn't help, but today when I fueled up I pressed the gas pedal to the floor and held it before I started cranking the motor and it fired up just like it does cold. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

cool with this 110 heat i will give it a try.
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Sep 28 2010, 08:31 PM
Post #11

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

FI or Carbed?

If FI then it's the CHTS!!
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Sep 28 2010, 08:55 PM
Post #12

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Sep 28 2010, 07:31 PM) *

FI or Carbed?

If FI then it's the CHTS!!

Your reasoning is unclear, and your conclusion is unsupported and false.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 12:59 PM