Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> riviera rims, balance
914 shifter
post Oct 19 2010, 08:47 PM
Post #1

airhead

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,111
Region Association: North East States

i had my wheels balanced and they had to put a lot of weights on them.are rivieras known for this? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 12)
Tom_T
post Oct 19 2010, 08:57 PM
Post #2

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(914 shifter @ Oct 19 2010, 07:47 PM) *

i had my wheels balanced and they had to put a lot of weights on them.are rivieras known for this? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Nope - at least not with my original Rivs - the later repops may be different, or you may have a bent/tweaked rim, or the tires may the problem.

FYI - the "real" Rivs look like this with the smooth outer rim (and interlocking lower case "r" logo on the center caps), whereas the repops have the lip to attach clip-on weights (not advised in any case & they look tacky).

Attached ImageAttached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
jaxdream
post Oct 20 2010, 07:39 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 9,270
Region Association: South East States

Not speaking from experience , from what I've read on the forum about wheels , the later repops some times take a lot of weights. You might contact Chris Foley - Tangerine Racing , he makes a set of centering rings for 914 hubs which center the wheels a lot better than the lugs do , some guys have used these with good success , YMMV...Good luck...

Jack / Jaxdream
+Quote Post
914 shifter
post Oct 20 2010, 09:10 AM
Post #4

airhead

QUOTE(jaxdream @ Oct 20 2010, 05:39 AM) *

Not speaking from experience , from what I've read on the forum about wheels , the later repops some times take a lot of weights. You might contact Chris Foley - Tangerine Racing , he makes a set of centering rings for 914 hubs which center the wheels a lot better than the lugs do , some guys have used these with good success , YMMV...Good luck...

Jack / Jaxdream

thank you for the info Jack
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post Oct 20 2010, 06:26 PM
Post #5

Enrique Allen Mar

Member No.: 9,478
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(914 shifter @ Oct 20 2010, 08:10 AM) *

Jack / Jaxdream

If they say DOT anywhere on them, they are not 'real' Rivieras..... ask me how I know.
+Quote Post
kphimself
post Oct 20 2010, 06:39 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 12,146
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I had the same issue with mine and the new tire didn't hold air at all. I had my brother take it to work and take it off and it was full of crude that the shop didn't clean off, old fix a flat and mystery goo. After the wheel was cleaned and the tire reinstalled it was almost perfect. That was an original i do have a repo as a spear and i noticed it has alot of defects from the casting. I intend to use it as a spear.
+Quote Post
kphimself
post Oct 20 2010, 06:48 PM
Post #7

A fake rim.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914 shifter
post Oct 20 2010, 06:50 PM
Post #8

airhead

QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Oct 20 2010, 04:26 PM) *

QUOTE(914 shifter @ Oct 20 2010, 08:10 AM) *

Jack / Jaxdream

If they say DOT anywhere on them, they are not 'real' Rivieras..... ask me how I know.
ok. where should the dot stamp be?i will take some pics tomorrow and post
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Oct 20 2010, 06:53 PM
Post #9

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(kphimself @ Oct 20 2010, 05:39 PM) *

I had the same issue with mine and the new tire didn't hold air at all. I had my brother take it to work and take it off and it was full of crude that the shop didn't clean off, old fix a flat and mystery goo. After the wheel was cleaned and the tire reinstalled it was almost perfect. That was an original i do have a repo as a spear and i noticed it has alot of defects from the casting. I intend to use it as a spear.

Most spears I've seen are long and pointy stick thingies. They don't look anything like a Rivvie wheel .............................

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
kphimself
post Oct 20 2010, 07:07 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 20 2010, 08:53 PM) *

QUOTE(kphimself @ Oct 20 2010, 05:39 PM) *

Most spears I've seen are long and pointy stick thingies. They don't look anything like a Rivvie wheel .............................

The Cap'n

might of had one too many of those Becks trying to get in touch with my car German roots. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Oct 20 2010, 07:49 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 10,019
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Oct 19 2010, 07:57 PM) *

QUOTE(914 shifter @ Oct 19 2010, 07:47 PM) *

Nope - at least not with my original Rivs - the later repops may be different, or you may have a bent/tweaked rim, or the tires may the problem.

FYI - the "real" Rivs look like this with the smooth outer rim (and interlocking lower case "r" logo on the center caps), whereas the repops have the lip to attach clip-on weights (not advised in any case & they look tacky).

Attached ImageAttached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Freakin awesome!!!! Thanks for the pics!!!! I guess I have REAL Rivieras on my 73' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Oct 20 2010, 08:00 PM
Post #12

Custom Member

Member No.: 124

The only way to really balance the rivieras, due to the poor quality of the manufacturer, is the mount them on a machine that has the lug centric adapter.
the centers of the Rivs is not always the true center of the circle.

Rich
+Quote Post
nsr-jamie
post Oct 21 2010, 06:50 AM
Post #13

914 guy in Japan

Member No.: 8,305
Region Association: None

If I were you I would get another set of wheels....maybe some used 4 bolt fuchs or something better quality than what you have now....
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 10:44 AM