Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: Super Beetles, Experiences?
Mark Henry
post Oct 2 2010, 09:57 AM
Post #41

that's what I do!

Group: Members
Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

I guess from the doctors point of view no one in there right mind should buy or restore a 914...just not worth it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
speed metal army
post Oct 2 2010, 10:58 AM
Post #42

Waiting for the rain to stop...

Member No.: 12,137
Region Association: Canada

Had a 73.Bulletproof motor!Drove it when I was 16-18 yrs old and thumped on the poor old car pretty good.That was in 89-91,and I still see my old texas yellow super beetle cruisin around to this day!
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Oct 2 2010, 11:11 AM
Post #43

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

Why so negative? Did you read what I wrote??

The Beetle was a great car "back i the day" and is still highly restorable and fun. The 914 "back in the day" was a great car and because it was so ahead of its time, can still be reliably and comfortable driven on a daily basis, just like a 356. The rage is to restore all of the unique air cooled cars no matter what they are even the rare 411!!!

I will agree with you though Mark by saying that in this economy, one can buy a near perfect 914 or bug for a fraction of what it would cost to restore!!!!! SO 914 restoration is "just not worth it" unless you are umbilically tied to the car

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 2 2010, 08:57 AM) *

I guess from the doctors point of view no one in there right mind should buy or restore a 914...just not worth it.

+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Oct 2 2010, 11:11 AM
Post #44

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I love the Superbeetles. Curved windshield, large front trunk, more room inside for the drivers.

Having the windshield out of the way meant a lot to a guy who has a chin dimple carved out by an in-yer face flat VW windshield

Bought one new in 1973 and it was the best most reliable car I ever owned. Lasted for 25 years, ran for 250000 miles on the original engine without a rebuild, and cost me $2525 tax, tag, title, and options at the dealer.

Only things that ever crapped out were the distributor (weight through the side) and a generator. Other than that, it was change the oil and adjust the valves religiously (Same as a teener George!). Did shocks once just because they had 125k on them, replaced a couple of mufflers, and a replaced the clutch (once). Well, more like 3 times for the clutch. The 2 rebuilt clutches were crap, the new factory one was great.

Car lived in the salt air near the Florida beach and rusted WAAAYYYY less than the modern cars.

That car taught me the difference between quality and durability. Quality means runs right out of the box, durability means lasts long. Compared to the POS highly rated high quality HONDUH ACCORD, the Superbeetle had the durability of fine china, the HONDUH had the durability of a paper plate. When the much more rusty POS 1978 Honduh crapped at 70k, the Superbeetle kept on going and almost never required maitenance.

Problem areas- rusted around the curved air intake behind the quarter windows. Foam sprayed between the outer body and the inner pannels caused rust from the inside. Not sure if salt wicked there or the foam eats the metal over time. Fan box- fan is supported by 4 rubber bungee cords that deteriorate.

Wierd things- in snowy weather, old heater systems may not produce enough heat. For a CSOB like me with a sagging fan and original 250K heater boxes, it meant driving with one hand on the wheel, and the ice scraper in the other. In other words, heaters may need going through.

Great crash protection from frontal crashes. Saw one rearend a car at 45. The bumpers absorbed energy and collapsed back to the body. The body began absorbing energy and crumpled back to the horizontal spare in the front. The front spare acted like a gigantic rubber bladder and absorbed a ton of impact, and the rear of the spare tire cup bent in a little into the trailing arm area. Thought it was my wife- car was right color and at the end of her dad's street. Driver got out and was unhurt. Breathed a big sigh of releif when the guy got out of the car didn't look like my 105 pound red headed woman.

Ken
+Quote Post
paws4862
post Oct 3 2010, 09:51 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 11,608
Region Association: None

My Wife and I have a 72 SB, she drive it 55 mi. a day to and from work all wear round I rebuilt the motor two years ago and it’s been a great car for us , rust look behind the rear side windows around the vents, behind the front tires where the water hits the inner fenders, also just between the doors and rear fenders, if the floors have rust in them look real good at the heater channels hope this helps
+Quote Post
JoeSharp
post Oct 4 2010, 08:22 AM
Post #46

In Irvine, Ca. May 15-18

Member No.: 898
Region Association: South East States

As usual I totally disagree with the source from aa. He has no more knowledge of The Super Beetle than he does whats on the shelf in his stock.
This was my DD till I quite work.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...672&hl=NARB
+Quote Post
rwilner
post Oct 4 2010, 08:33 AM
Post #47

No Ghosts in the Machine

Member No.: 11,530
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Oct 4 2010, 10:22 AM) *

As usual I totally disagree with the source from aa. He has no more knowledge of The Super Beetle than he does whats on the shelf in his stock.
This was my DD till I quite work.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...672&hl=NARB

Joe,
i think George made some good points, especially about safety. But, Abbie mostly drives around town to get groceries or to the train station to commute into Boston for work, so issues on the freeway aren't such a big concern for us.

In any event we will keep the accord, with ABS, 55 air bags, crumple zones, air conditioning, etc, for longer trips and to shuttle little ones around.

I'm definitely going to get one, just a question of when and for how much! you could say i've been bitten by the BUG!! (har har)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 06:07 PM