Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bike Rack Compilation Thread
Ferg
post Oct 8 2016, 07:24 PM
Post #81

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 116
Region Association: None

He was told and knew or had an idea. He Didn't care.

I was asked on Facebook if u could rotate the pieper rack to lower the overall height. Answer is yes but then engine lid would hit when opened
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dangrouche
post Oct 8 2016, 11:17 PM
Post #82

dangrouche

Member No.: 2,012
Region Association: None

Here is my rack, similar to a lot of others here; Mine uses a Thule head unit, a Yakima rail, and a Thule wheel strap that has been modified to fit on the Yakima rail. The wheel holder is also Thule. the seat stays of the bike are strapped down to aluminum plates attached beneath the targa and make for a solid triangulated mount. the wheel mount simply uses the velcro strap to keep the wheel from spinning. I had a different version from a couple of years ago, but just now used what rack parts I had laying around on an extra targa top.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Feb 28 2022, 09:00 PM
Post #83

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Thread bump with my solution to this problem.

@superhawk996 this is for you bud. :-)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1646103623.1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1646103624.2.jpg)
The finished product, with and without bikes.

My goal was to have a rack strong enough to mount 2 heavy-ish bikes and front wheels on m 914 so I could drive hundreds of miles away from home for bike camping car trips. AND, the top had to be removeable with the rack in place.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1646103625.3.jpg)

I used the 6 existing ski-rack mounting bolts and fabbed up the bar using a Thule bar from my very first car back in 1998 that has somehow stuck with me for the past 24 years. This pic is the MK2 mount I fabbed, as there is a requirement for spacers in order to clear the chrome targa bar trim. In this pic the mount is only tacked together and held with one loose hex cap screw for fitment. One of the tricks that came up was that the mount had to be at an angle to the Thule bar, to match the slight curve of the Targa.

Almost all the non-home made parts came from https://www.backcountry.com/.

I used fork mounts simply bolted to the bar to hold the bike at the front, and QR wheel mounts to hold the front wheels.

To hold the back tires to the car I used suction cup rear tire mounts. They work really well.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1646103625.4.jpg)
Here you can see that the clearance is TIGHT with my ancient Iguana mounted to the rack. In fact I chipped some paint taking the roof off and putting it back on. BUT I COULD AND DID TAKE THE ROOF OFF. If I were doing it again I'd make the mounts I fabbed up about an inch longer. But I was concerned about having too much of a lever pushing against the mount, and I also needed to be able to clear the spoiler for the rear tire. Also, I quickly realized with the 914 loaded with a tent, cots, sleeping gear, a cooler spare clothes, eating gear, and 2 people there was nowhere to put the roof anyway once removed.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1646103625.5.jpg)
Again, not a lot of room to spare with the spoiler in place. This pic also shows the beefy suction cup mount used to secure the rear of the bike to the car. The trunk cannot be opened while bikes are mounted - pack accordingly!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1646103626.6.jpg)
both bikes and both wheels mounted. The mount is strong, with minimal sway of the bikes while they are on it - no more then any fork mounted bike. I did not hammer any twisties with the bikes on the car.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1646103626.7.jpg)
Loaded with the bikes, and all the camping gear the car was HEAVY. It is sitting visibly lower then usual. Both trunks were filled, with the spare tire moved to the rear to make space up front for the cooler.

Driving the car fully loaded like this was disconcerting at first. But the night before the "big trip" I loaded the bikes on and did a late night blast up I83 about 40 miles. The bikes add a LOT of drag, but I was still able to drive the car about 85-90mph without issue aside from the CHT gauge going a bit higher then usual.

For the trip (about 150 miles one way) and loaded with all our camping gear, I drove it a lot more like a bus then a sports car for most of the trip. But I was still able to keep it at about 75 on the free way, and drive to the CHT like you would a bus. I was a good bit more ginger on the curves then usual.

My car usually get attention when I drive it. But my car with BIKES on it got a ton of attention. One guy we drove by pointed and yelled loud enough that we could clearly hear him "Holy shit, that little car has bikes on it. Thats cool!"

I will be changing things up a little bit this year (maybe). I bought a new bike (first new bike in 22 years) and it uses through axles rather then Quick Release tabs on the forks. But this will be a simple change up.

Zach
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Feb 28 2022, 09:27 PM
Post #84

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463
Region Association: Southern California

I think using the ski rack mounts is one of the best solutions. Although, I wonder if getting the forks down to the engine lid would help with the aero. I had always though of getting a 2nd engine lid and putting fork mounts (along with some reinforcement) directly on the metal of the engine lid, like shown on the black(ish) car on page 1.

I guess you’d have to watch your crank arms and pedals from digging/scratching up the trunk lid…
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jett
post Feb 28 2022, 11:01 PM
Post #85

Member No.: 17,686
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Feb 28 2022, 07:00 PM) *

Thread bump with my solution to this problem.

@superhawk996 this is for you bud. :-)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1646103623.1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1646103624.2.jpg)
The finished product, with and without bikes.

My goal was to have a rack strong enough to mount 2 heavy-ish bikes and front wheels on m 914 so I could drive hundreds of miles away from home for bike camping car trips. AND, the top had to be removeable with the rack in place.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1646103625.3.jpg)

I used the 6 existing ski-rack mounting bolts and fabbed up the bar using a Thule bar from my very first car back in 1998 that has somehow stuck with me for the past 24 years. This pic is the MK2 mount I fabbed, as there is a requirement for spacers in order to clear the chrome targa bar trim. In this pic the mount is only tacked together and held with one loose hex cap screw for fitment. One of the tricks that came up was that the mount had to be at an angle to the Thule bar, to match the slight curve of the Targa.

