Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission Conversion - Tail to Side
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
913B
So I got a bad case of Dirk Wright syndrome. I have my engine out on the floor doing a tail to side shift transmission conversion. I am removing the cooling fan housing to access the engine mounts to switch them out so I can use the side shift engine mount bar. So I have to remove the alternator in the process. I read the tech article about removing the alternator and what PITA when the engine is still in the car. Should I just replace the alternator with a new/rebuilt one ? Since I have it out. Sources for replacement alternator ? FLAPS ? Another question I have is removing my old heat exchangers. Is it possible to tilt the engine on the side to acess the heat exchanger bolts to the heads or am I asking for trouble ? I am afraid of stripping or pulling a head bolt. Any suggestions from members that BTDT ??

Thank you

Ted
914Sixer
For the alternator stay away from FLAPS. Get a rebuilt Bosch and be done with it. Lots of horror stories about having to keep replacing FLAPS until you get one that works right.

scotty b
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 6 2010, 04:37 AM) *

For the alternator stay away from FLAPS. Get a rebuilt Bosch and be done with it. Lots of horror stories about having to keep replacing FLAPS until you get one that works right.

agree.gif If money isn't too tight go ahead and replace it while the engine is out. While the engine is out you might also want to consider a valve adjustment, and resealing.....well if you're going to reseal it and it is already out you might as well crack the block and replace the bearings......while the block is open you might want to consider a better cam.........since you're going to replace the cam you might as well slap in a set of 96's and pop a few extra bucks for TWM throttle bodies......that could be greatly enhanced with a better ignition system.

Now that your engine and trans are done.....oh wait, you should probably send the tranny out to Dr Evil for a rebuild and regearing for that new engine. ANYHOO since you now have that nice new engine ( don't forget to strip and powder coat the tin ) You really should upgrade the suspension to handle that new found power
76-914
The studs will either stay in place or strip out. Not a damn thing you can do to influence it one way or the other. If a stud does strip out in the head then it's Helicoil or Time-Cert time. It's not hard to do in the car if you step drill your hole at least 3 step sizes. Otherwise, pull the head and bench drill it.
913B
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 6 2010, 05:37 AM) *

Any reccomended sources ? Online, NAPA, Bap Geon ?
How much do they typically run ?
913B
QUOTE(scotty b @ Nov 6 2010, 05:45 AM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 6 2010, 04:37 AM) *

agree.gif If money isn't too tight go ahead and replace it while the engine is out. While the engine is out you might also want to consider a valve adjustment, and resealing.....well if you're going to reseal it and it is already out you might as well crack the block and replace the bearings......while the block is open you might want to consider a better cam.........since you're going to replace the cam you might as well slap in a set of 96's and pop a few extra bucks for TWM throttle bodies......that could be greatly enhanced with a better ignition system.

Now that your engine and trans are done.....oh wait, you should probably send the tranny out to Dr Evil for a rebuild and regearing for that new engine. ANYHOO since you now have that nice new engine ( don't forget to strip and powder coat the tin ) You really should upgrade the suspension to handle that new found power

Oh believe me, the valve covers are off and in the process of a valve job. It all started 1 year ago from Dr Evils trans clinic, Oh boy, what I got my self into. ALso on my to do list is to replace the fuel lines, flush the tank and and currently cleaning out the fresh iar blower box. The list continues . Yeah I am screwy.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif flag.gif
Drums66
...Replace, if it has not been done.....all the bushing's in the shifting idea.gif
(that's the cream on top!) later bro bye1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.