Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> first oil change/best oil type, what is the best type of engine oil for a 73 1.7
ezbngreen914
post Dec 15 2010, 08:33 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,472
Region Association: South East States

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I couldn't find it. I just got my first Porsche last week (73 914 1.7). I want to go ahead and change the oil to be on the safe side. I'm looking for some recomendations for oil types/brands. should I use "racing oil" with zddp? any info would be help full.

Thanks,

A new 914 owner
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
'73-914kid
post Dec 15 2010, 08:36 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,714
Region Association: Southern California

Up to this point, I think the best oil for our motors is Brad Penn 20W-50 racing oil. It has the adequate ZDDP, and wear characteristics for air cooled engines. Others know more that I do, but I've always used Brad Penn per Jake Raby's suggestion.
+Quote Post
914itis
post Dec 15 2010, 09:06 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,256
Region Association: North East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

where you switch the attention from your wife to your teener.

I am on my first oil change as well and I used the brad Penn also suggested by the same member mentioned
+Quote Post
markb
post Dec 15 2010, 09:09 PM
Post #4

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

I agree with the Brad Penn 20W-50
+Quote Post
ezbngreen914
post Dec 15 2010, 11:02 PM
Post #5

QUOTE('73-914kid @ Dec 15 2010, 08:36 PM) *

Up to this point, I think the best oil for our motors is Brad Penn 20W-50 racing oil. It has the adequate ZDDP, and wear characteristics for air cooled engines. Others know more that I do, but I've always used Brad Penn per Jake Raby's suggestion.

Thanks for the info. I actually went to the same small town highschool as Jake Raby. Maybe he'll give me a discount on an engine (hopefully a long time from now).
+Quote Post
ezbngreen914
post Dec 15 2010, 11:11 PM
Post #6

Thanks for the info everyone. I've been daydreaming in magazines and porsche books for the last 17 years about getting a 914 and now that I've got one I realize I should have read a couple of technical manuals while I was at it. Its good to know that there are people further down the path that are willing to help.
+Quote Post
ezbngreen914
post Dec 15 2010, 11:27 PM
Post #7

Attached Image
+Quote Post
john grier
post Dec 16 2010, 06:04 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 2,265

Make sure the oil is green!
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Dec 16 2010, 07:27 PM
Post #9

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

You're in for a fun ride!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
realred914
post Dec 17 2010, 11:12 AM
Post #10

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,541
Region Association: None

brad peen racing oil has enough zddp in it, you can also find other oils with high amounts of zinc, or ass you own using stp red bottle four cylinder oil treatment. add this stp to your regular oil and the zddp level will be restored. either way be sure your motor gets plenty of zddp, not found in the newer oils.

amazing photo, is that some special process to get the look?
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Dec 17 2010, 03:28 PM
Post #11

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

[quote name='realred914' date='Dec 17 2010, 09:12 AM' post='1406635'

[/quote]

.....Photo shop maybe ?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
ezbngreen914
post Dec 17 2010, 05:13 PM
Post #12

Attached Image
QUOTE(realred914 @ Dec 17 2010, 11:12 AM) *

brad peen racing oil has enough zddp in it, you can also find other oils with high amounts of zinc, or ass you own using stp red bottle four cylinder oil treatment. add this stp to your regular oil and the zddp level will be restored. either way be sure your motor gets plenty of zddp, not found in the newer oils.

Thanks for the info. and thanks on the photo as well. Its a process called HDR (High Dynamic Resolution) I take 3 photos from a tripod (one under exposed, one normally exposed, and one over exposed) and I have a computer program (photomax) that combines the 3 photos. There are some real cool examples on flickr or google HDR photos for what I'm sure will be a better explanation. Heres another one of my 914.
+Quote Post
913B
post Dec 17 2010, 06:22 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 3,983
Region Association: None

Where do you get them ? Local FLAPS ? I found them for $7/qt at Amazon. Is that about the right price ?

Sorry about the slight hi-jack. 5 qts enough ?

Oh and Welcome to the Club !!!!
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Dec 17 2010, 06:26 PM
Post #14

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Dec 17 2010, 04:22 PM) *

Where do you get them ? Local FLAPS ? I found them for $7/qt at Amazon. Is that about the right price ?

