Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Unexpected fix for engine and trans oil leaks!, And I wasn't even trying...
Nozzle
post Dec 24 2010, 09:12 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,725
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Well folks here's my Christmas present to all the good folks with 914s who have as little experience with these charming machines as I do. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/santa_smiley.gif)

In preparation for winter storage last month I changed the oil and trans fluid with Castrol 20/50 and standard weight dino oil in the trans based on recommendations on this forum. I don't know what brand/weight was in the engine from the previous owner but the trans leaks were blue Swepco which agrees with PO service records. At any rate here's the interesting part. I got out my new torque wrench and torqued the two engine drain bolts and trans bolts according to factory specs (all different BTW) and took the car for a standard leak-check run. When I got home as you can probably guess, all of my two engine and various trans leaks were gone! Even after checking the next morning, the kitty litter under the car was dry as a bone. Amazing.

Who could've known that using the factory spec fluids and torque settings could be the right thing for me to do..? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

As an interesting datapoint, if the trans shifting action or feel has changed after switching from Swepco to the standard stuff I can't perceive it.

At any rate have a great holiday everyone and thanks for all the helpful thoughts! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 02:18 PM