Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914's on Top Gear US.
post Dec 26 2010, 11:25 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,791
Region Association: Southern California

Did you see the preview of next weeks Top Gear America? I saw a few shots of 914's. Tune in. Tonight's episode was quite good. Better than the previous ones. It's getting better. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
7 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(100 - 119)
bandjoey
post Jan 7 2011, 10:40 PM
Post #101

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

USA Not. Bad Acting. Why did they waste money on paint! It didn't do anything for the show or the sale.

Watched the used car show and it'll take years to catch up with the British show. The worldwide audience is about 350 million and BBC puts the gross worldwide revenues at over a $1Billion (heard this on the BBC) . They can afford to hire better people for the US show.
+Quote Post
oldschool
post Jan 7 2011, 10:45 PM
Post #102

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,705

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jan 7 2011, 08:40 PM) *

USA Not. Bad Acting. Why did they waste money on paint! It didn't do anything for the show or the sale.

Watched the used car show and it'll take years to catch up with the British show. The worldwide audience is about 350 million and BBC puts the gross worldwide revenues at over a $1Billion (heard this on the BBC) . They can afford to hire better people for the US show.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I was on netflix looking at old show..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) my (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif) off
the one that was cool is when they go the the flats....
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jan 14 2011, 02:03 PM
Post #103

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

For those who haven't seen the episode with a 914, it's now posted online:
http://www.history.com/shows/top-gear/vide...ed-car-salesmen
+Quote Post
Dirty Evo
post Jan 14 2011, 02:21 PM
Post #104

Member No.: 11,198
Region Association: Northern California

honestly guys, I enjoy the U.S. show. And I don't particularly like the british show. Of course, like every car guy, I do watch it, but I find it a bit annoying sometimes. The USA version is also a bit annoying, but I don't know, its not so bad.

I agree that Tanner is kind of unlikeable. he might even be a good guy in real life but he comes accross on TV as kind of a douche.. and teh other two guys.. well... an real automotive journalist would be great on there instead.

Not saying the show is perfect, its not.. but just saying I find it entertaining, I don't think its the worst show... it will get better over time if it doesn't get cancelled
+Quote Post
7TPorsh
post Jan 14 2011, 02:43 PM
Post #105

7T Porsh

Member No.: 5,782

I think that's my town.
+Quote Post
pcar916
post Jan 14 2011, 04:03 PM
Post #106

Is that a Lola?

Member No.: 4,188

I'm willing to give the USA guys some time. I've enjoyed a few sequences. Besides, anyone who treats our 914's with respect gets extra consideration from me, and plenty of it. We just need to get them a properly setup 914 to drive. Heck. I'll bring 'em mine!

I watch the British show all the time and so do my girls. It's a hoot.
+Quote Post
adambo
post Jan 15 2011, 10:04 PM
Post #107

Member No.: 10,776
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Maybe this could help them improve their track, I'm not sure if they could make a good course from the "winding road"

http://www.cbre.com/USA/US/CA/South+Bay+LA...ck.htm?pageid=1

-Adam
+Quote Post
Brent
post Sep 4 2011, 08:26 PM
Post #108

Every month is Oktober

Member No.: 3,291

Again, Cool ForzaM4 episode against real life car at Infineon, and the others playing the video game. Posted already in the Forza Motorsport 3 Thread.
+Quote Post
Brent
post Sep 4 2011, 08:36 PM
Post #109

Every month is Oktober

Member No.: 3,291

Sweet, now Tanner is doing a lap in a Limo...oh stirs the thoughts of the 914 World Limo!
+Quote Post
nsr-jamie
post Sep 4 2011, 09:43 PM
Post #110

914 guy in Japan

Member No.: 8,305

I was never able to watch the 914 video, the above link is not working on my computer...anybody know where to find a video link of it so I can see for myself please

Is it on youtube yet?
+Quote Post
Thestigz06
post Sep 5 2011, 12:31 AM
Post #111

Aspiring Jarhead

Member No.: 12,749

QUOTE(Dirty Evo @ Jan 14 2011, 01:21 PM) *

honestly guys, I enjoy the U.S. show. And I don't particularly like the british show. Of course, like every car guy, I do watch it, but I find it a bit annoying sometimes. The USA version is also a bit annoying, but I don't know, its not so bad.

I agree that Tanner is kind of unlikeable. he might even be a good guy in real life but he comes accross on TV as kind of a douche.. and teh other two guys.. well... an real automotive journalist would be great on there instead.