You can get Brad Penn through Original Customs. McMark on the site here...
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Dec 17 2010, 10:07 PM
Post #15

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095

QUOTE(ezbngreen914 @ Dec 15 2010, 10:02 PM) *

Thanks for the info. I actually went to the same small town highschool as Jake Raby. Maybe he'll give me a discount on an engine (hopefully a long time from now).

Really? Do I know you? Small world!

Stick with Brad Penn...

I have a tremendous amount of people wanting to buy our oil, thats probably still a year away from retail sales.. All our engines are and have been running it with great success.
+Quote Post
914itis
post Dec 17 2010, 10:26 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,256
Region Association: North East States

I was able to locate a dealer not to far from me. you can try to do the same. here is the link http://locator.bradpennracing.com/Default.aspx

it was about $72 a case
+Quote Post
ezbngreen914
post Dec 17 2010, 11:40 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Dec 17 2010, 10:07 PM) *

Stick with Brad Penn...

I have a tremendous amount of people wanting to buy our oil, thats probably still a year away from retail sales.. All our engines are and have been running it with great success.

Hey Jake, You probably don't know me (Ben Slack), I was 3 or 4 years younger. I was actually back in town over the holidays at a get together proudly talking about how I had finally gotten the 914 that I have wanted since I was 15 and of course your name came up right away from some old class mates of yours (Alan R. and Jesse S.). I also had to get the fuel pump replace while in W.C. and Bart at Roadspeed Garage brought up your name in high regard. I have also had the honor of driving John E's (also a local) 912e with one of your engines. I'm having a great time getting to know my 1.7 stock motor but at some point I'm sure I'll want to get in line for a Raby Motor (2270 SR looks pretty awesome!). Thanks for all you do for these cars. PS. you should see if Xavier Roberts will let you build a test track in his new front yard (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif). Hope all is well.
+Quote Post
ezbngreen914
post Dec 17 2010, 11:44 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(ppetion @ Dec 17 2010, 10:26 PM) *

I was able to locate a dealer not to far from me. you can try to do the same. here is the link http://locator.bradpennracing.com/Default.aspx

it was about $72 a case

Thanks, Looks like there are two in Atlanta. I'm headed that way tomorrow so maybe I'm in luck.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Dec 18 2010, 09:50 AM
Post #19

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095

QUOTE(ezbngreen914 @ Dec 17 2010, 10:40 PM) *

Stick with Brad Penn...

Hey Jake, You probably don't know me (Ben Slack), I was 3 or 4 years younger. I was actually back in town over the holidays at a get together proudly talking about how I had finally gotten the 914 that I have wanted since I was 15 and of course your name came up right away from some old class mates of yours (Alan R. and Jesse S.). I also had to get the fuel pump replace while in W.C. and Bart at Roadspeed Garage brought up your name in high regard. I have also had the honor of driving John E's (also a local) 912e with one of your engines. I'm having a great time getting to know my 1.7 stock motor but at some point I'm sure I'll want to get in line for a Raby Motor (2270 SR looks pretty awesome!). Thanks for all you do for these cars. PS. you should see if Xavier Roberts will let you build a test track in his new front yard (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif). Hope all is well.

WOW.. Now that is odd!! If that Jesse S is Jesse Steele, I got my second VW from his Dad, a 65 Single Cab over 25 years ago! John's 912E runs really well, especially to be an older 2056 combo.

Next time you are back hom you are welcome to drop by the compound.. Just give me a call a couple of days in advance..
+Quote Post
ezbngreen914
post Dec 18 2010, 03:35 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Dec 18 2010, 09:50 AM) *

QUOTE(ezbngreen914 @ Dec 17 2010, 10:40 PM) *

Stick with Brad Penn...

WOW.. Now that is odd!! If that Jesse S is Jesse Steele, I got my second VW from his Dad, a 65 Single Cab over 25 years ago! John's 912E runs really well, especially to be an older 2056 combo.

Next time you are back hom you are welcome to drop by the compound.. Just give me a call a couple of days in advance..

Thats the one. Pretty Cool. I think I remember that single cab from my childhood. I would love to stop by sometime. I'll be sure to give you plenty of notice so we can pick a good time. Why do I have the feeling that this is a slippery slope with lots of HP at the bottom : ). I hope you and yours have a Happy Holidays.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 02:47 PM