Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> land rover discovery, anyone have one-good - bad
post Apr 23 2004, 11:19 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 988

I may be looking at a new SUV and I keep seeing 2002 discovery's for really cheap money. A number of them with 25-30k miles listed through dealers for 21-23k for SE models with all the toys.

This seems like a decent deal for a car that sold new for close to 40k and has low miles, and factory waranty. Anyone know about these, I've heard mixed reports, some say they fall apart, but I have one friend with an 01, who has 80k miles on it and no problems.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Apr 23 2004, 11:31 AM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

We looked at them...only way that I'd get one is to lease it and give it up at the end of the lease (you don't want one without the warranty)

I researched the Disco II for about six months and hung out on a few Land Rover BBS's to learn more about them....the more I read, the more I didn't want one (my wife wanted it more than I did and would get pissed when I told her that they are not that good, finally I showed her the posts and reports about them to change her mind)

oh yea...terrible gas mileage to boot........decent handling if you get the active suspension......
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Apr 23 2004, 11:33 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 4

I had a '00 discovery II and a '95 discovery. the people who complain about these trucks are more than likely talking about the discovery I's (pre '99). there is a WORLD of difference between the two models in every possible category. my '00 was great and I feel very well made, no problems at all.
+Quote Post
post Apr 23 2004, 11:35 AM
Post #4

How bad is it on gas?

I'm guessing around 15 or so on average
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Apr 23 2004, 11:36 AM
Post #5

my '95 was worse than my '00 on gas mileage. I think around 15mpg avg would be about right for a DII.
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Apr 23 2004, 12:24 PM
Post #6

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

I don't know exactly what you need in an SUV, but my wife recently bought an '04 Subaru Forestster XT (turbo 2.5). About $25K out the door, and this thing is FAST. Handles far better than a "large wagon" should, too. Gets about 24mpg as long as you don't mash the throttle too regularly (hard to do in something that will get into the low 14s in the quarter). You do have to use premium, though.
+Quote Post
Curvie Roadlover
post Apr 23 2004, 04:09 PM
Post #7

Two trunks are better than one!

Member No.: 42

QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 23 2004, 09:31 AM)
I researched the Disco II for about six months and hung out on a few Land Rover BBS's to learn more about them....the more I read, the more I didn't want one.

Me too. I did a little digging and the more I found out the more I heard bad things including poor dealer support. There even used to be a website called "worst4X4byfar.com full of horror stories. It certainly was enough to make me look elsewhere. Oh, and also, Consumers Report magazine had this to say about the Discovery: "For the money, everybody makes a better product than the LandRover Discovery" Pretty strong words from a mag that bases it's reputation on being non-biased! It claimed that they try to sell vehicles based on a reputation of rugged "Africa-tested" durability that only models like the Defender or the Series IIA really have. A look at any of their TV ads confirms this.
I have to say, I was really disappointed to hear all the bad stuff 'cuz I really like the way they look and I really wanted one. I thought , though that if I get one, and have problems, I'd be kicking myself for not paying heed to all I had heard. But, as they say, Your Mileage May Vary, of course.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Apr 23 2004, 04:13 PM
Post #8

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Piece o'Shiet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)
O1 Dicso owned by by my sister in law. You name it if failed, Brakes lasted 15K
Parts falling of ext. in 8K Perhaps a Lemon but for the amount o money those things garner new... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Apr 23 2004, 05:37 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(Curvie Roadlover @ Apr 23 2004, 02:09 PM)
It claimed that they try to sell vehicles based on a reputation of rugged "Africa-tested" durability that only models like the Defender or the Series IIA really have.

check out www.discoweb.com sometime if you don't think the discovery is offroad capable. I'd be willing to bet it's the best offroad SUV produced today.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Apr 23 2004, 05:42 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(vortrex @ Apr 23 2004, 03:37 PM)
check out www.discoweb.com sometime if you don't think the discovery is offroad capable. I'd be willing to bet it's the best offroad SUV produced today.

Ha Ha Ha Ha hee hee ho ho ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Ya thats it chk out Manuf. mrking site for an objective opinion. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif)
You own one dont you?
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Apr 23 2004, 06:02 PM
Post #11

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

It's Vehicular Transportation built in the UK isn't it? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Then it B-L-O-W-S (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

The local Mercedes dealer did a ride and drive and had one of those there. They drove it 45deg up an incline and opened the rear hatch.

