Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WOT: Mercedes 300 SE, Anybody know anything about them?
anthony
post Apr 23 2004, 07:35 PM
Post #21

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

Are those cars rare enough that someone will want to save that one? A 914/4 in that condition would certainly be headed for a sawall party.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kdfoust
post Apr 24 2004, 11:30 AM
Post #22

Group: Members
Member No.: 71
Region Association: Southern California

These were the flagship of MB line in the 60s. MFI engines, aluminum blocks, air suspension, wood venier, leather... A better comparision in the Porsche paradigm might be whether you'd keep or chop an original unrestored four cam Carrera. Like the four cam Carrera many of these cars will have "interesting" ownership histories as well.

Like any exotic old car restoration costs are horrendous. Restoring the trim around the dash and window frames is a notorious example. AMG (the MB performance guys) in the fatherland will fix your wood for you if you send them a few $K and wait around 6-12 months.
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Apr 24 2004, 03:01 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 4
Region Association: None

QUOTE(anthony @ Apr 23 2004, 05:35 PM)
A 914/4 in that condition would certainly be headed for a sawall party.

or it would sell on ebay for big $.
+Quote Post
markb
post Jul 9 2005, 06:56 PM
Post #24

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

I guess it's been a while since I posted on this, so I should update a bit. This car has been sitting in the driveway of a friend of a friend...etc, for the past 2 years. I've finally gotten tired of waiting for the co-owner of the car to do something, so I bought him out last week, so I could do something with it. Out of the blue, I had a fellow email me a few days ago, who wanted to look at the car. He was local & came out the next day. He poked & prodded & lifted mats & pounded on the floors, then pronounced the pans to be solid. It's rusted in front of and in back of the wheels, but otherwise is fine. He told me this is a fairly rare car, has a couple of unusual things about it, and needs to be restored, or at least put back on the road. Soooooo......time to look at getting it running. I've got to find a drivers' side valve for the air suspension before anything else. Anybody got one lying around they'd sell me? Anyway, here's what happened today.

I went out to the car today, and it took about 5 minutes of finding out how to get to the ignition switch from behind, the correct jiggleing of what wires, and a small screwdriver to hold the key in the run position, but the car fired up & ran nicely. I let it run for about 45 minutes, and while I was there a couple of 20-somethings drove by, slammed (literally) on the brakes & came & parked in the driveway. They were all over the car, asking all kinds of questions, and trying to get me to take a motorhome or boat or something in trade for it. They'd seen it there for the last 2 years, and wondered if it ran. Now they know. I gave them my business card, and told them $3500.00 cash, and they went on their merry way.
The back end pumped up nicely, so I should be able to get it on a flatbed this week, and out to the wrecking yard where I store my parts cars, so I can work on it a bit easier. Once I get the suspension valve, I'll see about getting it to the shop for a servicing, and get that old gas out of it. It's running rich because of 2-3 year old gas mixed with some stablizer & minimal new gas. Only time will tell what happens next. Stay tuned....
+Quote Post
mihai914
post Jul 9 2005, 07:18 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 3,697
Region Association: None

If you're keeping the car, Mercedes has great support for parts for classic models. As for the wood, I heard only good things about Heritage Woodworks, the guy is really good, don't know about pricing though. Best of luck.
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Jul 9 2005, 08:41 PM
Post #26

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

You are giving me flashbacks....... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/blink.gif)

Dad had a 61 220s that we picked up new from the factory. Bright blue with that red interior...... Same grille, headlights, etc. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Insides look very similar. Is the speedo the goofy slit with the ascending strip? That sucker probably made me an engineer. I spent hours in the back seat trying to figure out how the strip got taller and changed colors.

A bud in Florida had a '67 300 cabrolet and it was one of a dozen imported that year. They can be rare. I still remember him bitching about the cost of the airbag suspension parts in the 70's. His came with emergency inflatable bags that could be installed to raise the car for work. They were like little pillows.

Ken
+Quote Post
Dead Air
post Jul 10 2005, 12:25 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 2,042

300se

That could be a veeeery sweet thing you got there! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beer.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
markb
post Jul 10 2005, 01:18 AM
Post #28

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

I'm actually pretty amazed at what good condition the thing is in. I went to open the sunroof, and it slid back pretty as you please. No real pressure involved. I'm reading a bunch on them, and they do seem to be pretty top of the line for their time. The thing is kinda growing on me. Geez, just what I need, another car. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 06:35 AM