Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Electrical Question, found it, thanks to me
76-914
post Sep 29 2010, 07:06 PM
Post #1

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Well I've developed a sitiuation very similar to the recent "Parasitic battery drain" thread, including the bum meter. I've got a .2A draw and it's on one of the small red harnessed wires at the + batt post. Do they run thusly; 1 to 14 pin connector, 1 to 12 pin connector, 1 to the starter switch and 1 to the fuse panel under the dash???? I'm pretty sure it's the starter or starter switch because I still have a drain with all fuses pulled from fuse panel and the 2 fuses in the relay box. Also with all 4 relays and all plugs disconnected from the relay box. Input, suggestions. BTW, my batt grnd is shiney clean. I (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) you not.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
pcar916
post Sep 30 2010, 03:34 PM
Post #2

Is that a Lola?

Member No.: 4,188
Region Association: None

Big clock? This just happened to a friend on his truck and it turned out to be the alternator after a rebuild. Something was "wonky" inside. I had never seen that before.

Even if I have a slow current drain now I wouldn't know it 'cause the battery cut-off switch is turned off every time I get out of the car. I don't have a clock so it's not a problem.

I would clean all of the other grounding points though, like the transaxle strap and the one on the firewall behind the driver. I wasn't having any problems with the car.

But grounding gremlins annoy me enough that I ran a 10-gauge cable from the negative battery-terminal in the front trunk through the cockpit and into the rear of the car and tied together all of the grounding points to that... I even added one or two as I recall.

Good Luck!
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 2 2010, 04:13 PM
Post #3

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif) I think I may have found it. First I isolated the 4 lg red wires which were bundeled. I was getting a .2a draw when these were connected to the + post. There was no draw on the starter side. Did I mention this began the day it got to 106 here? That was 3 days before it got to 113 in LA. You do the math. So this morning I hook everything back up except I used a terminal block to reconnect the previously bundeled wires Attached Image Attached Imageand SOB; the draw is gone. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) Now why in the Hell would that thing up and dissapear like a fart in the wind? Oh well! I crank the motor over and nothing. Then I remember I hadn't heard the FP run. Switch on; nutin. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) After I regained my composure, I opened my copy of the FP flow chart and I traced it down to a faulty relay board. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) I hope that's it and not 4 other things.
+Quote Post
silver74insocal
post Oct 2 2010, 04:47 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 11,073

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) go Kent go!! glad to see you are still chasing down gremlins i hope to get back on track with mine soon. hopefully we'll be meeting up again at the g & r swap meet again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) good luck and keep up the good fight. Dave
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 05:01 PM