Almost all the non-home made parts came from https://www.backcountry.com/.

I used fork mounts simply bolted to the bar to hold the bike at the front, and QR wheel mounts to hold the front wheels.

To hold the back tires to the car I used suction cup rear tire mounts. They work really well.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1646103625.4.jpg)
Here you can see that the clearance is TIGHT with my ancient Iguana mounted to the rack. In fact I chipped some paint taking the roof off and putting it back on. BUT I COULD AND DID TAKE THE ROOF OFF. If I were doing it again I'd make the mounts I fabbed up about an inch longer. But I was concerned about having too much of a lever pushing against the mount, and I also needed to be able to clear the spoiler for the rear tire. Also, I quickly realized with the 914 loaded with a tent, cots, sleeping gear, a cooler spare clothes, eating gear, and 2 people there was nowhere to put the roof anyway once removed.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1646103625.5.jpg)
Again, not a lot of room to spare with the spoiler in place. This pic also shows the beefy suction cup mount used to secure the rear of the bike to the car. The trunk cannot be opened while bikes are mounted - pack accordingly!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1646103626.6.jpg)
both bikes and both wheels mounted. The mount is strong, with minimal sway of the bikes while they are on it - no more then any fork mounted bike. I did not hammer any twisties with the bikes on the car.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1646103626.7.jpg)
Loaded with the bikes, and all the camping gear the car was HEAVY. It is sitting visibly lower then usual. Both trunks were filled, with the spare tire moved to the rear to make space up front for the cooler.

Driving the car fully loaded like this was disconcerting at first. But the night before the "big trip" I loaded the bikes on and did a late night blast up I83 about 40 miles. The bikes add a LOT of drag, but I was still able to drive the car about 85-90mph without issue aside from the CHT gauge going a bit higher then usual.

For the trip (about 150 miles one way) and loaded with all our camping gear, I drove it a lot more like a bus then a sports car for most of the trip. But I was still able to keep it at about 75 on the free way, and drive to the CHT like you would a bus. I was a good bit more ginger on the curves then usual.

My car usually get attention when I drive it. But my car with BIKES on it got a ton of attention. One guy we drove by pointed and yelled loud enough that we could clearly hear him "Holy shit, that little car has bikes on it. Thats cool!"

I will be changing things up a little bit this year (maybe). I bought a new bike (first new bike in 22 years) and it uses through axles rather then Quick Release tabs on the forks. But this will be a simple change up.

Zach

Very nice! I now know what to do with the spare ski rack we have (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Mar 1 2022, 08:23 AM
Post #86

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

@VaccaRabite

thank you for link. Like the creative reuse of the ski rack holes . . . bookmarked for future . . .. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
shredtherad
post Oct 24 2022, 09:31 AM
Post #87

Member No.: 26,559
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

i picked up a RockBros. suction bike rack setup and ran it this weekend, worked well. i used a strap to add extra security. it is not in the photos…

Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
NotLance
post Jul 6 2023, 05:15 PM
Post #88

Member No.: 25,165
Region Association: Northern California

Okay so instead of putting the bike on the car, put the bike in the car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image

It just barely squeezes in there

Attached Image

(Spent the previous year at college making this folding bike concept.)
It is a little floppy around the hinges but hopefully the next year I'll get around to making another one that is more rigid.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 24 2024, 07:23 AM
Post #89

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

You went old school with the spinergy wheels. I haven’t seen them since the 90’s.
+Quote Post
NotLance
post Mar 24 2024, 10:29 AM
Post #90

Member No.: 25,165
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 24 2024, 06:23 AM) *

You went old school with the spinergy wheels. I haven’t seen them since the 90’s.

I don't ride them on group rides - with their 'reputation' but this set is the generation that doesn't explode. They are flatter than most wheels so I thought I would try them to save even more space.

They are probably the quickest wheels I've got save for some old dupont tri-spokes. My father used both for triathalons in the 90's.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 24 2024, 11:50 AM
Post #91

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(NotLance @ Mar 24 2024, 12:29 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 24 2024, 06:23 AM) *

I don't ride them on group rides - with their 'reputation' but this set is the generation that doesn't explode. They are flatter than most wheels so I thought I would try them to save even more space.

They are probably the quickest wheels I've got save for some old dupont tri-spokes. My father used both for triathalons in the 90's.

I was a test rider for the Tri spokes. A friend of mine, Mark Hopkins designed, oversaw development and production at DuPont. We worked with the UCI to get them approved for mass start racing. I still have 6 sets in my garage. They were very fast wheels.
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Mar 24 2024, 08:47 PM
Post #92

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Not a 914, but here is the rack I had on my Boxster. Made by Bird Automotive, it had a pair of receiver tubes that mounted under the car, and the rack then slid in (and out) easily. To prevent wobbles, it cam with straps that hooked onto the leading edge of the trunk lid. I changed that by adding a bracket that bolted into the Boxster rear tow hook hole behind the license plate.

I never tried but I bet the Bird rack could be adapted to the 914.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 12:38 AM