Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Rotary to suby swap! The saga begins page 6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(JRust @ Mar 22 2011, 02:39 PM) *

I made some progress last night. Thanks Ian for coming down to help. Going to work out great as he is going to come back later this week & weld my suspension ear for my v8 car aktion035.gif .

So we pulled the motor back out. Unbolted the tranny & got the intake taken off. I'm waiting from the alternator relocation bracket to come before reinstalling the intake. Not sure of it's setup & don't want to pull the intake again. Hopefully I will get it today or tommorow. I also need to add a washer behind the clutch fork ball. I noticed when I installed the tranny there wasn't enough travel in the clutch fork. Damned if I have a socket that will fit in there. I can get it with a wrench either. Anyone have a special trick I can try?

I have a deep well socket for a 1/4 drive that fits in there fine. The 1/4 inch drive stuff is allot thinner that the larger drive sockets.

If you need any thing for the Subaru outfront has all kinds of things they really need to put what they have on the web page.

Bob
computers4kids
Jamie,
Just take a socket and grind the wall down until its thin enough to fit.

I can't believe how many fun projects you have, especially this one.
Good Luck,
Mark
JRust
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Mar 22 2011, 08:16 PM) *

Jamie,
Just take a socket and grind the wall down until its thin enough to fit.

I can't believe how many fun projects you have, especially this one.
Good Luck,
Mark

Just to bad WCR is south of me. Otherwise you could come up early like Issiquah & help me get ready happy11.gif. I will admit that this suby swap is fun. Not all my projects have been that fun
JRust
Ran into a problem flipping the intake. I ordered Outfront's alternator relocation bracket. Put it on & bolted the alternator in place. Then I went to put the intak back on flipped but it won't go. There is a part with hoses coming off the intake that hits the alternator. Even outfront said there would be no issue. So I need to figure out what I need to change.I need a good inch to an inch & a half. Unless that part on the intake isn't used confused24.gif . Any thoughts?
strawman
I'm in the Dulles airport, so I can't walk to my garage to confirm... but I'm pretty sure that is the Idle Air Control valve. It's primary purpose is to bump up the idle when the AC compressor kicks in & to otherwise smooth out the idle. It's location forced me to modify my alt bracket; I want to at least get my Suby engine running in the car with all factory sensors.

Geoff
JRust
So if you aren't running a/c can it come off?
sawtooth
Yeah that's definitely the IAC. It is also for cold starts, or any time the computer wants to adjust the idle. The computer will throw a code without it, I don't think it will cause any other problems.

Stupid question, but are you sure the alternator is in the right position? I haven't seen the outfront bracket in person, but from pic #2 it looks like the alternator is still in the center of the motor. I would have thought it would be flipped over, on the drivers side of the motor, which would give more room for the throttle body?
JRust
Here is a pic with the alternator in place. The intake is just sitting below it on the floor. Without the AIR on there & just a plate blocking it would work there. Otherwise I will need to have the alternator in a different spot dry.gif . I think I will call outfront on monday & ask. They said I would have no problems flippping the intake. Not sure how different the years on intakes were. Maybe they thought I had the ej25DOHC intake. I did tell them I had an ej25 with ej22 heads. Not sure I told them it was an ej22 intake idea.gif
sawtooth
QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 3 2011, 12:39 PM) *

Here is a pic with the alternator in place. The intake is just sitting below it on the floor. Without the AIR on there & just a plate blocking it would work there. Otherwise I will need to have the alternator in a different spot dry.gif . I think I will call outfront on monday & ask. They said I would have no problems flippping the intake. Not sure how different the years on intakes were. Maybe they thought I had the ej25DOHC intake. I did tell them I had an ej25 with ej22 heads. Not sure I told them it was an ej22 intake idea.gif

Ok, that looks right from that angle. I bet outfront will say to just remove the IAC and build a block-off plate for it.
Mike Bellis
Build two block off plates. Mount the IAC remotely and connect to the manifold with two hoses. Problem solved.

I am doing a similar job on my Rotary. I removed the IAC, drilled and tapped the block off plate. I am using a Haltech IAC that is remotely mounted with 2 hoses back to the block off plate.

All the IAC does is regulate the ammount of air bypassing the throttle plate. There by maintaining idle.
Ductech
Hey J rust I guess i'll throw my .02 cents at you. I built a bracket similar to what you bought. that bracket is basically a stock subaru bracket with oem belt tensioner off the ac side of the system. I built mine so the alternator would sit up a couple inches higher thusly allowing the use of the iac. I would suggest keeping the iac unless your going over to a megasquirt or other aftermarket tuning device. Iac works well with the stock FI computer. helps make it so your motor always tries to maintain its idle speed. great for those northwest winter mornings..... If your up to fab some i would say mod that bracket you bought or the one that came on the motor and make it better.... dont let outfront force you to get rid of more oem FI components.
JRust
Yeah I took the alternator off. I am going to get the intake back on then see where it needs to sit. I'd rather keep the AIR in it's stock spot. Looks like some of the hard fuel line is hitting the water shroud on top also. Guess the intake flip isn't such a simple thing dry.gif . Half tempted to just cut the hole in the trunk to rout it & keep it stock. I'll keep trying to get it figured this week. If I'm still having trouble I'll just put it back & cut the hole to route it.
BIGKAT_83
I left the intake mounted to the rear. this way I could use my AC compessor in the stock location. A car without AC down here is almost unusable in the summer.
Thats what my car is down for now adding, AC and a few other things

Bob smilie_pokal.gif
Ductech
As bigkat states its about what you plan for the future too. I dont like cutting up the car if possible so i switched the intake around. the Fuel lines only need to be bent slightly to clear the water neck. I think its better in the long run to flip it but that is my opinion. I wouldn't take my word as the allmighty answer my conversion just got running the other day and has about 20 miles on it.... im finding problems that come with a chassis that hasn't rolled down the road in ten years more than problems with my motor install.

