Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Let's have a discussion about type IV bearing
Jake Raby
post Nov 21 2010, 01:01 PM
Post #21

Engine Surgeon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

The fact is the current producers have ZERO mandates for a TIV bearing from an engine manufacturer.. What does this mean? They can make them to whtever specifications they want from whatever material compositions and they'll still sell.

Thats why I feel the ultimate solution is to use a modern bearing. Nothing I'd like to do better than tell these batards to kiss our asses, because they don't give a damn about us..

Instead of conforming to what we are supplied, I'd rather make use of something else thats more superior anyway. Here we saw this coming, stopped sales immediately and have enough to last us a while.

Remember: Lots of Type 1 race engines use TIV bearing sets. I am SURE that someone from that part of the industry will have bearings made in some 3rd world country and they'll have zero development work before being sold to the unsuspecting consumers... Thats what that crowd does.

Mark, Guys like you and I are in the minority, not enough people respect quality enough to spend the required amount for a proper bearing, or proper materials and thats why this following is commiting suicide on a daily basis.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
realred914
post Nov 21 2010, 03:00 PM
Post #22

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,541
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Nov 21 2010, 11:01 AM) *

The fact is the current producers have ZERO mandates for a TIV bearing from an engine manufacturer.. What does this mean? They can make them to whtever specifications they want from whatever material compositions and they'll still sell.

Thats why I feel the ultimate solution is to use a modern bearing. Nothing I'd like to do better than tell these batards to kiss our asses, because they don't give a damn about us..

Instead of conforming to what we are supplied, I'd rather make use of something else thats more superior anyway. Here we saw this coming, stopped sales immediately and have enough to last us a while.

Remember: Lots of Type 1 race engines use TIV bearing sets. I am SURE that someone from that part of the industry will have bearings made in some 3rd world country and they'll have zero development work before being sold to the unsuspecting consumers... Thats what that crowd does.

Mark, Guys like you and I are in the minority, not enough people respect quality enough to spend the required amount for a proper bearing, or proper materials and thats why this following is commiting suicide on a daily basis.

jake:

what are teh differences between a modern bearing and the standard type IV stock bearings?
+Quote Post
McMark
post Nov 21 2010, 04:02 PM
Post #23

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Dave, I think the point is modern bearings vs. crappy reproductions of stock.

Not modern vs. stock. Stock is the obvious choice there...
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 21 2010, 04:28 PM
Post #24

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Think before we discuss what bearing are being transformed into I'm wondering if there is any difference in the Silverline - Mexico bearings and the Mahle/ Kolbenschmidt company bearing that I guess are currently available.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
raw1298
post Nov 21 2010, 06:03 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 10,148
Region Association: Northern California

I checked my parts stash in my garage and found a set of Mahls that are .25 and a set of Kolbenschmidt that are standard. Are these the same for all engine size or are they specific for a 1.7, etc.?
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Nov 21 2010, 06:34 PM
Post #26

Engine Surgeon

Rick,
Yes there is a difference in those bearings. The Silverline bearings are "less than acceptable". I'd rather reuse old bearings as use Silverline bearings..

BTW- "Stock" no longer exists with any othe oparts bought today for these engines.

All Type 4 engines from the beginning of production, through the very last unit built use the same main bearings, no matter the size of the engine.

This post has been edited by Jake Raby: Nov 21 2010, 06:39 PM
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Nov 21 2010, 07:05 PM
Post #27

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

I've tried several sets of silverline's on type one engines....each and every set ended up in the trash bin.

From rods that would stick to cranks that just didn't feel smooth. Garbage.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Nov 21 2010, 07:09 PM
Post #28

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

I just ordered 2 sets of Koblenschmidt main bearings this morning. I am now interested in what shows up.
+Quote Post
raw1298
post Nov 21 2010, 07:42 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 10,148
Region Association: Northern California

I looked at both sets to see how they differ. The Mahles are better made and have more weight to the set. They feel more solid built.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Nov 21 2010, 09:10 PM
Post #30

Engine Surgeon

Mahle owns Bolbenschmidt and has since 1999.

I bet your KS bearings come in a package that say "Made in Brazil, repackaged in Germany"

+Quote Post
realred914
post Nov 22 2010, 11:52 AM
Post #31

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,541

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Nov 21 2010, 07:10 PM) *

Mahle owns Bolbenschmidt and has since 1999.

I bet your KS bearings come in a package that say "Made in Brazil, repackaged in Germany"

Jake:

what makes the differeance in quality of the old original style bearings and the reproduction ones? What difference are there between the new modern bearings and the original type? could it be material differances? design? tolerances that are different?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 03:16 PM