Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Price Check
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
I have a customer in the San Diego area that has been getting screwed by the pro's; I think. He has a 1967 912 which he has taken to the P dealer since he has owned it (over 40 yr's). He was thinking about selling it because it was getting expensive. The dealer told him it would cost $1200-$1800 to rebuild the Webers. av-943.gif lol-2.gif screwy.gif I haven't seen the estimate but he said he was quoted 12K to rebuild because of low compression. I would imagine they quoted a top overhaul only.
Anyway, I told him I would try to find him an established Porsche mechanic in his area (92127) that wouldn't screw him to the wall. Any suggestions????
dr914@autoatlanta.com
912 356 engine rebuilding is getting very expensive these days because of the price of parts and the costly machine work needed. PLUS everyone is getting the sheetmetal straightened and powderpainted. Carbs usually also need remachining to correct loose throttle butterflies and also most rebuilders cad plate the carb bodies. I can see how a complete rebuild including r and r could cost 12 grand. NO one these days would just do a top end on an engine so old.

QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 13 2010, 08:52 AM) *

I have a customer in the San Diego area that has been getting screwed by the pro's; I think. He has a 1967 912 which he has taken to the P dealer since he has owned it (over 40 yr's). He was thinking about selling it because it was getting expensive. The dealer told him it would cost $1200-$1800 to rebuild the Webers. av-943.gif lol-2.gif screwy.gif I haven't seen the estimate but he said he was quoted 12K to rebuild because of low compression. I would imagine they quoted a top overhaul only.
Anyway, I told him I would try to find him an established Porsche mechanic in his area (92127) that wouldn't screw him to the wall. Any suggestions????

realred914
ken jansan in Blemont Ca (few hundered miles north) does excellent building of motors and does 356/912 motors, he wont rip him off, very good, very resoanable. look up jansan enterprises.

you can buy new webbers for about half the quoated cost fo the rebuild carbs.
Dr Evil
Motorworks in National City is good. They do all the builds for the the local shops like Scott's, etc. No number, but they are on the web. Good guys.
r_towle
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 13 2010, 10:58 AM) *

912 356 engine rebuilding is getting very expensive these days because of the price of parts and the costly machine work needed. PLUS everyone is getting the sheetmetal straightened and powderpainted. Carbs usually also need remachining to correct loose throttle butterflies and also most rebuilders cad plate the carb bodies. I can see how a complete rebuild including r and r could cost 12 grand. NO one these days would just do a top end on an engine so old.

QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 13 2010, 08:52 AM) *

agree.gif
I agree with everything George said, and I , along with a number of others have used motors that he can buy also...but those are also not cheap.

The 356 motor (early 912) is not cheap to build anymore....and most of the shops that work on them are not really making alot of money rebuilding them...they do it because they still love the old motors.

Its a dying breed of guy who will touch a 356 motor...and they can and will charge top dollar to do it.
I suspect the dealer does not even have a guy that has done one of those motors...but they may still have one person on staff.

Look on the 356registry site for the local 356 clubs in your area and ask the president or one of the officers in the local regional 356 club what vendors are nearby, and have a stellar reputation.

That car is at the age that he may want to consider just selling it

RIch
r_towle
for weber carb rebuilding for the 356 use Art Thraen at http://www.aircooledengineering.com
76-914
Thx for the great response. I'll pass this info on to him. And no disrespect to those of you who make your living as a mech. But anyone getting ready to drop some serious $$ on his "Baby" of +40yr's, should get a 2nd opinion.
Tom_T
Maybe try Bill Brewster in San Clemente 949-366-2009
... he's well respected by the OC PCA crowd & worked on my buddy's 71 914/4 1.7L, & he was happy with his work.
sean_v8_914
when originality matters, our options become more limited. $12k for a 356 eng build and refinish the carbs is fair. there is alot of time involved in finding the right stuff. its all so old that everything must be carefully looked at to acheive quality results
r_towle
you think our crank bearings cost alot....price out just the bearing set for a 356 motor....it makes you do ROI math pretty fast...

Rich
RiqueMar
European Motorsports in San Marco- Joe Vampola. Enough said.
geniusanthony
If he were willing to ship it,Jerry @ NorthWest Connecting Rod outside Seattle. He seemed to have a lot of aircooled buisness when I had my heads done. May be worth a shot, though I am sure so-cal has some good ones.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.