Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Phoenix Gold Build, the "NEW" stereo install
jsayre914
post Oct 28 2010, 05:46 PM
Post #1

Speed Up !!!

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,696
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The schematic. I will fit all of this in my 1973 Porsche (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
It will not make it go any faster (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
silver74insocal
post Oct 28 2010, 07:27 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 11,073
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Oct 28 2010, 07:56 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,631
Region Association: North East States

How many amps is that?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Black22
post Oct 28 2010, 08:13 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 8,290
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Just my 2 cents, but I used to be heavy into car audio and was a Sound mixer in Hollywood for 15 years. I was always told that for every 1 subwoofer you put in a car you should have two of every other smaller speaker to have a balanced sound stage. Meaning if you want a 12" sub and 6" mids plus 1" tweeters you should install the 12" with 2 ea of the 6" and 2ea of the 1". That system would sound good if you deleted one of subs and used the 3rd amp for more mid and high range. IMO. It'll sound good the way the schematic shows, it's just overkill on the bass side unless your a mini truck from 1990.
Also I didn't notice any specs on the amps. You don't need a huge amount of power to be loud and clean. I once had a system in my Mustang that used 3 amps that had combined total 135 watts that produced a measured 140dB at a contest. It's not how much you use but how and what you use.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Oct 28 2010, 09:40 PM
Post #5

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Are you building a car or a stereo? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) Never understood need or interest for that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
silver74insocal
post Oct 28 2010, 09:47 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 11,073
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 28 2010, 08:40 PM) *

Are you building a car or a stereo? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) Never understood need or interest for that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

i feel bad for you
+Quote Post
biosurfer1
post Oct 28 2010, 09:59 PM
Post #7

Teener fo Life!

Member No.: 977
Region Association: Northern California

I used to be into car audio big back in the mid 90's, but mostly for SQ...I'm still amazed at how much being into car audio helped me in circuits class while doing my engineering degree.
+Quote Post
MoveQik
post Oct 28 2010, 10:22 PM
Post #8

What size wheels can I fit?

Member No.: 3,881
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Oct 28 2010, 08:47 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 28 2010, 08:40 PM) *

i feel bad for you

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
Of course I had a lowered minitruck. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
jsayre914
post Oct 28 2010, 10:31 PM
Post #9

Speed Up !!!

Here is the list of what i got:

> CDA 9887 Headunit w/ 4volt preamp output X 3 (im gonna use 2)

> Phoenix PLD1 Line Driver will feed the 2 bass amps

> Phoenix EQ215i Equalizer w/ 15 adjustable frequency controlls for each channel to feed the mid/high amp

> Phoenix XS2500 Amplifier X 2
I will be running one of these for each 12" woofer
Bridged into 1 Channel @ 2 Ohms rated at 300 watts X 1 Continuous output (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
I also have the LPL44 remote bass knob to control both amps
you need adjustment with the top on vs off

> Phoenix XS 4600 Amplifier
This will be for the component set
Bridged into 2 Channels @ 4 Ohms rated at 150 watts X 2

> Phoenix DD5 Desmazes Delayeator
This little Baby turns on and off each amplifier and processor
it has adjustable delayed fused circuits for the remote and power wires to
eliminate any noises when components are turned on or off. (very cool)

> Phoenix RSDC122 12inch Woofers X 2
Each woofer has dual 2ohm voice coils
Rated at 600w Rms / 1200w Peak

> Phoenix RSD 6.5ds Component Speakers
6.5 inch component w/ tweets
Rated at 120w Peak

The Plan:

Headunit goes into the stock position. PLD1 goes in passenger footwell, hidden under carpet. DD5 goes into center console (havent figured that out yet). EQ goes between seats, hidden under center cushion. LPL44 Remote knob mounts to new center console consisting of (Knob/ Temp/ Volt/ GPS) 3 Amplifiers in rear trunk desigend by Me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) 6.5 drivers go into fiberglass kicks i will build. Tweets go on the pillars w/ more glass. Woofers go in front trunk w/ another wood/glass enclosure.

All of it completely hidden from view.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)
+Quote Post
Black22
post Oct 28 2010, 10:52 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 8,290
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I'm not sure how the woofers in the trunk will sound. Bass frequencies/sound is about moving air...are you going to port it into the cabin or just move the air around the spare tire. Subs in the rear trunk of a sedan work because the sound transfers through the rear seat padding, although with major attenuation. Your plan sounds pretty solid other than that. Good luck, I'd like to see sics when your done with the install.
+Quote Post
jsayre914
post Oct 28 2010, 11:03 PM
Post #11

Speed Up !!!

Step 1 was the power upgrade. 2 Kinetik Batteries and a 120amp alternator. I also beefed up the wiring from the alternator thanks to Jeff Bowlsby (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) And I am running a large ground wire direct from the battery to the alternator. The batteries are wired togeather and the components all get a direct line pos/ neg.