They couldn't close it.
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Apr 23 2004, 07:25 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Apr 23 2004, 03:42 PM)
check out www.discoweb.com sometime if you don't think the discovery is offroad capable.  I'd be willing to bet it's the best offroad SUV produced today.

Ya thats it chk out Manuf. mrking site for an objective opinion. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif)
You own one dont you?

what are you talking about? that's a club site just like this site. are you retarded?

no, I do not own one and never will own another one.
+Quote Post
seanery
post Apr 23 2004, 07:48 PM
Post #13

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

I had a 97 Range Rover and my neighbor had a 98 Disco. We got rid of them on the same day for the same reason. They're pieces of crap. They have a lot of cool buttons and gizmos, but they really are too expensive to maintain. In the last 10 months of ownership I spent almost $3700 in repairs/maintenance. This was on a 80,000 mile vehicle. THAT'S BS. Never again. I got an '04 Durango Hemi and can't be happier. More power, bigger AAAND it get's better mileage. Go figure.
+Quote Post
Hi_Fi_Guy
post Apr 23 2004, 08:03 PM
Post #14

Tuetonic terror

Member No.: 1,019

We had a 1997 Land Rover Discovery. Great SUV, tons of room for stuff, but back seat legroom can be smallish (about the same as a Jeep Grand Cherokee). Good power, brakes, & off road ability. Great for towing cars, motorcycles, waverunners, etc.

Two issues fixed under warantee but no actual breakdowns or hassles. Great customer service. Like some others have said, I wouldn't want one without a warantee. We didn't have any real problems but if something does go wrong it would cost $$$ to fix.

My wife and I would buy another one in a heartbeat.
+Quote Post
STL914
post Apr 23 2004, 08:05 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 1,271
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I've thought about buying the Discovery as our next SUV too. I checked them out during my time in CT. The salesperson actually told me not to buy any vehicle older than the 98 model. Prior years had many problems.

Stop and think a minute. Why would a $40,000 vehicle loose about half of its value in a couple of years?

A few months ago, our SUV gave up the ghost. My wife did some research and we are now the owners of a new Hyundai Santa Fe. They get good reviews and have a 10 yr/ 100,000 mile warranty. They drive and handle well too.
+Quote Post
Curvie Roadlover
post Apr 23 2004, 09:49 PM
Post #16

Two trunks are better than one!

Member No.: 42

check out www.discoweb.com sometime

MUSICOLOGY
PRINCE
SONY

16,99€

Prince cumple 25 años en el mundo de la música en el que ha vendido más de 100 millones de discos. Musicology se compone de 12 temas con los que se rinde homenaje a sí mismo, samplea algunos de sus temas y vuelve al funk que le lanzó a la fama a finales de los 70.

Accede a su discografía. Además, OFERTAS y descuentos de hasta el 60%.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Didn't find much off-road info (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
anthony
post Apr 23 2004, 10:01 PM
Post #17

2270 club

Member No.: 218

If you really want one, then find one still under warranty and then buy a 10/100 extended warranty on it and drive the shit out of it.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Apr 23 2004, 10:48 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(vortrex @ Apr 23 2004, 05:25 PM)
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Apr 23 2004, 03:42 PM)
check out www.discoweb.com sometime if you don't think the discovery is offroad capable.  I'd be willing to bet it's the best offroad SUV produced today.

You own one dont you?

what are you talking about? that's a club site just like this site. are you retarded?

no, I do not own one and never will own another one.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Uh huh! its a club site just like this one...
Apparently I'M retarded, hahhahhahahhah
+Quote Post
post Apr 24 2004, 12:23 PM
Post #19

I think that with the re-design for the series 2, all the electronics are now Bosch and a great deal more reliable.

As for the resale I'm guessing that because the new ones now have 30 or so more hp, that the 02's are worth less..

we'll see, it would be my daily driver and I'm not thrilled with the really bad MPG issue, but since I'm driving a jeep now, its not going to be much worse
+Quote Post
bernbomb914
post Apr 24 2004, 02:58 PM
Post #20

one of the oldest Farts on this board

Member No.: 36

I have a 02 with all the goods. It is very good off road if that is important. dont like the mileage and the prem. fuel. I have had very good luck with the dealer on several issues. they fixed everything no qusetions asked.

Bernie
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 02:50 PM