Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Interesting cavity wax idea from the web
wayne1234
post Dec 3 2010, 05:07 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,238
Region Association: None

I found this on jeepforum.com I am thinking of doing this to one of my vehicles. I know when I was working on the 914 I had checked into a cavity wax but couldnt find it locally. I know very well the effects of rust on the poor 914 out there. After a google search on redneck waxoyl there are a few different variations, but they all have the same idea... Figured I would share with the group, anyone done this?

"I've found a homemade rust preventive that I use down here on the gulf coast (salt water 10 feet from my back door) that works really good.

Get a gallon of mineral spirits in a bucket. Throw in 1lb ground up paraffin wax or you can buy a couple of toilet bowl wax rings. Grind up the wax and mix it with the mineral spirits.

It will take several weeks to dissolve on its own, or you can do like I do and use a cheap aquarium heater to heat the solution up to dissolve the wax. Once the wax is dissolved you add about a quart of light non-detergent oil like SAE 30.

The way the stuff works is the wax and oil stay in solution (mineral spirits) which makes it easy to spray in every nook and cranny. Once sprayed the mineral spirits evaporates and leaves a oily/waxy covering over the surface.

If you scratch the wax, the oil from the wax around it will creep into the crack and protect it.

I tested this stuff by taking a foot long piece of bare steel and sanding nice and smooth. I sprayed it with the mineral spirits/wax/oil mix and hung it off my dock so it would be under water at high tide and exposed at low tide.

After a month there isn't a speck of rust on it. I even took a nail and gouged the wax off to see what would happen. In the spot where I gauged it down there is still no rust.

From what I understand the recipe has been around for a long time and is regarded as homemade waxoyl.

FOG
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 02:47 PM