Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Car of the Month Contest, Where your Vote really counts
COTM
Car of the Month for Jan/Feb 2011
thomasotten [ 35 ] ** [15.77%]
RacerChris [ 53 ] ** [23.87%]
Computers4Kids [ 31 ] ** [13.96%]
ScooterD [ 94 ] ** [42.34%]
7275914911 [ 9 ] ** [4.05%]
Total Votes: 222

jim_hoyland
post Dec 14 2010, 02:32 PM
Post #21

Get that VIN ?

Group: Members
Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

Great pics on the history of the Tangerine Dream---funny, I vaguely remember that group.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lennies914
post Dec 14 2010, 09:22 PM
Post #22

Slacker

Member No.: 11,216
Region Association: Northern California

Mark's car is awesome and I'm sure he's bummed to be up against Scott for COTM. But Scott's car got my vote.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Dec 14 2010, 09:25 PM
Post #23

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

Every system in the Tangerine Dream has been modified.
The front suspension has camber boxes, coilovers on early 911 struts, 935 a-arms & Bilstein inserts.
The rear has Ohlins double adjustable shocks mounted on modified/reinforced trailing arms & 3" raised pickup points.
Ride height is about 3".
Wheels are Keizer 3pc or Cookie Cutters, 7x15. Tires are Hoosier bias ply slicks.
Engine displacement is 1832cc. The current engine produces about 180hp at 7500 rpm.

This is the custom fuel cell container I made. The cell holds less than 6.5gal.
Attached Image

The engine has lots of lightened components: ceramic lifters, Carillo rods, 7mm stemmed SS valves, and these rocker arms:
Attached Image

The Weber 40IDF carbs have major mods for increased airflow.
Attached Image

Custom aluminum ductwork for oil cooling and engine fresh air:
Attached Image

Dual brake master cyllinders:
Attached Image

I made my own brake rotor cooling ducts.
Attached Image

Custom dry sump oil tank in the passenger footwell; Rennshift:
Attached Image

The cockpit is strictly business, but the igntion still operates with the original key (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif):
Attached Image
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Dec 14 2010, 10:11 PM
Post #24

Love these little cars!

Member No.: 4,253

QUOTE(hwgunner @ Dec 13 2010, 09:38 AM) *

Does this mean the value of my car, i mean Mark Blanton's car, is going to go up? Mark, that is no fair!!!!!!!!!

Jonathan, no worry...I'm continuing to improve your future investment...I've put new bumper tops on for you and a new rewrapped leather steering wheel. And the best part for you is...the price, never goes up.

Pretty tough competition, and quite a variety all in one pot--a little for just about everyone (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) . Thanks for the nomnation. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

The story began a couple summers ago while traveling through Oregon on vacation with my 5th wheel. Temporary insanity led me to purchase a pile of parts in Portland, that included an ugly, but fairly solid 75 914 with a 1.8. Finally after making a special trip back from CA to pick it all up, the transformation began.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/blantonbunch.com-4253-1292386280.1.jpg)

Though I never put the car on a rotisserie, I might as well have since it was totally dismantled, stripped to bare metal and put back together with "anal" loving care--a major character flaw of mine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) The car was painted Porsche Marathon Blue metallic, base coat, clear coat. Yes, I backdated the bumpers as well.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/blantonbunch.com-4253-1292386280.2.jpg)

Deciding I needed some more passing power, while restoring the car, I also did an SBC conversion. The engine was crate new with roller rockers and vortec heads coupled with a 901 that I regarded in one of the Dr's binge clinics--it will put a grin on your face! The whole process took about a year and a half and has been a daily driver (OK...weekend driver) ever since then making it to two of the latest WCRs. I love to take it to Pismo Beach CA and drive the beautiful coastal roads in the summer time.

What I'm most proud of in this project car, is I did everything myself with the help of the World of course, except the final spray job. I love 914s!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/blantonbunch.com-4253-1292386281.3.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/blantonbunch.com-4253-1292386281.4.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/blantonbunch.com-4253-1292386281.5.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/blantonbunch.com-4253-1292386281.6.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/blantonbunch.com-4253-1292386736.1.JPG)

Attached Image
Just for fun, here is the dyno run a couple years ago when I just got the car running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0z5TV72aFo
+Quote Post
arkitect
post Dec 14 2010, 10:24 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 11,426

Great looking cars and alot of work in them all. Don't know exactly how this works but seems like there should be separate categories 1. Stock 2. Modified 3. AX

Dave
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Dec 14 2010, 10:37 PM
Post #26

