Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Windshield Pits - What a Pit, Sandblasted by a Truck!
bandjoey
post Nov 1 2010, 03:05 PM
Post #1

bandjoey

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

I got just a little too close to a dirt hauler and now have pits in the windshield. It looked like just the normal dust /dirt blowing out but there were rocks lurking. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Tried to get a pic, but all the glare on the windshield keep the pits from being visible.

About a dozen spots 1MM across and .25 MM deep. They're just deep enough to feel when you run your finger across them.

To keep the window from cracking someday, has anyone tried superglue or something clear like that to fill in the holes? Or am I just holed? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Nov 1 2010, 03:08 PM
Post #2

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Your FLAPS will have a windshield repair kit (Permatex?) that has all the materials. I used it on my 993 with success, but had it fail on a Honda and Acura... I think it really depends on the crack, the windshield and how well you apply it.

For the money, you might try taking it to a windshield repair person and get their .02 as well...

+Quote Post
pcar916
post Nov 1 2010, 03:16 PM
Post #3

Is that a Lola?

Member No.: 4,188
Region Association: None

Hi bandjoey! Ah yes, those of us with low cars have that to look forward to all the time. The last time I talked to my glass guy I wound up replacing it with a PPG piece. They only fix rock chips in my experience but talking from one DIY guy to another, I'd give it a try. That's a lot of polishing but maybe it's worth a shot. I'm not tooled-up for it.

Some of these glass gurus here may have a magic solution though! I'm a metal/electrical/stone kind-o-dude. The latter of which is of dubious value here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Nov 1 2010, 06:55 PM
Post #4

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

Hay Ron. Thanks. I'm the same way, a fix it with a hammer guy. Missed you at MUSR. Being closer next year, put it on the calendar! Bill
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 05:11 AM