Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shall I say...SIX?, costs, plus' and minus' of conversion
Trekkor
post Apr 23 2004, 12:25 PM
Post #1

I do things...

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

I have a line on a 911 engine with Webers in the 245hp range for, say...$1500. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)

I don't have any of the details on displacement, CR, builder, age, blah, blah...yet.

Of course, you buy it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)

Question is, What will I pay to finish the install?
After exhaust, fuel set-up, adapters,oil tank,etc...Bottom line is?

$2000...$3000...$5000...tell me straight up, I'm sitting down! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif)

What are the positives and negatives of doing this? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Apr 23 2004, 12:29 PM
Post #2

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

If you decide not to buy it, drop me a note and I will put it in mine!!

Jeff
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Apr 23 2004, 12:34 PM
Post #3

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

I dunno... I did a search, but couldn't find it again... but Brad posted a complete list of parts needed and the prices to budget last year sometime... the total came in close to 10K... but I dunno what he was figuring on budgeting for the engine... probably MUCH more than 1500 though...

positives I know of: more hp, more torque.. better resale value

negative I know of: not as much hp or torque as a chevy conversion and more expensive than a chevy conversion

but what do I know?

I say go for it! I personally think a -6 is cooler than a SBC anyday!
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Apr 23 2004, 12:37 PM
Post #4

I do things...

If I don't buy it, everytime I'm out in public people will point and laugh...Even the children! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif)
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Apr 23 2004, 12:41 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 4
Region Association: None

245HP? I guess this is a built 3.2L then? seems like one of those too good to be true stories. I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you.
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Apr 23 2004, 12:48 PM
Post #6

I do things...

Here's the story.
Friend's grandpa builds motor for dune car.
Doesn't use ( due to his being currently dead.)
Friend's dad inherits motor.
Sits and sits.
Friend to me: " hey, wanna six? "
Me: " Uh, Yes "
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Apr 23 2004, 12:49 PM
Post #7

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

first I have to say: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bs.gif) on the 245hp motor for $1500 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

even if you got a motor for free, you are looking at a a few thousand dollars minimum to pay someone to install it for you....oil tank-500,motor mount-400, you can figure out the rest, it is not cheap to do....if was even close to your lower figure, there would be handfuls of conversions going on every week.........if was that easy and cheap, almost everyone would do it.........

is it worth it??? I doubt it, I'm sure everyone that spends $10K to $20K to do a bitch'n conversion had no social life and just wanted to spend time and money on a POS car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Apr 23 2004, 12:56 PM
Post #8

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

Figure 4-5K plus the motor.
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Apr 23 2004, 01:05 PM
Post #9

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

A six conversion will cost everything you have, and everything you'll ever have. ;-)

If you do it yourself, include the cost of: personal relationships, social life, all your time, space, emotional energy.

DO IT! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

The file that was referred to should be found here: One example of a 914 conversion to a 3.6

-Rusty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)

This post has been edited by Gint: Apr 23 2004, 05:22 PM
+Quote Post
post Apr 23 2004, 01:10 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 703

Cost for the motor alone:

$1500 - purchase price

THEN if you are smart:

Tear down the motor and ensure it was done right, refresh what has gone bad from sitting (how long), and put back together. This number could be anything from $1000-5000 depending on what motor and what it needs. Ask me how i know you cant just slap a motor that has sat and sat into a car and EXPECT it to run fine....

Then of course all the conversion stuff.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Apr 23 2004, 01:23 PM
Post #11

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

QUOTE(1973914 @ Apr 23 2004, 11:10 AM)
THEN if you are smart:

Tear down the motor and ensure it was done right, refresh what has gone bad from sitting (how long), and put back together. This number could be anything from $1000-5000 depending on what motor and what it needs. Ask me how i know you cant just slap a motor that has sat and sat into a car and EXPECT it to run fine....

Then of course all the conversion stuff.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I'm going with what he said!

A 245hp six for $1500??? TGTBT, I promise. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Let's just say OK you got the deal of a lifetime on the engine. You'll still have to get the chassis, suspension, and brakes to handle that kind of horsepower. AND then the six conversion parts, with additional oil cooling for your high output gift engine.

I'm saying $15,000 all said and done, providing you find more left testicle deals and do all the work yourself.

Or you can bring it to me next summer and I'll do it for $45 and hour, and 15% over cost on parts and outside labor.