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354

I think this car should be DQ'ed(even though it is awesome and beautiful) for having a DRINK HOLDER!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
AndyB
post Dec 15 2010, 02:25 AM
Post #27

The Governor is watching me

Member No.: 11,595
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(arkitect @ Dec 14 2010, 11:24 PM) *

Great looking cars and alot of work in them all. Don't know exactly how this works but seems like there should be separate categories 1. Stock 2. Modified 3. AX

Dave

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) It should also include actual real time forum membership. What have they done to help others on the forum? COTM IMHO should not just be about who has the nicest looking car or that is "immaculate" it should be about the people and how they contribute to the members. COTM should be about the car and the people not just the car. And that's my $.02
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Dec 15 2010, 07:33 AM
Post #28

I am Tangerine Racing

... seems like there should be separate categories 1. Stock 2. Modified 3. AX

We'd need at least 4 categories then. My car is built for road racing, not autocross. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Dec 15 2010, 07:41 AM
Post #29

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(abayer1969 @ Dec 15 2010, 02:25 AM) *

Dave

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) It should also include actual real time forum membership. What have they done to help others on the forum? COTM IMHO should not just be about who has the nicest looking car or that is "immaculate" it should be about the people and how they contribute to the members. COTM should be about the car and the people not just the car. And that's my $.02

This is not a discussion forum. This is for COTM. Here's the rules.

Contest Rules

1. For the purpose of this contest, a "914" is defined as a car that started life and still retains the general shape and characteristics of a 914. (see previous postings for details)
2. Also, to be eligible for nomination, the car must be owned by an 914World Member. Because we want to preserve these pictures in the thread, please post the pictures here or link to an existing 914world thread/blog image. Do not link to pictures on external sites or photo hosting services.
3. The Admin team will open a separate thread for nominations before the beginning of the month. All COTM nominations must be "seconded" by another member. Once five COTM nominations that are seconded, nominations will be closed.
4. Any active (defined as at least 5 posts in the last month) 914World member may nominate any active member. The nomination must include the member's Board name and a picture of the car or a link to their 914World blog.
5. No self-nominations, please.
6. We will open a thread for to vote for COTM. Voting will last 10 calendar days! The car with the greatest number of votes wins COTM!
7. Once a car wins Car of the Month, that car is not eligible to win again until the next calendar year.
8. A member fortunate enough to have two or more stunning cars may win multiple times a year -it's really the car that wins COTM, not the member..[b]
9. These rules will be upheld at the discretion of the admin team. If you have a concern about a possible infraction, PM TC, [b]don't post publicly.

Peace (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
carr914
post Dec 15 2010, 07:50 AM
Post #30

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

Thanks Rick
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Dec 15 2010, 08:31 AM
Post #31

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Gotta vote for Racer Chris and the Tangerine Dream. Seeing that car live and in the flesh starts to redefine a 914 - especially since it still looks like a 914.

Zach
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Dec 15 2010, 08:37 AM
Post #32

Love these little cars!

Member No.: 4,253

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Dec 14 2010, 08:37 PM) *

I think this car should be DQ'ed(even though it is awesome and beautiful) for having a DRINK HOLDER!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

I resemble that remark (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Now, close your eyes and imagine you are driving your 110 hp 914 drinking a cup of coffee. You decide to nail the pedal and run through the gears.

OK
Now, imagine you're in a v8teener with triple the hp...where do you think your coffee is now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Dec 15 2010, 11:14 AM
Post #33

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Dec 15 2010, 06:37 AM) *

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Dec 14 2010, 08:37 PM) *

I resemble that remark (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Now, close your eyes and imagine you are driving your 110 hp 914 drinking a cup of coffee. You decide to nail the pedal and run through the gears.

OK
Now, imagine your in a v8teener with triple the hp...where do you think your coffee is now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Up through the roof and back on the Boulevard? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Dec 15 2010, 02:07 PM
Post #34

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354

QUOTE(computers4kids @ Dec 15 2010, 08:37 AM) *

LOL, I don't think all my teeners put together produce 110HP, I think I need some upgrades!
+Quote Post
zx-niner
post Dec 15 2010, 07:01 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 4,269
Region Association: Central California

Having seen Mark's V8 conversion up close after following his build thread left me in awe. The result is a car that is, what's better, gorgeous or sumptuous? It's both.

I may be partial, though, since I also have both a cupholder and A/C in my 914!
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Dec 16 2010, 10:06 AM
Post #36

I am Tangerine Racing

Along the way to 3 regional championships and 3 national race wins I've learned a lot about building race cars and race engines.
A good part of the learning was painful. Here's a sampling of damage I've incurred over the years, some of it all my own doing and some of it I had "help".

