Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Transmission Conversion - Tail to Side, What else should I do since I am there ?
913B
post Nov 5 2010, 10:51 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,983
Region Association: None

So I got a bad case of Dirk Wright syndrome. I have my engine out on the floor doing a tail to side shift transmission conversion. I am removing the cooling fan housing to access the engine mounts to switch them out so I can use the side shift engine mount bar. So I have to remove the alternator in the process. I read the tech article about removing the alternator and what PITA when the engine is still in the car. Should I just replace the alternator with a new/rebuilt one ? Since I have it out. Sources for replacement alternator ? FLAPS ? Another question I have is removing my old heat exchangers. Is it possible to tilt the engine on the side to acess the heat exchanger bolts to the heads or am I asking for trouble ? I am afraid of stripping or pulling a head bolt. Any suggestions from members that BTDT ??

Thank you

Ted
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Nov 6 2010, 06:37 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

For the alternator stay away from FLAPS. Get a rebuilt Bosch and be done with it. Lots of horror stories about having to keep replacing FLAPS until you get one that works right.

+Quote Post
scotty b
post Nov 6 2010, 06:45 AM
Post #3

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 6 2010, 04:37 AM) *

For the alternator stay away from FLAPS. Get a rebuilt Bosch and be done with it. Lots of horror stories about having to keep replacing FLAPS until you get one that works right.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) If money isn't too tight go ahead and replace it while the engine is out. While the engine is out you might also want to consider a valve adjustment, and resealing.....well if you're going to reseal it and it is already out you might as well crack the block and replace the bearings......while the block is open you might want to consider a better cam.........since you're going to replace the cam you might as well slap in a set of 96's and pop a few extra bucks for TWM throttle bodies......that could be greatly enhanced with a better ignition system.

Now that your engine and trans are done.....oh wait, you should probably send the tranny out to Dr Evil for a rebuild and regearing for that new engine. ANYHOO since you now have that nice new engine ( don't forget to strip and powder coat the tin ) You really should upgrade the suspension to handle that new found power

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Nov 6 2010, 09:56 AM
Post #4

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

The studs will either stay in place or strip out. Not a damn thing you can do to influence it one way or the other. If a stud does strip out in the head then it's Helicoil or Time-Cert time. It's not hard to do in the car if you step drill your hole at least 3 step sizes. Otherwise, pull the head and bench drill it.
+Quote Post
913B
post Nov 6 2010, 10:08 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 6 2010, 05:37 AM) *

Any reccomended sources ? Online, NAPA, Bap Geon ?
How much do they typically run ?
+Quote Post
913B
post Nov 6 2010, 10:15 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(scotty b @ Nov 6 2010, 05:45 AM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 6 2010, 04:37 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) If money isn't too tight go ahead and replace it while the engine is out. While the engine is out you might also want to consider a valve adjustment, and resealing.....well if you're going to reseal it and it is already out you might as well crack the block and replace the bearings......while the block is open you might want to consider a better cam.........since you're going to replace the cam you might as well slap in a set of 96's and pop a few extra bucks for TWM throttle bodies......that could be greatly enhanced with a better ignition system.

Now that your engine and trans are done.....oh wait, you should probably send the tranny out to Dr Evil for a rebuild and regearing for that new engine. ANYHOO since you now have that nice new engine ( don't forget to strip and powder coat the tin ) You really should upgrade the suspension to handle that new found power

Oh believe me, the valve covers are off and in the process of a valve job. It all started 1 year ago from Dr Evils trans clinic, Oh boy, what I got my self into. ALso on my to do list is to replace the fuel lines, flush the tank and and currently cleaning out the fresh iar blower box. The list continues . Yeah I am (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Nov 6 2010, 11:44 AM
Post #7

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

...Replace, if it has not been done.....all the bushing's in the shifting (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
(that's the cream on top!) later bro (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 04:24 AM