Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unexpected fix for engine and trans oil leaks!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nozzle
Well folks here's my Christmas present to all the good folks with 914s who have as little experience with these charming machines as I do. santa_smiley.gif

In preparation for winter storage last month I changed the oil and trans fluid with Castrol 20/50 and standard weight dino oil in the trans based on recommendations on this forum. I don't know what brand/weight was in the engine from the previous owner but the trans leaks were blue Swepco which agrees with PO service records. At any rate here's the interesting part. I got out my new torque wrench and torqued the two engine drain bolts and trans bolts according to factory specs (all different BTW) and took the car for a standard leak-check run. When I got home as you can probably guess, all of my two engine and various trans leaks were gone! Even after checking the next morning, the kitty litter under the car was dry as a bone. Amazing.

Who could've known that using the factory spec fluids and torque settings could be the right thing for me to do..? cheer.gif

As an interesting datapoint, if the trans shifting action or feel has changed after switching from Swepco to the standard stuff I can't perceive it.

At any rate have a great holiday everyone and thanks for all the helpful thoughts! beerchug.gif
Tom
I guess you missed this thread http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;hl=brad+pennd.
I also used 20W50 Castrol when I first got my 914 in 2005 because I used it in my motorcycles in the 70's with good results. Oils change and this oil is no longer good for our air cooled engines.
Tom
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(Tom @ Dec 24 2010, 09:45 AM) *

I guess you missed this thread http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;hl=brad+pennd.
I also used 20W50 Castrol when I first got my 914 in 2005 because I used it in my motorcycles in the 70's with good results. Oils change and this oil is no longer good for our air cooled engines.
Tom

The Newest Castrol Syntec 20/50 that says in fine yellow print "for classic cars" and then on the back says in even finer print "for flat tappet engines","necessary zinc","not for caytalitic converters", or Car made after_____.

Shocked me as Brad Penn had been the only oil I could fine that had zinc for flat tappet engines, but the Castrol Syntec 20/50 "classic cars" now has zinc.. just found out myself and observed this week..

And it is a pure sythentic, not a blend..
Dr Evil
smile.gif
Bartlett 914
I had similar experience. I installed a low mileage motor and transmission and took it for a long trip. I noticed the transmission was leaking pretty bad. I stopped and had the transmission fluid changed. I was worried it was running low which it wasn't. The old oil looked really bad. After the change, no leaks. I have put 10k on the car since and still no leaks. The oil was not leaking out of the drain or fill plug. It was coming out the front seal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.