Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car of the Month Contest
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
carr914
The Voting is Open and as usual we have a Great Group of Cars ( & owners) to choose from.

The Voting will conclude on Christmas Eve, so that the Winner first.gif gets an extra Present under the Tree santa_smiley.gif . It also gives me enough to time to forward the info onto the Admins to update the Homepage

The Winner gets their Teener featured on the Home Page for January & February and gets Notation in their Signature.

It is the job of the Nominee ( or the person that nominated the car ( or friends)) to gives us more info and pictures of the cars - It's your time to help get your car some votes. Let us know what year your car is, what mods have been done ( or is it bone stock), what exact color it is. When the Winner is on the HomePage we normally put 3 or 4 pictures in, so show us your car

carr914
#1 - thomasotten

Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
I guess I'll start the voting with a vote for ScooterD's car... #4 ScooterD
carr914
#2 - RacerChris

Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
As close to 914 perfection I have seen outside of Paul Sayegh's driveway... More #4 ScooterD
carr914
#3 - Computers4Kids

Click to view attachment
carr914
#4 - ScooterD

Click to view attachment
carr914
#5 - 7275914911

Click to view attachment
carr914
Rob, gets the Campaign Manager of the Year award for sneaking in while I'm posting pictures poke.gif
Click to view attachment

Not sure why i'm wasting my time adding extra pics....Thx Shoe and BJ??

3 cherry ass cars and The Race car....Jeez this is a tough crowd.

Truly not deserving till she gets a fresh coat of paint??
Click to view attachment
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(7275914911 @ Dec 14 2010, 06:49 AM) *

Sweet looking ride and a 2 time class champion SCCA racer. Getty dash is really nice too.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(carr914 @ Dec 13 2010, 11:46 PM) *

Rob, gets the Campaign Manager of the Year award for sneaking in while I'm posting pictures poke.gif

LOL! I was just doing my nightly patrol of 914World before bed and I saw your first post. It said to add pictures and details so I just went wild... Then, I discovered that you were still in the process of assembling your COTM balloting thread. Sorry TC. Besides, what the hell are you doing up at that time of the night? It was late HERE! WTF.gif

By the way, I hardly know Scott Detro (ScooterD). I put an ad for a set of brand new SSI stainless steel heat exchangers in the Classified section for like $900 a few years back thinking no one will buy them because the market hasn't reached the value where I can sell them. BOOM! Scott calls and wants me to check the flanges with a magnet. Yup, they are all stainless. A couple hours later, he shows up with cash in fist and within a span of a minute or two he is gone. A year later I saw the car at San Rafael and realized what an immaculate creation he had built...
carr914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 14 2010, 10:05 AM) *

LOL! Sorry TC. Besides, what the hell are you doing up at that time of the night? It was late HERE! WTF.gif

Just some Night Trolling. It was so Cold, I went to bed early then woke up in the middle of the night.

Plus I knew I was going to be busy today - work & Xmas Party
Jakeodoule
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 14 2010, 07:05 AM) *

LOL! I was just doing my nightly patrol of 914World before bed and I saw your first post. It said to add pictures and details so I just went wild... Then, I discovered that you were still in the process of assembling your COTM balloting thread. Sorry TC. Besides, what the hell are you doing up at that time of the night? It was late HERE! WTF.gif

By the way, I hardly know Scott Detro (ScooterD). I put an ad for a set of brand new SSI stainless steel heat exchangers in the Classified section for like $900 a few years back thinking no one will buy them because the market hasn't reached the value where I can sell them. BOOM! Scott calls and wants me to check the flanges with a magnet. Yup, they are all stainless. A couple hours later, he shows up with cash in fist and within a span of a minute or two he is gone. A year later I saw the car at San Rafael and realized what an immaculate creation he had built...

This is my car.....
I took this picture while the infamous Dr. Evil was driving.

jim_hoyland
All the 914's are terrific ! Here's a shout-out for Mark Blantons V8 conversion. The build was documented here. One of my favorite conversions... smile.gif
ChrisFoley
I'll start with some "ancient" history.
I bought my 1970 1.7L in 1984 for $2000 with just over 100K miles. I named it the Tangerine Dream after the German electronic rock group.
After owning the car for only a few weeks I found lots of questionable metal repairs and started down the path to a career in welding/fabrication.

