Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Rotary to suby swap! The saga begins page 6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
JRust
Okay so this is my latest find. This is a 74 with a 13b Rotary motor that was built by Racing Beat in CA. Looks like they were in Anneheim. Not sure if they are still around. Guy bought it in similar condition to selling it. When he bought it the motor had overheated. He took it to Racing beat & had it completely rebuilt. Said it was pushing 220hp but only got 5mpg. I know rotary's came in rx-7's for the most part. Thats about the extent of my knowledge of the rotary. The guy has had this sitting in his garage since 99 when it overheated on him. He said it won't run but will turn over. I'll get more detailed pics of the fron radiator setup with oil cooler. Take a look at the motor pics. Defintely looks to have been a pretty hot motor. Kind of figuring to go Suby with the TDI conversion as a possibility.

Anyone looking for a project I have like 3 cars I will be getting rid of biggrin.gif .

Anyway take alook at the pics & let me know what you think. Paint code is l64k which is a forest green. Obviously it was repainted some shade of red/orange
brant
how much rust...
I need to get a new project with low/no rust
you need to tell me about these 3 vehicles.

brant
PanelBilly
Did you ever think of finishing one of them before starting another....oh, I think I'm talking to myself again.

PanelBilly
Edited as the two threads we merged
JRust
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Oct 25 2010, 10:52 PM) *

see my comment on the post you want to delete

I did. Sorry Billy I somehow did a DBL post & this one had the pictures. My bad as it kind of locked up & went to the windows cannot connect or whatever the heck it was. So I backed up & redid it. I should have checked first headbang.gif .

I couldn't pass on the car. Very solid car & the paint is in great shape. Motor is bad but I can deal with that.
Mikey914
Sounds kind of interesting. Any idea as to what's wrong? May be woth just throwing a few $ into getting it going if it's not too far gone.

Kind of funny, I don't even look at Craigslist anymore, I woould just keep buying these deals that are too good to pass up.

There is no 12step program for this!
Bleyseng
Racing Beat is still around but a 13B ported to 220hp isn't going to be a street engine.
Gint
Merged your threads since both threads had posts in them.
Rotary'14
I don't see any PICTURES!! biggrin.gif
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

-Robert
JRust
Okay got the pics added again. Just a mixup with my dbl post. All better now smile.gif
RJMII
Jamie needs this shirt. smile.gif poke.gif

IPB Image
JRust
QUOTE(RJMII @ Oct 26 2010, 07:08 AM) *

IPB Image

Hey I resemble that remark dry.gif

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
Mike Bellis
I'm thinking of doing a rotary conversion. Those little wankels are awesome. Looks too nice for me though. Don't think I can afford it.
PanelBilly
I want one of those shirts
markb
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Oct 26 2010, 07:50 AM) *

I want one of those shirts

agree.gif av-943.gif
6freak
Mazda also put rotary`s in some of there trucks
JRust
I'm a little surprised to see dual MSD boxes in it. Any reason one isn't enough?
montoya 73 2.0
You are the man Jamie! I have a friend here in town that put a 13B in a Ford Ranger and races it in the Tough Truck competitions. It is funny when all these Rednecks hear it start up with straight header! They laugh until it goes through the course, It wins everytime! Them V8 guys get pissed.
Rotary'14
QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 26 2010, 12:21 PM) *

I'm a little surprised to see dual MSD boxes in it. Any reason one isn't enough?

Mazda ignition system has 2 coils,, Leading and Trailing. 2 MSD boxes is overkill and just adds to the bling factor.
Thanks for fixing the pics! It fits in the engine bay pretty nicely don't ya think?

