Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Alignment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
I need to find a place to do the 4 wheel alignment. I want someone that speaks Porsche not a general auto shop or chain banger. I'm in Temecula but will drive a bit if they're open on Sat's. Thx
Steve
Hergesheimers did mine. They know porsches and 914 and did a great job.
There located in Lake Forest. I don't think there open Saturdays.
craig downs
Manny in Riverside I forget the store he works at. He's been highly recommended by a few people here along with myself. He did my car last year and is very knowledgeable about our cars on how to align them. I'll find the info and post it unless someone else list it.
Cevan
Only 2911 miles to Chris Foley's shop. Mapquest says it's 44 hours. No problem.

Hey, my 914th post. beerchug.gif smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif smilie_pokal.gif piratenanner.gif smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif
stewteral
QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 29 2010, 08:36 PM) *

I need to find a place to do the 4 wheel alignment. I want someone that speaks Porsche not a general auto shop or chain banger. I'm in Temecula but will drive a bit if they're open on Sat's. Thx

Hey Cevan,

Before you go for a 4-wheel alignment, I suggest you KNOW the settings you want.
Stock settings for rear toe-in SUCK since the rear suspension Toes-in by itself as the wheel is loaded in a corner. I bump-steer measured mine and was astounded to find that the loaded wheel toes-in by .200" in 2 inches of upward travel. At the same time the unloaded (inside wheel) toes-out at the same rate (that is it turns toward the inside of the corner as is the loaded wheel.

What this all means is that the rear of the car will stay STUCK and force the car into big understeer. Since the cars were made in the Ralph Nader era, you can understand why Porsche did not want to get caught in law suits because a 914 COULD oversteer.

To do some research, I recommend chasing the issue in the Paddock Forum where I have posted a lot of info, along with others. For a daily driver, I would recommend 1/16" toe-in at the front and 0 to 1/8" TOE OUT in the rear, static settings. Depending on how hard you drive your car, you can go from stock camber settings to -1/2 degree MORE NEGATIVE in the front and -1/2 to -1 degree
MORE NEGATIVE in the rear. The rear camber is a trade-off between improved balance and tires wearing too much on the inside. Thus, you can pick a setting and then watch your tire wear to see what is the best Compromise setting for your usage. Of course, if you can get your hands on a tire pyrometer, you could do some fast running on a twisty road and learn istantly by comparing inside, center and outside temps.

Another thing to know: given the limitations of the Porsche design for the rear suspension, you do NOT want to lower the car much. I tried and and it only messed up the whole camber curve....bad handling resulted. I'm running my track-prepped 914 v8 at 5" - 5-1/2" at the rear belly-pan bumps and 5" in the front.

I hope this is useful info,
Terry
sean_v8_914
Mike Mulligan is in escondido. he is a 914 nut.
http://www.mulliganracing.com/
tell him I sent you, he'll charge you double wink.gif
'73-914kid
Hey mulligan isn't in escondidio, he's in Vista.. a 5 minute drive from my house..haha

If you head to MRD Kent, stop by my house for some food..haha
76-914
Thanks everyone. Those are some damn good answers; as usual. Sorry I so late in this reply but I worked this weekend. I'll digest this later and be back w/ more questions, I'm sure.
'73-914kid
If it makes any difference, I can attest to Mike's work.. and he's a really nice guy
76-914
QUOTE(Cevan @ Oct 30 2010, 07:36 PM) *

Only 2911 miles to Chris Foley's shop. Mapquest says it's 44 hours. No problem.

Hey, my 914th post. beerchug.gif smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif smilie_pokal.gif piratenanner.gif smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif

bye1.gif Hey Chris, good to hear from you again. We both started out about the same time here with similiar idle problems. The only difference was you had Ljet and I had Djet. Your car looks good, man.
SLITS
Bud's Tire and Wheel ... Riverside, CA ..... On Indiana Ave .... ask for Manny only.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.