Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V « < 7 8 9  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My Rotary to suby swap! The saga begins page 6, Test fitting the suby- Intake flip issues?
Ductech
post Apr 4 2011, 12:42 PM
Post #161

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,949
Region Association: Southwest Region

Hey J rust I guess i'll throw my .02 cents at you. I built a bracket similar to what you bought. that bracket is basically a stock subaru bracket with oem belt tensioner off the ac side of the system. I built mine so the alternator would sit up a couple inches higher thusly allowing the use of the iac. I would suggest keeping the iac unless your going over to a megasquirt or other aftermarket tuning device. Iac works well with the stock FI computer. helps make it so your motor always tries to maintain its idle speed. great for those northwest winter mornings..... If your up to fab some i would say mod that bracket you bought or the one that came on the motor and make it better.... dont let outfront force you to get rid of more oem FI components.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JRust
post Apr 4 2011, 06:44 PM
Post #162

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Yeah I took the alternator off. I am going to get the intake back on then see where it needs to sit. I'd rather keep the AIR in it's stock spot. Looks like some of the hard fuel line is hitting the water shroud on top also. Guess the intake flip isn't such a simple thing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) . Half tempted to just cut the hole in the trunk to rout it & keep it stock. I'll keep trying to get it figured this week. If I'm still having trouble I'll just put it back & cut the hole to route it.
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Apr 4 2011, 07:44 PM
Post #163

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

I left the intake mounted to the rear. this way I could use my AC compessor in the stock location. A car without AC down here is almost unusable in the summer.
Thats what my car is down for now adding, AC and a few other things

Bob (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Ductech
post Apr 4 2011, 07:56 PM
Post #164

Member No.: 11,949
Region Association: Southwest Region

As bigkat states its about what you plan for the future too. I dont like cutting up the car if possible so i switched the intake around. the Fuel lines only need to be bent slightly to clear the water neck. I think its better in the long run to flip it but that is my opinion. I wouldn't take my word as the allmighty answer my conversion just got running the other day and has about 20 miles on it.... im finding problems that come with a chassis that hasn't rolled down the road in ten years more than problems with my motor install.

Good luck and trust me i love the acceleration and smoothness of this motor setup.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Apr 5 2011, 10:29 PM
Post #165

914 Guru

QUOTE(Ductech @ Apr 4 2011, 06:56 PM) *

As bigkat states its about what you plan for the future too. I dont like cutting up the car if possible so i switched the intake around. the Fuel lines only need to be bent slightly to clear the water neck. I think its better in the long run to flip it but that is my opinion. I wouldn't take my word as the allmighty answer my conversion just got running the other day and has about 20 miles on it.... im finding problems that come with a chassis that hasn't rolled down the road in ten years more than problems with my motor install.

Good luck and trust me i love the acceleration and smoothness of this motor setup.

I messed with it some more tonight. Yeah the fuel lines bend a little & no problem there. Still am hitting a post on the bottom of tha manifold. It hits one of the bolts on the water line. Also the oil feeler kneck wants to hang up that side too. I think it will be fine once it is bolted in place. Just the more I mess with it the more problems I seem to run into. I am more tempted to just put it back stock & cut the hole in the trunk I need. Just frustrated some tonight
+Quote Post
montoya 73 2.0
post Apr 6 2011, 12:01 AM
Post #166

Lack of consideration to others, and Selfish!

Member No.: 3,016
Region Association: Central California

Work the bugs out Jamie! I have a line (was told yesterday) on a couple of WRX motors. I don't know what year but STI was also thrown around. I just may change from a 6 conversion to a Subie. When I hear more I will be calling you.
+Quote Post
ch914er
post Apr 13 2011, 10:02 AM
Post #167

Member No.: 9,312
Region Association: Germany

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Apr 5 2011, 03:44 AM) *

I left the intake mounted to the rear. this way I could use my AC compessor in the stock location. A car without AC down here is almost unusable in the summer.

Hi Bob,

are there any pics or documentation on your car????

I want to swap a 3,3 in my 914 too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Greetings Chris
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Apr 13 2011, 11:25 AM
Post #168

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(ch914er @ Apr 13 2011, 12:02 PM) *

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Apr 5 2011, 03:44 AM) *

Hi Bob,

are there any pics or documentation on your car????

