Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Matching Numbers?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Torque
I am looking to purchase a '73 914 2.0 with an early vin# for its year, but the engine number is from the later half of the model year. The owner doesn't have a CoA nor any other paperwork that shows it's the original engine. Is it safe to assume it's probably not numbers matching or is this type of thing commonly seen?

Thanks in advance.

John
azbill
Its not a numbers matching. But if it is running and needs little buy it and enjoy it. There are a lot of 914 out there with updated engines. Not worth as much as a numbers matching one.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Torque @ Dec 19 2010, 12:37 PM) *

I am looking to purchase a '73 914 2.0 with an early vin# for its year, but the engine number is from the later half of the model year. The owner doesn't have a CoA nor any other paperwork that shows it's the original engine. Is it safe to assume it's probably not numbers matching or is this type of thing commonly seen?

Thanks in advance.

John

It depends on the VIN & the GA case # you're talking about, because they won't necessarily track in sync. You can call PCNA's 800# & COAs/Customer Care, & explain that you're looking to buy this one & give them the VIN & GA# & ask them to confirm/not that they match.

After that, it's up to you whether or not to buy if it's not nos. matching.

BTW - many had engine change-outs over the 37+ years due to blown, cracked, damaged, or excessively worn cases, etc.

and ......
welcome.png
quadracerx
Ok...so now im curious...I know the VIN Number is on the windshield pillar on my 76 Red Car....but not sure where the engine case number is located? Is it in the same spot for all 914s?

I would like to check to see if the numbers match on my car..

Thanks again...

Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.