Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914's on Top Gear US.
URY914
post Jan 3 2011, 08:37 AM
Post #61

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Group: Members
Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

Tim Allen did suck. He has raced in PRO SCCA I believe. Not funny and slow.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
geniusanthony
post Jan 3 2011, 08:39 AM
Post #62

Its a brand new "Chrome-sicle"

Member No.: 5,266
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I have never been in the car business personally but I agree with Rob's comment about making money on the buy side. Good example of this is trade-in values.
The guy with a members only jacket made his money on the buy side.
I bet a can of wax & grease remover takes all the black off the 1$ Lexus...
+Quote Post
C.Plavan
post Jan 3 2011, 09:25 AM
Post #63

Member No.: 3,825

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Jan 2 2011, 08:36 PM) *

Any body else catch the "The 914 replaced the 356" line? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

I agree with silver74insocal... "this show isnt about cars its about 3 dudes...2 of which have absolutely nothing to contribute."

Whats even funnier, is that Tanner owns a 912!
+Quote Post
Zundfolge
post Jan 3 2011, 09:46 AM
Post #64

Member No.: 7,994
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(rnellums @ Jan 2 2011, 09:16 PM) *

...was disappointed that he spent the money on strippers instead of the tranny.

Wow, there's a comment that could come back to bite one on the backside. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
C.Plavan
post Jan 3 2011, 09:53 AM
Post #65

Member No.: 3,825

QUOTE(Zundfolge @ Jan 3 2011, 07:46 AM) *

QUOTE(rnellums @ Jan 2 2011, 09:16 PM) *

...was disappointed that he spent the money on strippers instead of the tranny.

Wow, there's a comment that could come back to bite one on the backside. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jan 3 2011, 10:17 AM
Post #66

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Yikes!
+Quote Post
turboman808
post Jan 3 2011, 10:38 AM
Post #67

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,505
Region Association: North East States

Would have rather seen them drive a 914 then try and sell one. Rather a boring episode.
+Quote Post
Michael N
post Jan 3 2011, 10:40 AM
Post #68

Certifiable

Member No.: 2,164
Region Association: Northern California

Side note: Was the author of the Jalopnik post one of the two 914 test drivers actually shown in the episode last night?

I wonder if that was the first test driver wearing the Flying Lizard Racing shirt. Maybe he was just a crew member that was thrown on camera for the sake of speeding up the filming. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
BuddyV
post Jan 3 2011, 10:56 AM
Post #69

Robert

Member No.: 3,898
Region Association: Northern California

After viewing that sad excuse for a "Top Gear" last night, I watched a few episodes of season 9 Top Gear (original) on Netflix. What a difference.

I won't say that the Brits KNOW more about the cars, but they certainly have better presence on-screen. Much more thought-provoking comments.

And the filming - worlds apart. Really makes me appreciate the old episodes. Glad they are all on Netflix "Instant-Watch".

Now if the U.S. version could showcase some grassroots cars (914, 240z, etc.) in an episode, we might have something special. Something timely and American.
+Quote Post
Lou W
post Jan 3 2011, 11:32 AM
Post #70

"Here Kitty Kitty" my ass......

Member No.: 2,039
Region Association: Spain

QUOTE(treborzerimar @ Jan 3 2011, 10:56 AM) *

After viewing that sad excuse for a "Top Gear" last night, I watched a few episodes of season 9 Top Gear (original) on Netflix. What a difference.

I won't say that the Brits KNOW more about the cars, but they certainly have better presence on-screen. Much more thought-provoking comments.

And the filming - worlds apart. Really makes me appreciate the old episodes. Glad they are all on Netflix "Instant-Watch".

Now if the U.S. version could showcase some grassroots cars (914, 240z, etc.) in an episode, we might have something special. Something timely and American.

Good point. I thought it was pretty corny. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
pete000
post Jan 3 2011, 11:37 AM
Post #71

Member No.: 12,094
Region Association: South East States

I have watched most of the episodes and I just do not like this show. The UK version is entertaining, but the US version is just horrible.

The black Honda 85 Si was a really great car (I had several) and they should have done a head to head shoot out with it and the new CRZ !

I hope the show does not get renewed, or they dump the cast !
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jan 3 2011, 11:47 AM
Post #72

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

I don't think the US TG is a total waste. The Moonshine Run, Drifting Competition, Lancer in the snow, and GM revival were entertaining enough... The race in the Keys wasn't bad either.