This is what it looked like back in December '84, the first winter I owned the car:
IPB Image

After driving it for 2 years I parked it to work on the major rust issues (longs, hell hole, etc.)
I went into business in 1988 so the car sat under cover for a few more years.

The next time it saw pavement was October 1994, when I debuted it in SCCA ITB trim. I promptly wrecked it during qualifying. blink.gif sad.gif slap.gif unsure.gif
By the following spring it was ready for action again, and I competed in the full NARRC series in '95 and '96.

Here's what it looked like in '96 at Pocono, heading into The Devils Elbow:
IPB Image

and at Watkins Glen coming out of The Boot:
Click to view attachment

Some exciting moments at Lime Rock:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I spent most of '97 upgrading the car to Production specs and went to an SCCA Regional at The Glen for the shakedown. Here I am on the pregrid for the first practice session running in E Production.
Click to view attachment

In 1998 I won the NARRC regional championship in E Prod.

(more to come)
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Thanks to the 5 that have voted my way so far....
My vote went to ScooterD what a beautiful car!!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Jakeodoule @ Dec 14 2010, 07:43 AM) *

This is my car.....

Chill Bitch! I'll put up any picture I want! (Barrio apology) bye1.gif
Jakeodoule
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 14 2010, 10:58 AM) *

QUOTE(Jakeodoule @ Dec 14 2010, 07:43 AM) *

This is my car.....

Chill Bitch! I'll put up any picture I want! (Barrio apology) bye1.gif

Your right about being able to post any picture you want.
But I aint yours or anyone else's bitch. finger.gif
jim_hoyland
Great pics on the history of the Tangerine Dream---funny, I vaguely remember that group.
Lennies914
Mark's car is awesome and I'm sure he's bummed to be up against Scott for COTM. But Scott's car got my vote.
ChrisFoley
Every system in the Tangerine Dream has been modified.
The front suspension has camber boxes, coilovers on early 911 struts, 935 a-arms & Bilstein inserts.
The rear has Ohlins double adjustable shocks mounted on modified/reinforced trailing arms & 3" raised pickup points.
Ride height is about 3".
Wheels are Keizer 3pc or Cookie Cutters, 7x15. Tires are Hoosier bias ply slicks.
Engine displacement is 1832cc. The current engine produces about 180hp at 7500 rpm.

This is the custom fuel cell container I made. The cell holds less than 6.5gal.
Click to view attachment

The engine has lots of lightened components: ceramic lifters, Carillo rods, 7mm stemmed SS valves, and these rocker arms:
Click to view attachment

The Weber 40IDF carbs have major mods for increased airflow.
Click to view attachment

Custom aluminum ductwork for oil cooling and engine fresh air:
Click to view attachment

Dual brake master cyllinders:
Click to view attachment

I made my own brake rotor cooling ducts.
Click to view attachment

Custom dry sump oil tank in the passenger footwell; Rennshift:
Click to view attachment

The cockpit is strictly business, but the igntion still operates with the original key smile.gif:
Click to view attachment
computers4kids
QUOTE(hwgunner @ Dec 13 2010, 09:38 AM) *

Does this mean the value of my car, i mean Mark Blanton's car, is going to go up? Mark, that is no fair!!!!!!!!!

Jonathan, no worry...I'm continuing to improve your future investment...I've put new bumper tops on for you and a new rewrapped leather steering wheel. And the best part for you is...the price, never goes up.

Pretty tough competition, and quite a variety all in one pot--a little for just about everyone beer.gif . Thanks for the nomnation. popcorn[1].gif

The story began a couple summers ago while traveling through Oregon on vacation with my 5th wheel. Temporary insanity led me to purchase a pile of parts in Portland, that included an ugly, but fairly solid 75 914 with a 1.8. Finally after making a special trip back from CA to pick it all up, the transformation began.
IPB Image

Though I never put the car on a rotisserie, I might as well have since it was totally dismantled, stripped to bare metal and put back together with "anal" loving care--a major character flaw of mine. laugh.gif The car was painted Porsche Marathon Blue metallic, base coat, clear coat. Yes, I backdated the bumpers as well.
IPB Image

Deciding I needed some more passing power, while restoring the car, I also did an SBC conversion. The engine was crate new with roller rockers and vortec heads coupled with a 901 that I regarded in one of the Dr's binge clinics--it will put a grin on your face! The whole process took about a year and a half and has been a daily driver (OK...weekend driver) ever since then making it to two of the latest WCRs. I love to take it to Pismo Beach CA and drive the beautiful coastal roads in the summer time.

