Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Matching Numbers?
Torque
post Dec 19 2010, 02:37 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,934

I am looking to purchase a '73 914 2.0 with an early vin# for its year, but the engine number is from the later half of the model year. The owner doesn't have a CoA nor any other paperwork that shows it's the original engine. Is it safe to assume it's probably not numbers matching or is this type of thing commonly seen?

Thanks in advance.

John
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
azbill
post Dec 19 2010, 06:38 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,403
Region Association: Southwest Region

Its not a numbers matching. But if it is running and needs little buy it and enjoy it. There are a lot of 914 out there with updated engines. Not worth as much as a numbers matching one.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Dec 19 2010, 08:02 PM
Post #3

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Torque @ Dec 19 2010, 12:37 PM) *

I am looking to purchase a '73 914 2.0 with an early vin# for its year, but the engine number is from the later half of the model year. The owner doesn't have a CoA nor any other paperwork that shows it's the original engine. Is it safe to assume it's probably not numbers matching or is this type of thing commonly seen?

Thanks in advance.

John

It depends on the VIN & the GA case # you're talking about, because they won't necessarily track in sync. You can call PCNA's 800# & COAs/Customer Care, & explain that you're looking to buy this one & give them the VIN & GA# & ask them to confirm/not that they match.

After that, it's up to you whether or not to buy if it's not nos. matching.

BTW - many had engine change-outs over the 37+ years due to blown, cracked, damaged, or excessively worn cases, etc.

and ......
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
quadracerx
post Dec 19 2010, 10:30 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 6,366
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Ok...so now im curious...I know the VIN Number is on the windshield pillar on my 76 Red Car....but not sure where the engine case number is located? Is it in the same spot for all 914s?

I would like to check to see if the numbers match on my car..

Thanks again...

Steve
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 08:18 PM