PK (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Apr 23 2004, 02:25 PM
Post #12

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Perry, If I was doing a six conversion, I'd jump on that deal.
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Apr 23 2004, 07:22 PM
Post #13

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I have done the math many times, figure when all is said and done $8000-10,000. That is why I look at every 914-6 conversion or 914-6 that is available, it makes more sense in the long run, you have a car already done that you can jump into and turn the key and drive. Not one that sits in youir driveway or garage waiting to find this part or saving money to buy this and that, And then it gets to be such a long drawn out project that you finally sell it for $.50 on the dollar to some else who finishs it and drives into the sunset.
I would be wary of a $1500, 345 hp 911 motor, but then you never know.
CCLINWISHIHADAV8,OHIDO
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Apr 23 2004, 08:51 PM
Post #14

I. I. R. C.

QUOTE(anthony @ Apr 23 2004, 05:32 PM)
When you add it all up it makes a lot more sense to start with a real six. In the end you spend about the same amount of money but you have a car that is worth a lot more.

Well really, just buy someone else's car. There are cars out there if you have the time and patience to wait for the right deal. It's always cheaper to buy a completed car than to build it up.

It's not unusual to find cars built with a build sheet in the 30's, for sale in the low 20's or high teens.

More fun to do it the way you want, but lots more money.

PK (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Apr 23 2004, 08:53 PM
Post #15

I. I. R. C.

QUOTE(boxstr @ Apr 23 2004, 05:22 PM)
I would be wary of a $1500, 345 hp 911 motor, but then you never know.

For $1500 I'd probably get the engine, if it had Webers and all the parts. Wouldn't you?
+Quote Post
anthony
post Apr 23 2004, 09:12 PM
Post #16

2270 club

Member No.: 218

Well really, just buy someone else's car. There are cars out there if you have the time and patience to wait for the right deal. It's always cheaper to buy a completed car than to build it up.

It's not unusual to find cars built with a build sheet in the 30's, for sale in the low 20's or high teens.

That's what everybody says but when you are really looking with money in your pocket nice cars never seem to come up for sale. I've been looking for about a year now and the more I look the more I think I'm going to have to build the car myself someday.
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Apr 23 2004, 09:24 PM
Post #17

aircraft surgeon

Member No.: 1,797

Trade it to Jake for one of his BIG IV's with Nickies!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Save a lot of time and grief on installation, and you'll be on the road in no time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
john rogers
post Apr 23 2004, 10:25 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 391

A close estimate when we did the six conversion on my race car last year was as follows: $6000 for a well built race engine with new distrib, good Webers, headers, stingers and muffler and 184 HP at the rear wheels. New -12 oil lines to the front cooler to replace the -10 and fittings about $400, dry sump system $000 as we had one but did some relocation, front engine mount from Patrick $400, engine tin from Patrick $400, new shift linkage parts $225 and finally some labor at a shop to do the mount up of the engine, test run the engine and get all sorted out $1500. The engine has sat for about a year and had a couple of hours of run time and leak down was about 3 to 4% which was great. I was lucky since it came from a 914 race car the alternator connections plugged right into to the existing relay board. Finally be aware that the gearing in a 4 cylinder 914 will never work with a six and if you want to race you are looking at a limited slip (GT) and a new gear set such as M-S-V which will drive the cost up substantially. Good luck
+Quote Post
klink
post Apr 23 2004, 10:30 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 1,927

OK we're in the middle of a conversion now. Oil tank $700, Oil Lines $350, Bosch Distributor to replace the Marelli $150, Turbo valve covers and gaskets to replace the bad originals $150, Motor mount and misc. parts $500, Headers with heat exchangers maybe $1500, new accelerator cable, new fuel pump, new voltage regulator, sheet metal if you don't have it. K&N air cleaners, some type of exhaust, shift linkage, six cylinder tachometer $75. Pressure fed cam tensioners if you don't have them (like I don't) $450. Let's call it $4000 ballpark. The sound of a six....Priceless!
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Apr 23 2004, 11:15 PM
Post #20

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

The tank alone is 700$. You'll pay another 150-200$ for all the console parts. Dont forget the bell crank conversion for the tranny (unless you have a very early intermediate case with it tapped for the pivot rod)

8-10k every time if you drop it off to me and say "Just do it" the unknown variable is the engine choice. Injected anything will need a bigger fuel pump.

Most people dont factor in gearing the tranny either. Driving a 3.0 around on stock 901 gears gets OLD real quick when gas is over 2.00 a gallon.

B
+Quote Post

18 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 09:47 PM