What I'm most proud of in this project car, is I did everything myself with the help of the World of course, except the final spray job. I love 914s!

IPB Image
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Click to view attachment
Just for fun, here is the dyno run a couple years ago when I just got the car running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0z5TV72aFo
arkitect
Great looking cars and alot of work in them all. Don't know exactly how this works but seems like there should be separate categories 1. Stock 2. Modified 3. AX

Dave
hot_shoe914
I think this car should be DQ'ed(even though it is awesome and beautiful) for having a DRINK HOLDER!!! slap.gif

Click to view attachment
AndyB
QUOTE(arkitect @ Dec 14 2010, 11:24 PM) *

Great looking cars and alot of work in them all. Don't know exactly how this works but seems like there should be separate categories 1. Stock 2. Modified 3. AX

Dave

agree.gif It should also include actual real time forum membership. What have they done to help others on the forum? COTM IMHO should not just be about who has the nicest looking car or that is "immaculate" it should be about the people and how they contribute to the members. COTM should be about the car and the people not just the car. And that's my $.02
ChrisFoley

... seems like there should be separate categories 1. Stock 2. Modified 3. AX

We'd need at least 4 categories then. My car is built for road racing, not autocross. beer.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(abayer1969 @ Dec 15 2010, 02:25 AM) *

Dave

agree.gif It should also include actual real time forum membership. What have they done to help others on the forum? COTM IMHO should not just be about who has the nicest looking car or that is "immaculate" it should be about the people and how they contribute to the members. COTM should be about the car and the people not just the car. And that's my $.02

This is not a discussion forum. This is for COTM. Here's the rules.

Contest Rules

1. For the purpose of this contest, a "914" is defined as a car that started life and still retains the general shape and characteristics of a 914. (see previous postings for details)
2. Also, to be eligible for nomination, the car must be owned by an 914World Member. Because we want to preserve these pictures in the thread, please post the pictures here or link to an existing 914world thread/blog image. Do not link to pictures on external sites or photo hosting services.
3. The Admin team will open a separate thread for nominations before the beginning of the month. All COTM nominations must be "seconded" by another member. Once five COTM nominations that are seconded, nominations will be closed.
4. Any active (defined as at least 5 posts in the last month) 914World member may nominate any active member. The nomination must include the member's Board name and a picture of the car or a link to their 914World blog.
5. No self-nominations, please.
6. We will open a thread for to vote for COTM. Voting will last 10 calendar days! The car with the greatest number of votes wins COTM!
7. Once a car wins Car of the Month, that car is not eligible to win again until the next calendar year.
8. A member fortunate enough to have two or more stunning cars may win multiple times a year -it's really the car that wins COTM, not the member..[b]
9. These rules will be upheld at the discretion of the admin team. If you have a concern about a possible infraction, PM TC, [b]don't post publicly.

Peace smile.gif
carr914
Thanks Rick
VaccaRabite
Gotta vote for Racer Chris and the Tangerine Dream. Seeing that car live and in the flesh starts to redefine a 914 - especially since it still looks like a 914.

Zach
computers4kids
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Dec 14 2010, 08:37 PM) *

I think this car should be DQ'ed(even though it is awesome and beautiful) for having a DRINK HOLDER!!! slap.gif

I resemble that remark smile.gif

Now, close your eyes and imagine you are driving your 110 hp 914 drinking a cup of coffee. You decide to nail the pedal and run through the gears.

OK
Now, imagine you're in a v8teener with triple the hp...where do you think your coffee is now. happy11.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Dec 15 2010, 06:37 AM) *

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Dec 14 2010, 08:37 PM) *

I resemble that remark smile.gif

Now, close your eyes and imagine you are driving your 110 hp 914 drinking a cup of coffee. You decide to nail the pedal and run through the gears.

OK
Now, imagine your in a v8teener with triple the hp...where do you think your coffee is now. happy11.gif

Up through the roof and back on the Boulevard? blink.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Dec 15 2010, 08:37 AM) *

LOL, I don't think all my teeners put together produce 110HP, I think I need some upgrades!
zx-niner
Having seen Mark's V8 conversion up close after following his build thread left me in awe. The result is a car that is, what's better, gorgeous or sumptuous? It's both.

