Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> engine trouble?, where to go to diagnose.
DRPHIL914
post Nov 2 2010, 09:03 AM
Post #1

Dr. Phil

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

J (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Bad news! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
saturday something gave out or blew out. Don't know what. At first it sounded like a exhaust leak louder on acceleration, letting of at first seemed ok then got louder. Im no engine mechanic but it I a valve and/or piston problem. Very specifically from the right side. I think rear cylinder.
I am in beaufort sc so need to find someone close.
I put new s.s.h.e. with triad exhaust on 1500 miles ago no problems it is not an exhaust leak. More of a clank (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

So it is a 75 2.0 with 130,000 d jet had been running great. Last 3tanks got 32-35 mpg! No leaks and oil use. I've had 1 year. If I have to take this apart I think I want something like. The 2056? Upgrade cam thing like jake rang does. So jake how much? For simple upgrade cam with valve.piston. head don't know yet but I thought it was running great. I do not drive it hard. Just became a d.d. to/ from work.
I do not have the ability to lift high enough to drop the engine myself.
any advice on where to take it? 5 horst from atlanta, 4 from charlolette n.c.

Help!
Phil
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Nov 2 2010, 09:07 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

I will be in Hilton Head this weekend for the concours. Maybe I can drop by and listen to the engine, Phil.

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Nov 2 2010, 08:03 AM) *

J (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Bad news! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
saturday something gave out or blew out. Don't know what. At first it sounded like a exhaust leak louder on acceleration, letting of at first seemed ok then got louder. Im no engine mechanic but it I a valve and/or piston problem. Very specifically from the right side. I think rear cylinder.
I put new s.s.h.e. with triad exhaust on 1500 miles ago no problems it is not an exhaust leak. More of a clank (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

So it is a 75 2.0 with 130,000 d jet had been running great. Last 3tanks got 32-35 mpg! No leaks and oil use. I've had 1 year. If I have to take this apart I think I want something like. The 2056? Upgrade cam thing like jake rang does. So jake how much? For simple upgrade cam with valve.piston. head don't know yet but I thought it was running great. I do not drive it hard. Just became a d.d. to/ from work.

Help!
Phil

+Quote Post
post Nov 2 2010, 09:13 AM
Post #3

Hummmm!!!

Member No.: 9,028

Did you 'blow' a plug out??

My #2 cylinder decided to eject it's plug yesterday. Sounded like I had a whole in the side of my engine from the top side. I did and it was the size of a spark plug!!

Good Luck
Ken
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Nov 2 2010, 09:18 AM
Post #4

Dr. Phil

[quote name='dr914@autoatlanta.com' date='Nov 2 2010, 11:07 AM' post='1389822']
I will be in Hilton Head this weekend for the concours. Maybe I can drop by and listen to the engine, Phil.

[quote name='Philip W.' post='1389821' date='Nov 2 2010, 08:03 AM']

George,

Wow that would be great, but I actually have to be in florida saturday and sunday ( I ocasionally teach college and post. Grad sports chiropractic classes) so depends on when u are coming and leaving. Im in beaufort but would put it on a car hauled and bring it over just to have the chance to meet you, and get your opinion on this.

Phil
[/quote]

+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Nov 2 2010, 09:18 AM
Post #5

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Right side? I suspect valve/seat/piston issues with #3 cylinder.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Nov 2 2010, 09:20 AM
Post #6

Dr. Phil

B
QUOTE(7275914911 @ Nov 2 2010, 11:13 AM) *

Did you 'blow' a plug out??

My #2 cylinder decided to eject it's plug yesterday. Sounded like I had a whole in the side of my engine from the top side. I did and it was the size of a spark plug!!

Good Luck
Ken

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

Ken, I will.look closer may be? It was not too loud at first got louder then lost some power, ill check tonight.
+Quote Post
realred914
post Nov 2 2010, 09:34 AM
Post #7

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,541
Region Association: None

A standard floor jack and some medium sized stands should get the car high enough in the air to be able to remove the motor, been doing it that way for a long long time.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 10:31 PM