Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> flux wire weld, how hard it i?
Andyrew
post Dec 11 2010, 11:19 PM
Post #21

Spooling.... Please wait

Group: Members
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(ppetion @ Dec 11 2010, 03:32 PM) *

For some reason it refuses to stick I spent hous tryng to weld a 22 gauge piec of metal about 2 inches long to plug a hole and no luck

Take a pic of your welds. We can help.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rfuerst911sc
post Dec 12 2010, 05:12 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,980
Region Association: South East States

In 2006 when I bought my 914 project car I knew I was going to need a mig welder. I have a oxy/acetylene and an old 300 amp buzz box but for all the projects I was planning for the 914 mig was the way to go. I purchased a Hobart Handler 140 which is a 110volt mig. Out the door with gas cylinder,tax and extra tips plus was $600.00. Since purchasing this I have discovered it is an excellent welder for the money and I would purchase it again. I have welded the Rich Johnson six engine mount, Engman kit, GT stiffening kit, trailing arm stiffening, suspension ear stiffening and GT flares. The Hobart handled all of it well. I have also used it with flux core wire with good results but like others have stated it is messy with a lot more cleanup. Hobart is a division of Miller so it's a quality piece. Having said that you should purchase locally if possible and get a brand that can be serviced locally if possible. Buying extra tips,wire,gas from your local welding supply is good business and they can get you out of a jamb if you get in one. And welding is a " touch " skill. Some people have it and some don't, but the more you practice the better odds you will have of success.
+Quote Post
914 shifter
post Dec 12 2010, 10:13 AM
Post #23

airhead

Member No.: 12,111
Region Association: North East States

imho if you have a big project gas shield will save you hours of grinding. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 03:53 PM