Keeping the oil inside the engine is always better:
Attached Image

A broken valve spring quickly leads to catastrophic failure:
Attached Image

There isn't room for 3 cars all trying to enter a turn at once:
Attached Image

The crash that caused this damage came one week after my first National Runoffs.
I went off track at 100mph trying to avoid a boneheaded Minicooper driver who was only going about 70mph and cut in front of me.
Attached Image

Same crash:
Attached Image

Same crash:
Attached Image

Same crash. This led me to develop my raised rear pickup kit.
Attached Image

This damage occurred during 2005 Runoffs Qualifying as I was passing a Miata driver who thought he was the only one on track:
Attached Image

I had a lot of help repairing the car and was able to start the race, only to be hit from behind in the second turn. I retired without completing a lap. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
Attached Image

This is the result of my most recent crash in 2009, when a parked Austin Healey ran into the side of my car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
Attached Image

I mean, I lost control of my car on wet grass during an off-track excursion and slid into a broken race car that had been parked in a "safe" location. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Dec 16 2010, 11:24 AM
Post #37

I am Tangerine Racing

Of course the agony of defeat needs some perspective to show that it was all worthwhile. I've raced against many different drivers and vehicles, and come out on top quite a few times. Some of my best results were in the rain.

One of my favorite competitors from '98-99 in E Prod
Attached Image

Watkins Glen National '05 - The silver MGB crashed in the Toe of the Boot while we were having a good race for 5th.
Attached Image

NHIS National '05 - Pace lap
Attached Image

NHIS National '05 - Heading into turn 3 with Tom Burdge and Ed Givler in the background.
Attached Image

LRP National '05 - Heading onto No-name Straight.
Attached Image

Summit Point '05 - Qualifying
Attached Image

LRP Regional '03 - Started from pole.
Attached Image

LRP National '03 - From dead last, I passed former national champion Harold Flescher and Tom Burdge on the way to a very satisfying win in the rain.
Attached Image

LRP National '09 - Wet qualifying put me on the outside front row for the race.
Attached Image

LRP National '09 - Race start, heading into Big Bend.
Attached Image

LRP Regional '09 - This race was 2 months after my crash in the National.
Attached Image

NHIS Regional '09 - In my garage after the first of two wins that weekend, only 4 weeks after my crash at the LRP National.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Dec 16 2010, 03:27 PM
Post #38

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 15 2010, 05:41 AM) *

Dave

Contest Rules

1. For the purpose of this contest, a "914" is defined as a car that started life and still retains the general shape and characteristics of a 914. (see previous postings for details)
2. Also, to be eligible for nomination, the car must be owned by an 914World Member. Because we want to preserve these pictures in the thread, please post the pictures here or link to an existing 914world thread/blog image. Do not link to pictures on external sites or photo hosting services.
3. The Admin team will open a separate thread for nominations before the beginning of the month. All COTM nominations must be "seconded" by another member. Once five COTM nominations that are seconded, nominations will be closed.
4. Any active (defined as at least 5 posts in the last month) 914World member may nominate any active member. The nomination must include the member's Board name and a picture of the car or a link to their 914World blog.
6. We will open a thread for to vote for COTM. Voting will last 10 calendar days! The car with the greatest number of votes wins COTM!
7. Once a car wins Car of the Month, that car is not eligible to win again until the next calendar year.
8. A member fortunate enough to have two or more stunning cars may win multiple times a year -it's really the car that wins COTM, not the member..[b]
9. These rules will be upheld at the discretion of the admin team. If you have a concern about a possible infraction, PM TC, [b]don't post publicly.

10. Phoenix 914-6gt will always finsh 2nd .

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Dec 16 2010, 03:35 PM
Post #39

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Dec 16 2010, 01:27 PM) *

Dave

Contest Rules

I have to agree... While Jon Bovey has nice cars, if you are going to have Tierra as a wife (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) and those great kids, you cannot be allowed to win contests too. You can have one or the other but not both. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Dec 16 2010, 04:53 PM
Post #40

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 16 2010, 01:35 PM) *

QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Dec 16 2010, 01:27 PM) *

Dave

Contest Rules

I have to agree... While Jon Bovey has nice cars, if you are going to have Tierra as a wife (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) and those great kids, you cannot be allowed to win contests too. You can have one or the other but not both. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Some guys get all the luck. Next go-round I think I'll nominate the new owner of his old gt just to see how it does.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 06:16 AM