Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Anyone Used Jet Hot?, Jet Hot coating for HX and Mufflers
scott.lingerfelt@gmail.com
post Sep 27 2010, 02:31 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,337
Region Association: South East States

I am thinking about having my Heat Exchangers and Mufflers Jet Hot coated.

Has anyone done this on their Type IV 2.0L? My concern is how does this affect the heat at the heads compared to standard? Will it increase the temps or will they be about the same?

Thanks in advance,
Scott
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 25)
post Sep 29 2010, 07:10 PM
Post #21

Thanks Mark!

The guy doing my HX and muffler had mentioned it is all in the prep. If you spend a little more time in the beginning it should last a long time.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Sep 29 2010, 07:42 PM
Post #22

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(JamesM @ Sep 29 2010, 08:54 PM) *

How do you figure it would provide better heating inside the cab? If they coat the pipes properly inside and out down the length of the pipe (including under the air ducting) then the jethot is going to reduce the heat transfer from the exhaust air to the cabin air.

The only way i could see this not affacting the heat is if they just coated the outside of the entire heat exchanger and not the pipes under the ducting which does not make much sense to me as you are not getting any rust protection on the pipes themselves.

Let us know how it turns out.

QUOTE(scott.lingerfelt@gmail.com @ Sep 29 2010, 10:29 AM) *

I have sent off both of my HX to the coaters. I am going to compare head temps and engine bay temps both before and after.

Overall it should provide better even heating throughout the HX's which will offer before flow.

It should also provide better heating in the cab which I really do not need most of the year.

Update soon!

I will agree that it won't increase heat transfer, but I don't know if it would reduce the heating ability much.
Ceramic coated cools faster than raw steel, but it gets very fuching hot while the engine is running. I have a pretty damn big scar on my inner forearm from touching a ceramic coated header.
+Quote Post
post Sep 30 2010, 08:24 AM
Post #23

Thanks James.

You are correct! It should reduce the heat exchange if they coat the HX as they should. I was thinking of just coating the outside which would create a shell to somewhat contain the heat.

We will see what happens.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Sep 30 2010, 09:02 AM
Post #24

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

I'd get it all coated as good as they can reach with their spray wands. You won't be giving up much heat.
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Sep 30 2010, 05:01 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

I am not to familar with the properties of the different ceramic coatings out there however one of the big selling points(for me anyways) of jet-hot is that is reduces the skin temp of the pipes. They claim the extreme stearling coating can drop skin temps 400 degrees. I dont know if it actaully drops the temps that much, but it does drop them for sure. Before i had my euro race headers coated i was replaceing my clutch cable after evey autocross due to heat damage. The jethot took care of that and cut down the heat under the car pretty drastically.

Do other ceramic coatings have this insulation property or is that a jethot thing?

I will agree that it won't increase heat transfer, but I don't know if it would reduce the heating ability much.
Ceramic coated cools faster than raw steel, but it gets very fuching hot while the engine is running. I have a pretty damn big scar on my inner forearm from touching a ceramic coated header.
+Quote Post
rfuerst911sc
post Oct 1 2010, 05:26 AM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,980

On my GT clone with a 3.0 I had my headers ceramic coated locally. I found a shop by doing a search on the net. Per the owner Jet Hot is a " name brand " but the actual coating is purchased commercially from the same vendors. Not sure if true but that's what I was told. Anyway I had the headers coated in silver/chrome color and they look great. I've been running the car since February of this year and they look as good as when freshly coated. And yes the inside and outside were coated. And by using a local business I didn't have to deal with the cost of freight or the possibility of being damaged/lost during shipping. Plus the cost was a little bit cheaper than Jet Hot website stated. Hope this helps.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 01:13 AM