Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: land rover discovery
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
I may be looking at a new SUV and I keep seeing 2002 discovery's for really cheap money. A number of them with 25-30k miles listed through dealers for 21-23k for SE models with all the toys.

This seems like a decent deal for a car that sold new for close to 40k and has low miles, and factory waranty. Anyone know about these, I've heard mixed reports, some say they fall apart, but I have one friend with an 01, who has 80k miles on it and no problems.
Mueller
We looked at them...only way that I'd get one is to lease it and give it up at the end of the lease (you don't want one without the warranty)

I researched the Disco II for about six months and hung out on a few Land Rover BBS's to learn more about them....the more I read, the more I didn't want one (my wife wanted it more than I did and would get pissed when I told her that they are not that good, finally I showed her the posts and reports about them to change her mind)

oh yea...terrible gas mileage to boot........decent handling if you get the active suspension......
vortrex
I had a '00 discovery II and a '95 discovery. the people who complain about these trucks are more than likely talking about the discovery I's (pre '99). there is a WORLD of difference between the two models in every possible category. my '00 was great and I feel very well made, no problems at all.
How bad is it on gas?

I'm guessing around 15 or so on average
vortrex
my '95 was worse than my '00 on gas mileage. I think around 15mpg avg would be about right for a DII.
lapuwali
I don't know exactly what you need in an SUV, but my wife recently bought an '04 Subaru Forestster XT (turbo 2.5). About $25K out the door, and this thing is FAST. Handles far better than a "large wagon" should, too. Gets about 24mpg as long as you don't mash the throttle too regularly (hard to do in something that will get into the low 14s in the quarter). You do have to use premium, though.
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 23 2004, 09:31 AM)
I researched the Disco II for about six months and hung out on a few Land Rover BBS's to learn more about them....the more I read, the more I didn't want one.

Me too. I did a little digging and the more I found out the more I heard bad things including poor dealer support. There even used to be a website called "worst4X4byfar.com full of horror stories. It certainly was enough to make me look elsewhere. Oh, and also, Consumers Report magazine had this to say about the Discovery: "For the money, everybody makes a better product than the LandRover Discovery" Pretty strong words from a mag that bases it's reputation on being non-biased! It claimed that they try to sell vehicles based on a reputation of rugged "Africa-tested" durability that only models like the Defender or the Series IIA really have. A look at any of their TV ads confirms this.
I have to say, I was really disappointed to hear all the bad stuff 'cuz I really like the way they look and I really wanted one. I thought , though that if I get one, and have problems, I'd be kicking myself for not paying heed to all I had heard. But, as they say, Your Mileage May Vary, of course.
914werke
Piece o'Shiet ar15.gif
O1 Dicso owned by by my sister in law. You name it if failed, Brakes lasted 15K
Parts falling of ext. in 8K Perhaps a Lemon but for the amount o money those things garner new... finger.gif
vortrex
QUOTE(Curvie Roadlover @ Apr 23 2004, 02:09 PM)
It claimed that they try to sell vehicles based on a reputation of rugged "Africa-tested" durability that only models like the Defender or the Series IIA really have.

check out www.discoweb.com sometime if you don't think the discovery is offroad capable. I'd be willing to bet it's the best offroad SUV produced today.
914werke
QUOTE(vortrex @ Apr 23 2004, 03:37 PM)
check out www.discoweb.com sometime if you don't think the discovery is offroad capable. I'd be willing to bet it's the best offroad SUV produced today.

Ha Ha Ha Ha hee hee ho ho ... smile.gif

Ya thats it chk out Manuf. mrking site for an objective opinion. finger.gif
You own one dont you?
Eric_Shea
It's Vehicular Transportation built in the UK isn't it? confused24.gif

Then it B-L-O-W-S w00t.gif

The local Mercedes dealer did a ride and drive and had one of those there. They drove it 45deg up an incline and opened the rear hatch.

They couldn't close it.
vortrex
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Apr 23 2004, 03:42 PM)
check out www.discoweb.com sometime if you don't think the discovery is offroad capable.  I'd be willing to bet it's the best offroad SUV produced today.

You own one dont you?

what are you talking about? that's a club site just like this site. are you retarded?

no, I do not own one and never will own another one.
seanery
I had a 97 Range Rover and my neighbor had a 98 Disco. We got rid of them on the same day for the same reason. They're pieces of crap. They have a lot of cool buttons and gizmos, but they really are too expensive to maintain. In the last 10 months of ownership I spent almost $3700 in repairs/maintenance. This was on a 80,000 mile vehicle. THAT'S BS. Never again. I got an '04 Durango Hemi and can't be happier. More power, bigger AAAND it get's better mileage. Go figure.
Hi_Fi_Guy
We had a 1997 Land Rover Discovery. Great SUV, tons of room for stuff, but back seat legroom can be smallish (about the same as a Jeep Grand Cherokee). Good power, brakes, & off road ability. Great for towing cars, motorcycles, waverunners, etc.

Two issues fixed under warantee but no actual breakdowns or hassles. Great customer service. Like some others have said, I wouldn't want one without a warantee. We didn't have any real problems but if something does go wrong it would cost $$$ to fix.

My wife and I would buy another one in a heartbeat.
STL914
I've thought about buying the Discovery as our next SUV too. I checked them out during my time in CT. The salesperson actually told me not to buy any vehicle older than the 98 model. Prior years had many problems.

Stop and think a minute. Why would a $40,000 vehicle loose about half of its value in a couple of years?

A few months ago, our SUV gave up the ghost. My wife did some research and we are now the owners of a new Hyundai Santa Fe. They get good reviews and have a 10 yr/ 100,000 mile warranty. They drive and handle well too.
Curvie Roadlover
check out www.discoweb.com sometime

MUSICOLOGY
PRINCE
SONY

16,99€

Prince cumple 25 años en el mundo de la música en el que ha vendido más de 100 millones de discos. Musicology se compone de 12 temas con los que se rinde homenaje a sí mismo, samplea algunos de sus temas y vuelve al funk que le lanzó a la fama a finales de los 70.

Accede a su discografía. Además, OFERTAS y descuentos de hasta el 60%.
huh.gif

Didn't find much off-road info wacko.gif
anthony
If you really want one, then find one still under warranty and then buy a 10/100 extended warranty on it and drive the shit out of it.
914werke
QUOTE(vortrex @ Apr 23 2004, 05:25 PM)
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Apr 23 2004, 03:42 PM)
check out www.discoweb.com sometime if you don't think the discovery is offroad capable.  I'd be willing to bet it's the best offroad SUV produced today.

You own one dont you?

what are you talking about? that's a club site just like this site. are you retarded?

no, I do not own one and never will own another one.

biggrin.gif Uh huh! its a club site just like this one...
Apparently I'M retarded, hahhahhahahhah
I think that with the re-design for the series 2, all the electronics are now Bosch and a great deal more reliable.

As for the resale I'm guessing that because the new ones now have 30 or so more hp, that the 02's are worth less..

we'll see, it would be my daily driver and I'm not thrilled with the really bad MPG issue, but since I'm driving a jeep now, its not going to be much worse
bernbomb914
I have a 02 with all the goods. It is very good off road if that is important. dont like the mileage and the prem. fuel. I have had very good luck with the dealer on several issues. they fixed everything no qusetions asked.

Bernie
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.