Good luck and trust me i love the acceleration and smoothness of this motor setup.
JRust
QUOTE(Ductech @ Apr 4 2011, 06:56 PM) *

As bigkat states its about what you plan for the future too. I dont like cutting up the car if possible so i switched the intake around. the Fuel lines only need to be bent slightly to clear the water neck. I think its better in the long run to flip it but that is my opinion. I wouldn't take my word as the allmighty answer my conversion just got running the other day and has about 20 miles on it.... im finding problems that come with a chassis that hasn't rolled down the road in ten years more than problems with my motor install.

Good luck and trust me i love the acceleration and smoothness of this motor setup.

I messed with it some more tonight. Yeah the fuel lines bend a little & no problem there. Still am hitting a post on the bottom of tha manifold. It hits one of the bolts on the water line. Also the oil feeler kneck wants to hang up that side too. I think it will be fine once it is bolted in place. Just the more I mess with it the more problems I seem to run into. I am more tempted to just put it back stock & cut the hole in the trunk I need. Just frustrated some tonight
montoya 73 2.0
Work the bugs out Jamie! I have a line (was told yesterday) on a couple of WRX motors. I don't know what year but STI was also thrown around. I just may change from a 6 conversion to a Subie. When I hear more I will be calling you.
ch914er
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Apr 5 2011, 03:44 AM) *

I left the intake mounted to the rear. this way I could use my AC compessor in the stock location. A car without AC down here is almost unusable in the summer.

Bob smilie_pokal.gif

Hi Bob,

are there any pics or documentation on your car????

I want to swap a 3,3 in my 914 too driving.gif

Greetings Chris
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(ch914er @ Apr 13 2011, 12:02 PM) *

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Apr 5 2011, 03:44 AM) *

Bob smilie_pokal.gif

Hi Bob,

are there any pics or documentation on your car????

I want to swap a 3,3 in my 914 too driving.gif

Greetings Chris

PM sent...........

Bob driving.gif
JRust
Okay I haven't worked on it much. I will be some tommorow night. I will either have the intake on flipped or put back to stock. Either way I have stalled long enough. Funny how seemingly little things can stall things for a month dry.gif
Mike Bellis
stirthepot.gif smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif blowtorch.gif whip[1].gif poke.gif driving.gif
montoya 73 2.0
Cant be any worse than what I was just told. I was trying to do my own valve adjustment for the first time about a week ago. I finally got as close as I could but it still ran crappy, like it was running on 3 cylinders. So I took it to a garage that had worked on it before. He told me today that number 4 is dead! No compression. He put a little oil down the hole and the compression registered but no cigar. headbang.gif

So, no car for me at WCR! This sucks!!!! So Lola will go back in the garage, put up on jackstands, motor and trans pulled and the mild resto will begin!

Will be looking for 2.0 stuff! chowtime.gif
JRust
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Apr 13 2011, 07:57 PM) *

Cant be any worse than what I was just told. I was trying to do my own valve adjustment for the first time about a week ago. I finally got as close as I could but it still ran crappy, like it was running on 3 cylinders. So I took it to a garage that had worked on it before. He told me today that number 4 is dead! No compression. He put a little oil down the hole and the compression registered but no cigar. headbang.gif

So, no car for me at WCR! This sucks!!!! So Lola will go back in the garage, put up on jackstands, motor and trans pulled and the mild resto will begin!

Will be looking for 2.0 stuff! chowtime.gif

Dude you have a motor. I bet it has better compresion that the one in your car. I'm sure it leaks but you can get it in for a temporary fix.
montoya 73 2.0
Two quarts of water poured out of that motor along with the oil. It's sitting on the pallet covered by a tarp and snow, with Trans oil and diesel fuel in it right now. When the snow melts, I will put it on the stand and start dissecting.
JRust
I finally got the intake swapped. It's temporarily bolted in place. Going to have to build a different mount for the alternator so I can keep the AIR. Basically just moving it further to the right. Not a ton of progress there but it was something smile.gif
hot_shoe914
The status on the V8? confused24.gif
JRust
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Apr 16 2011, 08:20 PM) *

The status on the V8? confused24.gif

It's coming along nicely! Suspension ear is finally back in. I just need to clean up the battery tray area. Prime it & repaint (just keeping it black like before). I'll be working on it all week. Then the drivetrain goes back in piratenanner.gif .

Back to the suby though. Ian is making me a new alternator mount. The adjust ment piece to it I think we may put in the engine bay. The alternator is flipped over on the drivers side. It will be a pain to manufacture the piece needed for the adjustment coming off the motor. Ian had the idea of once in place it would be east to add one coming off the car. Makes sense & will be simple. So this is on the agenda for next weekend.
Mike Bellis
Jamie, This thread needs more pictures. Keep up the good work!
IM101
QUOTE(Ductech @ Apr 4 2011, 11:42 AM) *

If your up to fab some i would say mod that bracket you bought or the one that came on the motor and make it better... dont let outfront force you to get rid of more oem FI components.

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Apr 17 2011, 08:30 AM) *

Jamie, This thread needs more pictures. Keep up the good work!

Done and done! I may be able to spin by and drop it off tonight. Ill let you know Jamie... but in the mean time, an example of how to extend a bracket while maintaining its alignment.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
JRust
Excellent! That will work great
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.