Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> IT'S ALIVE, 18 Months and bang
tracks914
post Apr 24 2004, 03:50 PM
Post #1

Canadian Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 153
Region Association: None

The Challenge:

Take a car that you have never driven (except for 10 mintue test drive) or worked on or even barely seen before...
Completely tear down every nut and bolt on car to bare body!
Sandy blast, repaint, reassemble exterior and interior.
Completely tear down engine
Clean, rebuild, reassemble engine (tricky part because old wiring was a mess, fuel pump was running off coil, cold start valve running all the time, temp sensors were disconnected, fuses blown, hoses missing....you get the point)
Install engine
Install all new hoses and fuel lines (harder than it sounds)
All done in 17 months 22 days

and then......and then....

The Result:

pour gasoline into tank

get two fire extingushers just in case....

install battery

turn key......and then....and then....

wait for fuel pump to prime and shut off.....done

depress clutch (even if car is on axle stands)

turn key one more notch......nothing.....try again....nothing...back key off to off position and try again....nothing

crawl under car to look at starter, ah ha. solinoid wire was off.

get into car and turn key

It didn't take but 1 1/2 seconds and bang bang, as in chitty chitty, and it was running!:rockin: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/givemebeer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

It's a little noisey but I still have to time it and test run it and bring it up to temp but for now....IT"S ALIVE!!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/givemebeer.gif)
I have one beer left in the case and I am now going to celebrate. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

Thanks to all on this site who have helped me along the way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) I salute you! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Apr 24 2004, 03:54 PM
Post #2

that's what I do!

Group: Members
Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Party on dude!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Curvie Roadlover
post Apr 24 2004, 03:58 PM
Post #3

Two trunks are better than one!

Member No.: 42

I felt all warm and fuzzy reading your post (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Apr 24 2004, 04:42 PM
Post #4

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)

Congrats!!!!
+Quote Post
markb
post Apr 24 2004, 04:48 PM
Post #5

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 24 2004, 02:42 PM)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Apr 24 2004, 04:53 PM
Post #6

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
trojanhorsepower
post Apr 24 2004, 04:57 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,179

Man you rock! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

I am in the same boat (minus the ten minute test drive), and I have not even finished taking mine apart (almost though).

Did you blast with sand or some other media? I will be at this point soon and for financial reasons I see blasting as my only option. Did you look into any of the less conventional media like soda or dry ice?

Again congrats! I can only imagine what it is like to sit in a teener with an actual seat, and everything else no less. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

-Pete
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Apr 24 2004, 05:09 PM
Post #8

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(Curvie Roadlover @ Apr 24 2004, 02:58 PM)
fuzzy readung

eewh (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
+Quote Post
tracks914
post Apr 24 2004, 07:17 PM
Post #9

Canadian Member

QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Apr 24 2004, 02:57 PM)
Did you blast with sand or some other media? I will be at this point soon and for financial reasons I see blasting as my only option. Did you look into any of the less conventional media like soda or dry ice?

Glass beaded on most of it but that only took the crappy paint off where someone had done work before. The two rear quarter panels had original paint and 3 other colours on it. They had to be sanded down to the first coat then I beaded the rest. (yes it was alot of work)
+Quote Post
tracks914
post Apr 24 2004, 07:22 PM
Post #10

Canadian Member

QUOTE(rich 918-S @ Apr 24 2004, 02:53 PM)

What do you want a picture of? It's still up on the axle stands, still has the crappy chrome moon rims on it (my Mahles are blasted but not yet clear coated and I have to buy new tirees for them), it hasn't been polished since it was painted, no mirrors on it yet and the top needs repainting.
Other than that it's ready to go and I will post pictures tomorrow. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Tx
Doug
+Quote Post
Ray Warren
post Apr 24 2004, 07:36 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 1,214

Congrats Doug.
It sure is a nice feeling the first time.
+Quote Post
Curvie Roadlover
post Apr 24 2004, 09:47 PM
Post #12

Two trunks are better than one!

Member No.: 42

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 24 2004, 03:09 PM)
QUOTE(Curvie Roadlover @ Apr 24 2004, 02:58 PM)
fuzzy readung

eewh (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

I corrected it for you, Andy :finger2:
+Quote Post
Gint
post Apr 24 2004, 10:52 PM
Post #13

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

'grats! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post Apr 24 2004, 11:25 PM
Post #14

Best friends

Member No.: 231
Region Association: Southwest Region

Congratulations! It's such a wonderful thing when it work like this. It's worth all the hard work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
shoguneagle
post Apr 25 2004, 01:51 PM
Post #15

shoguneagle

Member No.: 84

That will be the best beer you will ever drink!!! Excellent job. Love it when a project comes to a satisfactory conclusion. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

Steve Hurt
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 05:12 PM