Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: riviera rims
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914 shifter
i had my wheels balanced and they had to put a lot of weights on them.are rivieras known for this? lol-2.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(914 shifter @ Oct 19 2010, 07:47 PM) *

i had my wheels balanced and they had to put a lot of weights on them.are rivieras known for this? lol-2.gif

Nope - at least not with my original Rivs - the later repops may be different, or you may have a bent/tweaked rim, or the tires may the problem.

FYI - the "real" Rivs look like this with the smooth outer rim (and interlocking lower case "r" logo on the center caps), whereas the repops have the lip to attach clip-on weights (not advised in any case & they look tacky).

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

popcorn[1].gif
jaxdream
Not speaking from experience , from what I've read on the forum about wheels , the later repops some times take a lot of weights. You might contact Chris Foley - Tangerine Racing , he makes a set of centering rings for 914 hubs which center the wheels a lot better than the lugs do , some guys have used these with good success , YMMV...Good luck...

Jack / Jaxdream
914 shifter
QUOTE(jaxdream @ Oct 20 2010, 05:39 AM) *

Not speaking from experience , from what I've read on the forum about wheels , the later repops some times take a lot of weights. You might contact Chris Foley - Tangerine Racing , he makes a set of centering rings for 914 hubs which center the wheels a lot better than the lugs do , some guys have used these with good success , YMMV...Good luck...

Jack / Jaxdream

thank you for the info Jack
RiqueMar
QUOTE(914 shifter @ Oct 20 2010, 08:10 AM) *

Jack / Jaxdream

If they say DOT anywhere on them, they are not 'real' Rivieras..... ask me how I know.
kphimself
I had the same issue with mine and the new tire didn't hold air at all. I had my brother take it to work and take it off and it was full of crude that the shop didn't clean off, old fix a flat and mystery goo. After the wheel was cleaned and the tire reinstalled it was almost perfect. That was an original i do have a repo as a spear and i noticed it has alot of defects from the casting. I intend to use it as a spear.
kphimself
A fake rim.
914 shifter
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Oct 20 2010, 04:26 PM) *

QUOTE(914 shifter @ Oct 20 2010, 08:10 AM) *

Jack / Jaxdream

If they say DOT anywhere on them, they are not 'real' Rivieras..... ask me how I know.
ok. where should the dot stamp be?i will take some pics tomorrow and post
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(kphimself @ Oct 20 2010, 05:39 PM) *

I had the same issue with mine and the new tire didn't hold air at all. I had my brother take it to work and take it off and it was full of crude that the shop didn't clean off, old fix a flat and mystery goo. After the wheel was cleaned and the tire reinstalled it was almost perfect. That was an original i do have a repo as a spear and i noticed it has alot of defects from the casting. I intend to use it as a spear.

Most spears I've seen are long and pointy stick thingies. They don't look anything like a Rivvie wheel .............................

The Cap'n
kphimself
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 20 2010, 08:53 PM) *

QUOTE(kphimself @ Oct 20 2010, 05:39 PM) *

Most spears I've seen are long and pointy stick thingies. They don't look anything like a Rivvie wheel .............................

The Cap'n

might of had one too many of those Becks trying to get in touch with my car German roots. beer3.gif
gothspeed
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Oct 19 2010, 07:57 PM) *

QUOTE(914 shifter @ Oct 19 2010, 07:47 PM) *

Nope - at least not with my original Rivs - the later repops may be different, or you may have a bent/tweaked rim, or the tires may the problem.

FYI - the "real" Rivs look like this with the smooth outer rim (and interlocking lower case "r" logo on the center caps), whereas the repops have the lip to attach clip-on weights (not advised in any case & they look tacky).

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

popcorn[1].gif

Freakin awesome!!!! Thanks for the pics!!!! I guess I have REAL Rivieras on my 73' smile.gif!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
r_towle
The only way to really balance the rivieras, due to the poor quality of the manufacturer, is the mount them on a machine that has the lug centric adapter.
the centers of the Rivs is not always the true center of the circle.

Rich
nsr-jamie
If I were you I would get another set of wheels....maybe some used 4 bolt fuchs or something better quality than what you have now....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.