Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 Alignment, I need a referral
76-914
post Oct 29 2010, 09:36 PM
Post #1

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

I need to find a place to do the 4 wheel alignment. I want someone that speaks Porsche not a general auto shop or chain banger. I'm in Temecula but will drive a bit if they're open on Sat's. Thx
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Steve
post Oct 30 2010, 06:58 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

Hergesheimers did mine. They know porsches and 914 and did a great job.
There located in Lake Forest. I don't think there open Saturdays.
+Quote Post
craig downs
post Oct 30 2010, 08:16 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,189

Manny in Riverside I forget the store he works at. He's been highly recommended by a few people here along with myself. He did my car last year and is very knowledgeable about our cars on how to align them. I'll find the info and post it unless someone else list it.
+Quote Post
Cevan
post Oct 30 2010, 08:36 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 7,351

Only 2911 miles to Chris Foley's shop. Mapquest says it's 44 hours. No problem.

Hey, my 914th post. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
stewteral
post Oct 30 2010, 09:03 PM
Post #5

Old Member

Member No.: 8,424

QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 29 2010, 08:36 PM) *

I need to find a place to do the 4 wheel alignment. I want someone that speaks Porsche not a general auto shop or chain banger. I'm in Temecula but will drive a bit if they're open on Sat's. Thx

Hey Cevan,

Before you go for a 4-wheel alignment, I suggest you KNOW the settings you want.
Stock settings for rear toe-in SUCK since the rear suspension Toes-in by itself as the wheel is loaded in a corner. I bump-steer measured mine and was astounded to find that the loaded wheel toes-in by .200" in 2 inches of upward travel. At the same time the unloaded (inside wheel) toes-out at the same rate (that is it turns toward the inside of the corner as is the loaded wheel.

What this all means is that the rear of the car will stay STUCK and force the car into big understeer. Since the cars were made in the Ralph Nader era, you can understand why Porsche did not want to get caught in law suits because a 914 COULD oversteer.

To do some research, I recommend chasing the issue in the Paddock Forum where I have posted a lot of info, along with others. For a daily driver, I would recommend 1/16" toe-in at the front and 0 to 1/8" TOE OUT in the rear, static settings. Depending on how hard you drive your car, you can go from stock camber settings to -1/2 degree MORE NEGATIVE in the front and -1/2 to -1 degree
MORE NEGATIVE in the rear. The rear camber is a trade-off between improved balance and tires wearing too much on the inside. Thus, you can pick a setting and then watch your tire wear to see what is the best Compromise setting for your usage. Of course, if you can get your hands on a tire pyrometer, you could do some fast running on a twisty road and learn istantly by comparing inside, center and outside temps.

Another thing to know: given the limitations of the Porsche design for the rear suspension, you do NOT want to lower the car much. I tried and and it only messed up the whole camber curve....bad handling resulted. I'm running my track-prepped 914 v8 at 5" - 5-1/2" at the rear belly-pan bumps and 5" in the front.

I hope this is useful info,
Terry
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Oct 31 2010, 10:46 AM
Post #6

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

Mike Mulligan is in escondido. he is a 914 nut.
http://www.mulliganracing.com/
tell him I sent you, he'll charge you double (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
'73-914kid
post Oct 31 2010, 01:03 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 9,714

Hey mulligan isn't in escondidio, he's in Vista.. a 5 minute drive from my house..haha

If you head to MRD Kent, stop by my house for some food..haha
+Quote Post
76-914
post Nov 1 2010, 08:31 AM
Post #8

Thanks everyone. Those are some damn good answers; as usual. Sorry I so late in this reply but I worked this weekend. I'll digest this later and be back w/ more questions, I'm sure.
+Quote Post
'73-914kid
post Nov 1 2010, 03:51 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 9,714

If it makes any difference, I can attest to Mike's work.. and he's a really nice guy
+Quote Post
76-914
post Nov 1 2010, 04:13 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(Cevan @ Oct 30 2010, 07:36 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) Hey Chris, good to hear from you again. We both started out about the same time here with similiar idle problems. The only difference was you had Ljet and I had Djet. Your car looks good, man.
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Nov 1 2010, 04:44 PM
Post #11

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

Bud's Tire and Wheel ... Riverside, CA ..... On Indiana Ave .... ask for Manny only.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 09:53 PM