-Robert
JRust
QUOTE(Rotary'14 @ Oct 26 2010, 12:29 PM) *

Mazda ignition system has 2 coils,, Leading and Trailing. 2 MSD boxes is overkill and just adds to the bling factor.
Thanks for fixing the pics! It fits in the engine bay pretty nicely don't ya think?
-Robert

It does fit nicely in there for sure. I was suprised how small that motor is.
oldschool
QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 26 2010, 07:16 AM) *

QUOTE(RJMII @ Oct 26 2010, 07:08 AM) *

IPB Image

Hey I resemble that remark dry.gif

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif

no problem i will print a doz up,......place your orders av-943.gif
oldschool
QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 25 2010, 10:33 PM) *

Okay so this is my latest find. This is a 74 with a 13b Rotary motor that was built by Racing Beat in CA. Looks like they were in Anneheim. Not sure if they are still around. Guy bought it in similar condition to selling it. When he bought it the motor had overheated. He took it to Racing beat & had it completely rebuilt. Said it was pushing 220hp but only got 5mpg. I know rotary's came in rx-7's for the most part. Thats about the extent of my knowledge of the rotary. The guy has had this sitting in his garage since 99 when it overheated on him. He said it won't run but will turn over. I'll get more detailed pics of the fron radiator setup with oil cooler. Take a look at the motor pics. Defintely looks to have been a pretty hot motor. Kind of figuring to go Suby with the TDI conversion as a possibility.

Anyone looking for a project I have like 3 cars I will be getting rid of biggrin.gif .

Anyway take alook at the pics & let me know what you think. Paint code is l64k which is a forest green. Obviously it was repainted some shade of red/orange

Can you take some photos of the motor mounts, and rad. first.gif
Rand
When I saw the pic of the radiator setup they used, my first thought was, "that ain't gonna work." Too bad they didn't go with a Renegade-style setup with an adequate radiator.

Damn shame they smoked that Racing Beat motor. It would be a sweet package with the 914. So small and low, great power, easy curve on the 901.

A little deja vu, Jamie... Reminds me of the v8 car when you got it. It would be cool to upgrade the cooling system in this one too, if the motor wasn't a total.
JRust
I need to take pics of the radiator setup. There is actually a shroud but it definately isn't in the league of my renegade radiator in my v8 car. I think it would be okay though. It overheated because the guy put the wrong thermostat iis what he said. He drove it like a year with no problems. Had a guy fluch the system & do a little work. He replaced the thermostat & the next longer drive he took it got hot??? I'll get more pics but it might not be tonight. Busy with kids games tonight till late.
Mike Bellis
Jaimie, show us pics of the radiator setup/ Now I'm curious... WTF.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 26 2010, 02:39 PM) *

I need to take pics of the radiator setup. There is actually a shroud but it definately isn't in the league of my renegade radiator in my v8 car. I think it would be okay though. It overheated because the guy put the wrong thermostat iis what he said. He drove it like a year with no problems. Had a guy fluch the system & do a little work. He replaced the thermostat & the next longer drive he took it got hot??? I'll get more pics but it might not be tonight. Busy with kids games tonight till late.

I had the same engine in my VW bus. I forgot to tighten the cap once. Overheated and blew the engine. Those motors are fragile when it comes to over heating. It problably blew the apex seals. Full rebuild is usually needed after something like this.
jsaum
Atkins Rotary here in Puyallup builds race engines and supplies parts. Dave the owner has a 700HP twin turbo rotary in a Mazda Cosmo and a wall of trophy's to go with it! That motor might be worth looking into fixing! I would be tempted if it wasn't for the fact that I seem to be having enough difficulty trying to get a stock 914 on the road!

Good luck,
Jsaum
Rand

I need to take pics of the radiator setup. There is actually a shroud but it definately isn't in the league of my renegade radiator in my v8 car.

I was recalling the pic you posted on Facebook, where the radiator was leaning backwards toward the rear of the trunk and there was a hole in the front of the trunk floor. It must have been partly disassembled and I didn't realize it?
JRust
QUOTE(Rand @ Oct 26 2010, 03:48 PM) *

I need to take pics of the radiator setup. There is actually a shroud but it definately isn't in the league of my renegade radiator in my v8 car.

I was recalling the pic you posted on Facebook, where the radiator was leaning backwards toward the rear of the trunk and there was a hole in the front of the trunk floor. It must have been partly disassembled and I didn't realize it?

Yeah the shroud goes in & out pretty easily. I will add more pics of it.
speed metal army
A fellah who builds crazy rotary stuff up here used to buy SS fittings from my shop.He pulled up in a "beater" rx7 one day,and said "hey,ever been in one of my cars?"