The thread is HERE

Step 2 was the sound deadening project. Second skin products including damplifier, overkill, and luxury liner. Very nice products. I also replaced all the rubber for the targa, doors, windows, (thanks Mikey914) and resealed the rear glass. Still a work in progress

That thread is very recent, but HERE is the link anyway

Step 3 was the Headunit install, Easy Peasy.

Step 4 was the collecting all the equipment and painting it to match the car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) I hired a hippe to paint everything. He does the best work.

Here is everything taken apart
Attached Image
The mismached pieces
Attached Image
And the Paint (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) Alaska Blue Metallic
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jsayre914
post Oct 28 2010, 11:07 PM
Post #12

Speed Up !!!

QUOTE(Black22 @ Oct 29 2010, 12:52 AM) *

I'm not sure how the woofers in the trunk will sound. Bass frequencies/sound is about moving air...are you going to port it into the cabin or just move the air around the spare tire.

The Front trunk is ported into the cabin with 2 large round holes that used to be for the heater duct. They fire downward tward your feet on both sides under the dash. I am postive this soundstage works because i have been pushing 1 12 inch sub in the trunk for couple of years now.

I do really appreciate the comments, please keep em commin (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
jsayre914
post Oct 28 2010, 11:10 PM
Post #13

Speed Up !!!

I think the amps came out Awesome, considering I have owned some of em since 1997. Not bad at all. Thanks to our very own ScottyB (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jsayre914
post Oct 28 2010, 11:16 PM
Post #14

Speed Up !!!

Next I started with the PLD1 footwell project. It has LED lighting and needs a piece of Lexan, but i like the way it looks. (stealthy) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
jsayre914
post Oct 28 2010, 11:22 PM
Post #15

Speed Up !!!

A little vynal and a quick test fit
Attached Image

Attached Image
Camel carpet thanks to 914 apperance and performance (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jsayre914
post Oct 28 2010, 11:27 PM
Post #16

Speed Up !!!

I even got new RCA from Stinger Audio (it had to match) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hide.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jsayre914
post Oct 28 2010, 11:31 PM
Post #17

Speed Up !!!

Here is a closeup of the DD5, it has led lights that will tell you right away if there is a problem with any circuit. My idea is to hide this baby somehow in the center console, but still be able to see the display. I also want room for the GPS in the console. Its gonna be pretty tight in there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Oct 28 2010, 11:38 PM
Post #18

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Oct 28 2010, 10:10 PM) *

I think the amps came out Awesome, considering I have owned some of em since 1997. Not bad at all. Thanks to our very own ScottyB (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I thought you were kidding with all that equipment. If you bought those Amps in the 90's they are good ones. All the good Amps were built in the 90's. New stuff is junk unles you pay $1500 for a McIntosh. Back then they cared about quality and power supplies. Now it's all about price point and chinese parts.

I prefer single amp systems now. I run a Rockford Power 300 in my 914 and a Kenwood PS-500F in my truck.

Please keep posting pics of your system. I'm very curius about your woofer box set up. Front trunk? Remember for best sound your port needs to be tuned 1 octive above or below the resonance frequency of the sealed box. Rockford Fosgate has a great nomogram for plotting port length and diameter. PM me if you want a copy.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Oct 28 2010, 11:54 PM
Post #19

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

Nice project Joseph! Your install looks very professional. The paint to match stuff is a very cool touch.

Since the early 90's I always wanted to try and make a very un-obtrusive system that had a baffled, tuned sub enclosure with a dual voice coil woofer in place of the foam footwell insert, tuned enclosures for the stock locations (it does give good stereo imaging), and then surface mount tweeters on the dash to reflect off the windshield. The 914 cabin is so small, I'd be curious to know if/where you'd find standing wave.

IMHO balancing all the speakers and getting the cross overs just right is important. Getting efficient, good sounding speakers makes a world of difference. The funny thing is that many times a great sounding speaker can be somewhat inefficient, like Bose for example.

The Morphenspectra stuff looks very nice too.
+Quote Post
Rod
post Oct 29 2010, 01:59 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 8,526
Region Association: England

Superb! Another 914 sq install (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Nice system list, I can see two problems which you should address. You say that the bass will be coming through to the cabin via the two heater pipe holes... These are just above the kicks correct? I have looked at using these many times but came against a couple of hurdles.. When the front trunk is closed, the front section where your sub is (and everyone elses spare tyre) is sealed from the scuttle area where these holes through to the cabin are. So how does the bass get through?

Secondly as you are running the 6.5s in the kicks, you do not want the air from the sub interfering with the rear of the mid cone. I was going to do some builds with some heater hose as a sort of port, running from the hole in the scuttle down past the back of the mid to vent into the cabin next to it. But only if you can get the bass past the firewall ...

My sub is in the footwell, it's only an eight, yet with 600 McIntosh watts it sounds like a 10 or possibly 12!! My ideal bass solution in the 914 wouldn't to move the fuel tank and install a racing cell where the spare wheel sits. Then use the fuel tank space as the volume for the sub, with the sub mounted on the scuttle firing directly into the cabin.. I will do this next, and have an Image dynamics idw15 15 inch sub to do it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Subscribed!!!!
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 08:04 PM