Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Any body doing this ? 914 w/Hayabusa motor . ?, pro's con's , support or poke holes. Wtb : your 2 cents
gothspeed
post Dec 16 2010, 08:41 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,019
Region Association: None

An S2000 motor would be even more awesome (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)!! 240hp bone stock!! Kennedy makes the adapter plate. The only thing to make sure of is the rotation of the crank.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Dec 16 2010, 09:45 PM
Post #22

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Dec 16 2010, 05:43 PM) *

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Dec 16 2010, 08:37 PM) *

Or if you want super high HP and a custom install. Go this route... T.M.C. (Too Much Custom) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

This is an advantage how? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

The added weight in the rear helps with traction and pulling wheelies (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Dec 17 2010, 11:23 PM
Post #23

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Dec 16 2010, 06:41 PM) *

An S2000 motor would be even more awesome (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)!! 240hp bone stock!! Kennedy makes the adapter plate. The only thing to make sure of is the rotation of the crank.

Don't they have a peaky minimal low-RPM torque powerband as well?

As conversions go, a compact turbo like a Subie sounds good to me. Although I am not an engine swap kinda guy at this point. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
mcogan10
post May 5 2014, 05:10 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 17,314

I just bought a 1972 with the intent of fitting it with a busa or similar cycle motor to it. If anyone has had similar thoughts or experiments I would love to hear about it.
I'm pretty certain I'll have to do it with jackshaft and sproket and connect right to the wheels through the bike tranny. If I try direct to the transmission I'm pretty should that would blow it in short order.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post May 6 2014, 08:23 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 2,922

I really like the audi 1.8T (Like Mike Bellis's) or the WRX turbo motor in these cars. I bet the larger 4 cylinder turbo makes a great combo...
+Quote Post
BKLA
post May 6 2014, 11:30 AM
Post #26

Really old member

Member No.: 4,590
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(mcogan10 @ May 5 2014, 04:10 PM) *

I just bought a 1972 with the intent of fitting it with a busa or similar cycle motor to it. If anyone has had similar thoughts or experiments I would love to hear about it.
I'm pretty certain I'll have to do it with jackshaft and sproket and connect right to the wheels through the bike tranny. If I try direct to the transmission I'm pretty should that would blow it in short order.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm doing a x19 gsxr 1000 build in the "sandbox". That might help some as to how I am doing a similar install. Its a chain drive to a LSD utilizing a Stohr sports racer diff, carrier, bearings and gear. No reverse - but I could install a reverse using a "ring gear" and a starter motor. (See the Zcars website in england for further info.) Since the x19 is an old racer, it will only have forward gears as it will be a track day car. Be aware tho, starting and moving a 1900lbs street car with the very low mass clutch & flywheel of the 'busa or Gixxer isn't going to be optimal.

With that said, for the 914 you could use a simple steel subframe that spans from the rear and front mounts that would carry the engine and adjustable differential (chain adjustment). The Stohr diff worked for me as it uses the readily available VW CV joints. However, the diff aren't cheap nor easy to find. (I looked for a while for a formula SAE Diff in stock, before stumbling on a new Stohr diff on ebay.

Be aware that the 914 is heavier than an x19... and the x19 was designed for a water-cooled motor. You may be able to place a radiator with fans on a GT modified engine cover and get enough cooling, but that might be a stretch...

Have fun and just do it!
+Quote Post
veekry9
post May 17 2014, 05:37 PM
Post #27

OldMember

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 16,025
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 16 2010, 09:05 PM) *

There are quite a few motorcycle engine'd Lotus 7 replica's/ one offs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD-VtJKJkKU

DaxRush
Duncan Cowper's vids ->
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTzQd_mqm2k

Power/Weight.
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post May 17 2014, 05:41 PM
Post #28

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Put it in a Smart car... then drift it till you puke! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post May 18 2014, 01:06 PM
Post #29

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ May 6 2014, 07:23 AM) *

I really like the audi 1.8T (Like Mike Bellis's) or the WRX turbo motor in these cars. I bet the larger 4 cylinder turbo makes a great combo...

What makes my conversion work is the tune. Using a factory ECU tuned for a big turbo and methanol is awesome. It runs like a mild mannered Audi around town. If you put your foot into it, the motor comes alive and is a blast to drive. Once I get the drivetrain relocated in the chassis, the car will be mechanically perfect.

Nothing wrong with aftermarket ECU's. But I don't think they have the driveability or computing power of a factory ECU. The aftermarket can be tuned to give similar power results but still won't drive as well. I have no flt spots, no jerkyness, perfect idle, near perfect AF mixture, easy cold weather starting, and on and on. I think the Bosch Motronic 7.5 I'm running could be adapted to any engine if you have a good tuner.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 19 2014, 10:17 AM
Post #30

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Mike,

that would take a lot of money for tuning... I think that a honda ECU would be much better for that... Almost no money to get into the ECU and tune it and WAY WAY more tuners out there. But I agree a factory ECU makes things really really nice.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 05:35 PM