We went for a burn in this thing,and I just about crapped my drawers.It was INSANE.
For sure one of the fastest cars ive ever been in,and the motor looked to be the size of a sewing machine,and sounded like a bloody jet plane.Keep in mind he had off board plc stuff hanging ouf the dash,extensive turbo mods etc.but still,Yeesh!

Thinking of that particular motor,makes me say fix that thing.I bet its a riot.
srb7f
My DD is a RX-8, so I know enough about the rotary to stay out of trouble.

If the engine has overheated, the apex seals are likely trashed and a full rebuild will be needed. Whatever cooling system is in there sounds like it needs to be optimized before considering putting a new engine in place.

The rotary isn't known for its longevity, but if maintained well it can last a long time. It burns oil by design, so one has to be very meticulous about adding oil at every other fill-up or else major engine failure can occur. Some even advocate premixing oil into the gas, like a 2 stroke motor.

Heat is the other enemy of these things, and they do burn hot, hence their relative inefficiency compared to other cars on the road today.

That said, the power to size ratio of the rotary can't be beat. Being able to scream them at 8500 RPM with the whirrling sound is a feeling that just can't be beat. Certainly enough in my mind to put up with their imperfections. Sure would be awesome in a 914.
computers4kids
OK Jamie...you know what I'm thinking...I'll refrain av-943.gif Instead, "nice find." beer.gif
JRust
Radiator pics! Pulls in the front bottom channels it up to radiator which is angled back down & then back out the bottom? Drove it quite a while with it like this with no problems? Definately not an optimal setup but could work okay
oldschool
What are the 2 black things near the air dam?
JRust
QUOTE(oldschool @ Oct 26 2010, 07:52 PM) *

Do you mean my flat tow bar?
oldschool
QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 26 2010, 09:12 PM) *

QUOTE(oldschool @ Oct 26 2010, 07:52 PM) *

Do you mean my flat tow bar?

no in photo 1 next to the tits blink.gif
JRust
QUOTE(oldschool @ Oct 26 2010, 09:38 PM) *

Ah sorry. That is part of the valance. I think he cut off the middle piece that stretched across the front.
oldschool
QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 26 2010, 09:48 PM) *

QUOTE(oldschool @ Oct 26 2010, 09:38 PM) *

Ah sorry. That is part of the valance. I think he cut off the middle piece that stretched across the front.

Its funny how even in your name you of rust av-943.gif
JRust
Yes my last name is Rust. Ironic I know blink.gif

Here are some pics of my motor mounts & engine bar.
JRust
Pics of the muffler. Not great as the car isn't in the air
Mike Bellis
Is that a heater core bolted to the engine bar?
BIGKAT_83
Somebody did a nice conversion on that. All of the work looks real good. Looks like everything is well thought out.

Bob
oldschool
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Oct 27 2010, 09:39 AM) *

confused24.gif it looks like
oldschool
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Oct 27 2010, 09:48 AM) *

Somebody did a nice conversion on that. All of the work looks real good. Looks like everything is well thought out.

Bob

agree.gif agree.gif
Rotary'14
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Oct 27 2010, 09:39 AM) *

That's the oil cooler,, with beer keg engines (rotaries) they expel 2/3 of the heat thru the radiator, and 1/3 of the heat thru a large aluminum oil cooler.

-Robert
Todd Enlund
Fixed it.

Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
Have you checked the vin to see if its an LE?
Tom_T
Jaime, you've got this 914 disease BAAAAD bud!
... have you considered counseling or intervention!? biggrin.gif

Congratz!
oldschool
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Oct 27 2010, 02:10 PM) *

Jaime, you've got this 914 disease BAAAAD bud!
... have you considered counseling or intervention!? biggrin.gif

Congratz!

Ok Tom are you talking about me JAIME or Jamie lol-2.gif
Root_Werks
Man, someone should snag this, drop a decent used 13B and just be done with it, drive it.

driving.gif

Maybe square up the front radiator setup a little better, but still......it's already all done.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.