I want to swap a 3,3 in my 914 too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Greetings Chris

PM sent...........

Bob (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Apr 13 2011, 01:52 PM
Post #169

914 Guru

Okay I haven't worked on it much. I will be some tommorow night. I will either have the intake on flipped or put back to stock. Either way I have stalled long enough. Funny how seemingly little things can stall things for a month (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Apr 13 2011, 06:13 PM
Post #170

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowtorch.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/whip[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
montoya 73 2.0
post Apr 13 2011, 08:57 PM
Post #171

Cant be any worse than what I was just told. I was trying to do my own valve adjustment for the first time about a week ago. I finally got as close as I could but it still ran crappy, like it was running on 3 cylinders. So I took it to a garage that had worked on it before. He told me today that number 4 is dead! No compression. He put a little oil down the hole and the compression registered but no cigar. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

So, no car for me at WCR! This sucks!!!! So Lola will go back in the garage, put up on jackstands, motor and trans pulled and the mild resto will begin!

Will be looking for 2.0 stuff! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Apr 13 2011, 10:19 PM
Post #172

914 Guru

QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Apr 13 2011, 07:57 PM) *

Cant be any worse than what I was just told. I was trying to do my own valve adjustment for the first time about a week ago. I finally got as close as I could but it still ran crappy, like it was running on 3 cylinders. So I took it to a garage that had worked on it before. He told me today that number 4 is dead! No compression. He put a little oil down the hole and the compression registered but no cigar. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

So, no car for me at WCR! This sucks!!!! So Lola will go back in the garage, put up on jackstands, motor and trans pulled and the mild resto will begin!

Will be looking for 2.0 stuff! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)

Dude you have a motor. I bet it has better compresion that the one in your car. I'm sure it leaks but you can get it in for a temporary fix.
+Quote Post
montoya 73 2.0
post Apr 13 2011, 10:26 PM
Post #173

Two quarts of water poured out of that motor along with the oil. It's sitting on the pallet covered by a tarp and snow, with Trans oil and diesel fuel in it right now. When the snow melts, I will put it on the stand and start dissecting.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Apr 16 2011, 09:16 PM
Post #174

914 Guru

I finally got the intake swapped. It's temporarily bolted in place. Going to have to build a different mount for the alternator so I can keep the AIR. Basically just moving it further to the right. Not a ton of progress there but it was something (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Apr 16 2011, 09:20 PM
Post #175

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354

The status on the V8? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Apr 17 2011, 09:20 AM
Post #176

914 Guru

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Apr 16 2011, 08:20 PM) *

The status on the V8? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

It's coming along nicely! Suspension ear is finally back in. I just need to clean up the battery tray area. Prime it & repaint (just keeping it black like before). I'll be working on it all week. Then the drivetrain goes back in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) .

Back to the suby though. Ian is making me a new alternator mount. The adjust ment piece to it I think we may put in the engine bay. The alternator is flipped over on the drivers side. It will be a pain to manufacture the piece needed for the adjustment coming off the motor. Ian had the idea of once in place it would be east to add one coming off the car. Makes sense & will be simple. So this is on the agenda for next weekend.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Apr 17 2011, 09:30 AM
Post #177

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

Jamie, This thread needs more pictures. Keep up the good work!
+Quote Post
IM101
post Apr 22 2011, 06:42 PM
Post #178

Member No.: 12,367

QUOTE(Ductech @ Apr 4 2011, 11:42 AM) *

If your up to fab some i would say mod that bracket you bought or the one that came on the motor and make it better... dont let outfront force you to get rid of more oem FI components.

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Apr 17 2011, 08:30 AM) *

Jamie, This thread needs more pictures. Keep up the good work!

Done and done! I may be able to spin by and drop it off tonight. Ill let you know Jamie... but in the mean time, an example of how to extend a bracket while maintaining its alignment.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1199.photobucket.com-12367-1303519362.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1199.photobucket.com-12367-1303519362.2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1199.photobucket.com-12367-1303519362.3.jpg)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Apr 22 2011, 07:47 PM
Post #179

914 Guru

Excellent! That will work great
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 7 8 9
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 12:24 AM