I think TG needs to decide if its a "mainstream"show (yawn), or a car show.. if its the later, lets see more cars and technical information..
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jan 3 2011, 11:48 AM
Post #73

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

I mean, what's wrong with people smashing cars and acting stupid?
+Quote Post
flipb
post Jan 3 2011, 11:49 AM
Post #74

Member No.: 10,752
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I've seen all of the episodes and I think what it boils down to, for me, is this:

1. DRIVE THE CARS!
They spend a lot more time talking about cars, talking about other stuff, and doing goofy stunts... In the UK version, you get Clarkson (and sometimes Hammond) driving something new, tearing around the track, or a countryside road, and really reviewing the car with a lot of clever humor interwoven... which leads to #2:

2. Casting
I like Tanner. He's a great driver and a pretty intelligent guy. But none of the cast members combine the automotive knowledge, driving skill, and charismatic TV presence of any of the Top Gear UK cast members. I'd start by replacing Adam Ferrara with Adam Corolla, find somebody (maybe with deep technical/engineering smarts) to replace Rutledge.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
monkeyboy
post Jan 3 2011, 11:58 AM
Post #75

Member No.: 9,147

It seems like Rutlege was just put there to fill the "odd guy" Captain Slow spot. Like he wouldn't quite fit in, but that would be his fit. Unfortunately, he isn't funny, isn't particularly graceful on screen, and seems to just be there to look stupid.
+Quote Post
RFoulds
post Jan 3 2011, 12:02 PM
Post #76

Green Teen 66

Member No.: 10,656
Region Association: Southwest Region

First off lets get this staight. 356 replaced by 912, replaced by 914, replaced by 924.

Although this episode featured one of our favorite cars, this episode all on its own proved that this show is trying too hard to be entertainment and not about cars.

ANY ONE with car knowledge would not have painted it before sorting out the shift linkage, or the misfiring.

And the fat kid who says he "has flipped cars all his life," spray paints a Lexus? Come on, that was just embarrassingly stupid.

Some producer is forcing them to do this, because he thinks its similar to what the Brits do on their show, and we find that show more entertaining because of it.

WRONG on both counts, Mr Producer. Let the guys ACTUALLY do what they think would make the car sell. Let the humor happen out of the real situation and the characters involved. NOT manufactured by silliness like spray painting a Lexus.
+Quote Post
RFoulds
post Jan 3 2011, 12:15 PM
Post #77

Green Teen 66

Member No.: 10,656
Region Association: Southwest Region

Oh. And the TG UK episode where they went to a car auction, was a specialty auction for special interest vehicles, with some very interesting choices, not run-into-the-ground family sedans.

Yet another bad choice from a know-nothing producer. "Gee, all car aucctions are the same, right?"

NOPE!!

This POS show is making even "Chasing Classic Cars" look good, and I used to bag on THAT show until this one came along.

I will say, Tanner at least acknowledges the 914 is a great handling car, so he must know something.

If you want to see how to REALLY flip a car for a good profit, watch "Wheeler Dealers." Mike doesn't always make a profit, but at least he always puts a hlaf way decent car back on the road in solid driver condition.
+Quote Post
turboman808
post Jan 3 2011, 01:24 PM
Post #78

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,505
Region Association: North East States

Be nice if they got a properly setup 914GT on their track to see how it compares to the modern cars. Someone start a petition. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Rod
post Jan 3 2011, 01:44 PM
Post #79

Member No.: 8,526
Region Association: England

Is the American Top gear really as bad as I have just read over the last few pages?? What a shame, it's an excellent 'Entertainment' program over here in the UK... Top Gear started off as a car show and in all honesty it isn't anymore - it's an entertainment show with cars thrown in.. It's still good over here as the presenters are just right, (although the lesser two newbies (Hammond and May) have set off on their own accord doing various other programs, some of which are really really good)) It is a really funny watch and I live about 20k from where it's filmed so sometimes see the cars about on the country roads round here..

Shame yours is so bad as it's a great show (I blame the shows producers for selling the idea anyway - we don't have a Jay Leno car show wannabe over here...)

EDIT - Oh and by the way as said before, if Clarkson had the opportunity to get his hands on a 914 he would slate it until the cows came home, he hates Porsches and the worst car (in all the presenters eyes) is the VW beetle, so the 914 would be burned at the stake!!
+Quote Post
oldschool
post Jan 3 2011, 04:02 PM
Post #80

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,705
Region Association: Southern California

I went on the IMBD site ..and yes the producers are the people calling the shot's, So if they have no clue that's what you will see.

Real soon here I will be starting to shoot a show about a shop here in my area, and it will feature a 914 conversion.
So please be on a look out,I will PM some of you guys for your help. I hope to show some of the nice work that has been done here.
I'm doing the treatment now and will be shooting a pilot when it's done.

BTW I would like to talk with some of you guys that work on these cars for a living as well.
+Quote Post

7 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 08:27 AM