I may be partial, though, since I also have both a cupholder and A/C in my 914!
ChrisFoley
Along the way to 3 regional championships and 3 national race wins I've learned a lot about building race cars and race engines.
A good part of the learning was painful. Here's a sampling of damage I've incurred over the years, some of it all my own doing and some of it I had "help".

Keeping the oil inside the engine is always better:
Click to view attachment

A broken valve spring quickly leads to catastrophic failure:
Click to view attachment

There isn't room for 3 cars all trying to enter a turn at once:
Click to view attachment

The crash that caused this damage came one week after my first National Runoffs.
I went off track at 100mph trying to avoid a boneheaded Minicooper driver who was only going about 70mph and cut in front of me.
Click to view attachment

Same crash:
Click to view attachment

Same crash:
Click to view attachment

Same crash. This led me to develop my raised rear pickup kit.
Click to view attachment

This damage occurred during 2005 Runoffs Qualifying as I was passing a Miata driver who thought he was the only one on track:
Click to view attachment

I had a lot of help repairing the car and was able to start the race, only to be hit from behind in the second turn. I retired without completing a lap. sad.gif
Click to view attachment

This is the result of my most recent crash in 2009, when a parked Austin Healey ran into the side of my car. unsure.gif
Click to view attachment

I mean, I lost control of my car on wet grass during an off-track excursion and slid into a broken race car that had been parked in a "safe" location. wacko.gif
Click to view attachment
ChrisFoley
Of course the agony of defeat needs some perspective to show that it was all worthwhile. I've raced against many different drivers and vehicles, and come out on top quite a few times. Some of my best results were in the rain.

One of my favorite competitors from '98-99 in E Prod
Click to view attachment

Watkins Glen National '05 - The silver MGB crashed in the Toe of the Boot while we were having a good race for 5th.
Click to view attachment

NHIS National '05 - Pace lap
Click to view attachment

NHIS National '05 - Heading into turn 3 with Tom Burdge and Ed Givler in the background.
Click to view attachment

LRP National '05 - Heading onto No-name Straight.
Click to view attachment

Summit Point '05 - Qualifying
Click to view attachment

LRP Regional '03 - Started from pole.
Click to view attachment

LRP National '03 - From dead last, I passed former national champion Harold Flescher and Tom Burdge on the way to a very satisfying win in the rain.
Click to view attachment

LRP National '09 - Wet qualifying put me on the outside front row for the race.
Click to view attachment

LRP National '09 - Race start, heading into Big Bend.
Click to view attachment

LRP Regional '09 - This race was 2 months after my crash in the National.
Click to view attachment

NHIS Regional '09 - In my garage after the first of two wins that weekend, only 4 weeks after my crash at the LRP National.
Click to view attachment
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 15 2010, 05:41 AM) *

Dave

Contest Rules

1. For the purpose of this contest, a "914" is defined as a car that started life and still retains the general shape and characteristics of a 914. (see previous postings for details)
2. Also, to be eligible for nomination, the car must be owned by an 914World Member. Because we want to preserve these pictures in the thread, please post the pictures here or link to an existing 914world thread/blog image. Do not link to pictures on external sites or photo hosting services.
3. The Admin team will open a separate thread for nominations before the beginning of the month. All COTM nominations must be "seconded" by another member. Once five COTM nominations that are seconded, nominations will be closed.
4. Any active (defined as at least 5 posts in the last month) 914World member may nominate any active member. The nomination must include the member's Board name and a picture of the car or a link to their 914World blog.
6. We will open a thread for to vote for COTM. Voting will last 10 calendar days! The car with the greatest number of votes wins COTM!
7. Once a car wins Car of the Month, that car is not eligible to win again until the next calendar year.
8. A member fortunate enough to have two or more stunning cars may win multiple times a year -it's really the car that wins COTM, not the member..[b]
9. These rules will be upheld at the discretion of the admin team. If you have a concern about a possible infraction, PM TC, [b]don't post publicly.

10. Phoenix 914-6gt will always finsh 2nd .

Peace smile.gif

blink.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Dec 16 2010, 01:27 PM) *

Dave

Contest Rules

Peace smile.gif

blink.gif

I have to agree... While Jon Bovey has nice cars, if you are going to have Tierra as a wife drooley.gif and those great kids, you cannot be allowed to win contests too. You can have one or the other but not both. lol-2.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 16 2010, 01:35 PM) *

Dave

Contest Rules

Peace smile.gif

blink.gif

I have to agree... While Jon Bovey has nice cars, if you are going to have Tierra as a wife drooley.gif and those great kids, you cannot be allowed to win contests too. You can have one or the other but not both. lol-2.gif

agree.gif Some guys get all the luck. Next go-round I think I'll nominate the new owner of his old gt just to see how it does.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Dec 16 2010, 08:06 AM) *

Along the way to 3 regional championships and 3 national race wins I've learned a lot about building race cars and race engines.
A good part of the learning was painful. Here's a sampling of damage I've incurred over the years, some of it all my own doing and some of it I had "help".

