Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Price Check, on the Weber Isle, please
76-914
post Dec 13 2010, 09:52 AM
Post #1

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

I have a customer in the San Diego area that has been getting screwed by the pro's; I think. He has a 1967 912 which he has taken to the P dealer since he has owned it (over 40 yr's). He was thinking about selling it because it was getting expensive. The dealer told him it would cost $1200-$1800 to rebuild the Webers. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) I haven't seen the estimate but he said he was quoted 12K to rebuild because of low compression. I would imagine they quoted a top overhaul only.
Anyway, I told him I would try to find him an established Porsche mechanic in his area (92127) that wouldn't screw him to the wall. Any suggestions????
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Dec 13 2010, 09:58 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

912 356 engine rebuilding is getting very expensive these days because of the price of parts and the costly machine work needed. PLUS everyone is getting the sheetmetal straightened and powderpainted. Carbs usually also need remachining to correct loose throttle butterflies and also most rebuilders cad plate the carb bodies. I can see how a complete rebuild including r and r could cost 12 grand. NO one these days would just do a top end on an engine so old.

QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 13 2010, 08:52 AM) *

I have a customer in the San Diego area that has been getting screwed by the pro's; I think. He has a 1967 912 which he has taken to the P dealer since he has owned it (over 40 yr's). He was thinking about selling it because it was getting expensive. The dealer told him it would cost $1200-$1800 to rebuild the Webers. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) I haven't seen the estimate but he said he was quoted 12K to rebuild because of low compression. I would imagine they quoted a top overhaul only.
Anyway, I told him I would try to find him an established Porsche mechanic in his area (92127) that wouldn't screw him to the wall. Any suggestions????

+Quote Post
realred914
post Dec 13 2010, 10:28 AM
Post #3

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,541
Region Association: None

ken jansan in Blemont Ca (few hundered miles north) does excellent building of motors and does 356/912 motors, he wont rip him off, very good, very resoanable. look up jansan enterprises.

you can buy new webbers for about half the quoated cost fo the rebuild carbs.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Dec 13 2010, 10:55 AM
Post #4

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Motorworks in National City is good. They do all the builds for the the local shops like Scott's, etc. No number, but they are on the web. Good guys.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Dec 13 2010, 04:11 PM
Post #5

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 13 2010, 10:58 AM) *

912 356 engine rebuilding is getting very expensive these days because of the price of parts and the costly machine work needed. PLUS everyone is getting the sheetmetal straightened and powderpainted. Carbs usually also need remachining to correct loose throttle butterflies and also most rebuilders cad plate the carb bodies. I can see how a complete rebuild including r and r could cost 12 grand. NO one these days would just do a top end on an engine so old.

QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 13 2010, 08:52 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
I agree with everything George said, and I , along with a number of others have used motors that he can buy also...but those are also not cheap.

The 356 motor (early 912) is not cheap to build anymore....and most of the shops that work on them are not really making alot of money rebuilding them...they do it because they still love the old motors.

Its a dying breed of guy who will touch a 356 motor...and they can and will charge top dollar to do it.
I suspect the dealer does not even have a guy that has done one of those motors...but they may still have one person on staff.

Look on the 356registry site for the local 356 clubs in your area and ask the president or one of the officers in the local regional 356 club what vendors are nearby, and have a stellar reputation.

That car is at the age that he may want to consider just selling it

RIch
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Dec 13 2010, 04:19 PM
Post #6

Custom Member

for weber carb rebuilding for the 356 use Art Thraen at http://www.aircooledengineering.com
+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 13 2010, 07:37 PM
Post #7

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

Thx for the great response. I'll pass this info on to him. And no disrespect to those of you who make your living as a mech. But anyone getting ready to drop some serious $$ on his "Baby" of +40yr's, should get a 2nd opinion.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Dec 13 2010, 08:27 PM
Post #8

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

Maybe try Bill Brewster in San Clemente 949-366-2009
... he's well respected by the OC PCA crowd & worked on my buddy's 71 914/4 1.7L, & he was happy with his work.
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Dec 14 2010, 08:29 AM
Post #9

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

when originality matters, our options become more limited. $12k for a 356 eng build and refinish the carbs is fair. there is alot of time involved in finding the right stuff. its all so old that everything must be carefully looked at to acheive quality results
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Dec 14 2010, 10:06 AM
Post #10

Custom Member

you think our crank bearings cost alot....price out just the bearing set for a 356 motor....it makes you do ROI math pretty fast...

Rich
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post Dec 14 2010, 11:09 PM
Post #11

Enrique Allen Mar

Member No.: 9,478

European Motorsports in San Marco- Joe Vampola. Enough said.
+Quote Post
geniusanthony
post Dec 14 2010, 11:15 PM
Post #12

Its a brand new "Chrome-sicle"

Member No.: 5,266
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

If he were willing to ship it,Jerry @ NorthWest Connecting Rod outside Seattle. He seemed to have a lot of aircooled buisness when I had my heads done. May be worth a shot, though I am sure so-cal has some good ones.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 10:50 AM