Not saying the show is perfect, its not.. but just saying I find it entertaining, I don't think its the worst show... it will get better over time if it doesn't get cancelled

He really is a super nice guy, a little dorky but great guy.
+Quote Post
johannes
post Sep 5 2011, 12:53 AM
Post #112

Club Porsche 914 France President

Member No.: 5,409
Region Association: France

QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Sep 4 2011, 07:43 PM) *

I was never able to watch the 914 video, the above link is not working on my computer...anybody know where to find a video link of it so I can see for myself please

Is it on youtube yet?

Here are the links to the torrent files http://www.finalgear.com/shows/topgearusa/1/7/
Torrent are not videos. Those are links to shared files. You must first install a bittorrent client software. I use "Vuze".
When the client software is installed, download the torrent file. Then the video will download in the torrent client software. This may take from ten minutes to an hour, depending on how many people share the file.
+Quote Post
LvSteveH
post Jan 21 2014, 06:46 PM
Post #113

I put the Poor in Porsche

Member No.: 600

Well, here's yet another update about the Top Gear 914. The new owner put some time and $$ into it. He painted it dark gray and had some engine work done. With it up and running properly he put quite a few miles on it over the last couple years.

Unfortunately it was recently stolen outside his home. Thankfully he was insured and ultimately the car was recovered..... but it has a bit of a door ding.

Somehow it still runs and drives. Against my better judgement I am the new owner of this priceless piece of 914 history. My wife will be soooooo pleased (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jan 21 2014, 06:57 PM
Post #114

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Oh dude, that chassis looks bent.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jan 21 2014, 06:58 PM
Post #115

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Rand @ Jan 14 2011, 03:03 PM) *

For those who haven't seen the episode with a 914, it's now posted online:
http://www.history.com/shows/top-gear/vide...ed-car-salesmen

Not the Right Link!
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jan 21 2014, 07:47 PM
Post #116

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(LvSteveH @ Jan 21 2014, 05:46 PM) *

Well, here's yet another update about the Top Gear 914. The new owner put some time and $$ into it. He painted it dark gray and had some engine work done. With it up and running properly he put quite a few miles on it over the last couple years.

Unfortunately it was recently stolen outside his home. Thankfully he was insured and ultimately the car was recovered..... but it has a bit of a door ding.

Somehow it still runs and drives. Against my better judgement I am the new owner of this priceless piece of 914 history. My wife will be soooooo pleased (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Definitely a good conversation piece, good luck saving it!
+Quote Post
LvSteveH
post Jan 21 2014, 09:52 PM
Post #117

I put the Poor in Porsche

Member No.: 600

I was having a rough day, so I though, why not lighten the mood and drive the 914 home. Well...... suffice it to say I had a smile on my face the whole way.

The smile was not induced by a 914 as it naturally is, but rather a reaction to the sheer number of things going wrong simultaneously. How anyone drove the car on a regular basis is absolutely beyond me. I have no reason to doubt the guy and it had recent plates. It's a really "special" car. He drove it over to our shop and said it drove well despite being whacked, so I thought I could get away with driving it home. It did drive straight, I'll give it that.

Basically the trip home was a 30 mile gauntlet to avoid having it impounded on the spot. The single headlight was so dim that the spot it landed 4 feet in front of the car at was roughly equivalent to the light on my key chain... no exaggeration. So no headlights at all on a dark night. I got 1st gear when leaving the parking lot at work, but never again. Thankfully I was on the freeway most of the time.

Ultimately I owe a great debt of gratitude to a speeder who was stopped ahead of me and then to a motorcyclist who, in what may have been his last mortal act, distracted the authorities as I passed.

So I made it home. It tracks straight and the engine runs well. The rest is rather bleak. It's future is uncertain. Cool wall art or ebay..... decisions decisions. Still smiling though! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
ericoneal
post Jan 22 2014, 06:41 PM
Post #118

Member No.: 14,795
Region Association: South East States

I just saw the episode here:
http://www.streetfire.net/video/top-gear-u...t-1_2185074.htm

It is in 4 sections of about 10 minutes or so, each one will start after then next.

+Quote Post
nsr-jamie
post Jul 31 2014, 09:48 AM
Post #119

914 guy in Japan

Member No.: 8,305

Just watched it on the History channel as a repeat and spotted the 914 and saw you now own it, sorry to see it end up like that...just curious how it will turn out? Are you going to repair the car? Would like to see it saved if possible
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 31 2014, 09:18 PM
Post #120

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Steve, just saw your post, Cool purchase! Any progress on the car?
+Quote Post

7 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 08:22 AM