Keeping the oil inside the engine is always better:
Click to view attachment

A broken valve spring quickly leads to catastrophic failure:
Click to view attachment

There isn't room for 3 cars all trying to enter a turn at once:
Click to view attachment

The crash that caused this damage came one week after my first National Runoffs.
I went off track at 100mph trying to avoid a boneheaded Minicooper driver who was only going about 70mph and cut in front of me.
Click to view attachment

Same crash:
Click to view attachment

Same crash:
Click to view attachment

Same crash. This led me to develop my raised rear pickup kit.
Click to view attachment

This damage occurred during 2005 Runoffs Qualifying as I was passing a Miata driver who thought he was the only one on track:
Click to view attachment

I had a lot of help repairing the car and was able to start the race, only to be hit from behind in the second turn. I retired without completing a lap. sad.gif
Click to view attachment

This is the result of my most recent crash in 2009, when a parked Austin Healey ran into the side of my car. unsure.gif
Click to view attachment

I mean, I lost control of my car on wet grass during an off-track excursion and slid into a broken race car that had been parked in a "safe" location. wacko.gif
Click to view attachment

I guess cars are like electrical wires......they don't work so well when you let the smoke out. biggrin.gif

Great history Chris. You're growing the legend of the 914 every day. Thanks for all you do for our community of funny little cars.

Once again we have an amazing selection of cars to vote on. Each are winners in their own right. It's never an easy decision to vote for COTM.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Dec 16 2010, 02:53 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 16 2010, 01:35 PM) *

Dave

Contest Rules

Peace smile.gif

blink.gif

agree.gif Some guys get all the luck. Next go-round I think I'll nominate the new owner of his old gt just to see how it does.

Wish I knew who it was confused24.gif Last I knew it sold again and now I'm waiting for it to surface. sad.gif
Michael N
Computers4kids putting down some V8 powered rubber on the Streets of Willows at WCR 2009.

Click to view attachment
sean_v8_914
Chris Foley is my hero! I love watching the evolution of this car. You have inspired patr of the evolution of the 10jreen (same color!)
Mark's V8 is a close second only because Chris' tangerine dream is a giant slayer like the 10jreen.
V8s are near and dear to my heart (sean v8 914) but racing is really where i get happy
not a big fan of 5 lug four bangers
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Dec 17 2010, 07:44 AM) *

Chris Foley is my hero! I love watching the evolution of this car. You have inspired patr of the evolution of the 10jreen (same color!)

agree.gif Its impressive and inspirational to see what Chris has done with his racer....

mad.gif what's wrong with /4s?
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(RobW @ Dec 17 2010, 09:26 AM) *

QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Dec 17 2010, 07:44 AM) *

agree.gif Its impressive and inspirational to see what Chris has done with his racer....

mad.gif what's wrong with /4s?

agree.gif

I HAD to vote for Chris because he is doing what I dream of doing with a 914. I love these little cars and he is a great example of what can be done if you stick with it.
ConeDodger
While ScooterD seems to be running away with it, I have to say that I have seen Computers4Kids car in person and followed the paint restoration on ThomasOttens car with great interest. These are both incredibly nice cars. Chris is up against the cultural mindset that this is for nice cars and doing quite well... This is one of the best fields of COTM candidates I can remember!
Lou W
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 18 2010, 11:36 AM) *

While ScooterD seems to be running away with it, I have to say that I have seen Computers4Kids car in person and followed the paint restoration on ThomasOttens car with great interest. These are both incredibly nice cars. Chris is up against the cultural mindset that this is for nice cars and doing quite well... This is one of the best fields of COTM candidates I can remember!

agree.gif Pretty tough decision, they all are so nice. smile.gif
Rleog
I have to go with the guy who's livin' the dream; one of the foremost developers of the 914 craft, and a guy who's still proving its worth on the track.

Best of luck, Chris.
carr914
Just a couple of days left to Vote
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.