Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fuse Covers, New pic's of finished version
76-914
post Jan 7 2011, 01:08 PM
Post #1

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

First; thanks to Joe Sharpe and Saun Malloy for the effort to provide me with a panel, with which to practice. Second; fuses are placed at random and are not emblematic of a correct installation. Thirdly; this item is for CSOB's and not Pebble Beach. That being said, here is the first attempt. My goal is to provide you with info on "how to" make one of these in a few min's with materials that are free (already in your inventory) or quite cheap and the instructions to do so. Also, I want to develope two different methods for forming these. One using a heat gun and the other using your oven (in case you don't own a heat gun). I haven't got all the details down for the oven method complete but hope to have that completed in the next week. You will see that I have drilled 2 holes in the board 11mm apart to secure it. This spacing is used so you can use the existing 2 screws holding the fuse block if you don't want to drill your board. Either way, you will need a screwdriver to remove it in order to R&R a fuse. I'm pretty sure most of us carry a screwdriver in our 914, anyway. Will update this in the next few days.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jan 7 2011, 01:14 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

Neat idea!!!! Has it been "KNEE" tested yet??

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 7 2011, 12:08 PM) *

First; thanks to Joe Sharpe and Saun Malloy for the effort to provide me with a panel, with which to practice. Second; fuses are placed at random and are not emblematic of a correct installation. Thirdly; this item is for CSOB's and not Pebble Beach. That being said, here is the first attempt. My goal is to provide you with info on "how to" make one of these in a few min's with materials that are free (already in your inventory) or quite cheap and the instructions to do so. Also, I want to develope two different methods for forming these. One using a heat gun and the other using your oven (in case you don't own a heat gun). I haven't got all the details down for the oven method complete but hope to have that completed in the next week. You will see that I have drilled 2 holes in the board 11mm apart to secure it. This spacing is used so you can use the existing 2 screws holding the fuse block if you don't want to drill your board. Either way, you will need a screwdriver to remove it in order to R&R a fuse. I'm pretty sure most of us carry a screwdriver in our 914, anyway. Will update this in the next few days.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Drums66
post Jan 7 2011, 02:44 PM
Post #3

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

....that looks like it has some promise.....eager to see how they turn
out.?...looks fine so far ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)(hey George(AA)I still have 1 I purchased from you (90's)
+Quote Post
flipb
post Jan 7 2011, 02:49 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 10,752
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

Fantastic!

My fuse cover was cracked when I bought the car... took me about 3 months to completely snap it in half after a few brushes with my size 12.

Could it be attached with small wing screws to make it easier to remove in a hurry?
+Quote Post
rfuerst911sc
post Jan 7 2011, 03:00 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,980
Region Association: South East States

Maybe velcro ?
+Quote Post
zonedoubt
post Jan 7 2011, 03:02 PM
Post #6

Canadian Member

Member No.: 696
Region Association: Canada

...or you can just buy the cheap VW one which fits: http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?Prod...2D937%2D555%2DM
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 8 2011, 08:02 PM
Post #7

So here are a few shots of a finished cover. The jig is working so next is to make a few in Lexan (polycarbonate), as this might be more available. Also, want to try a 1/16" version. If 1/16" proves strong enough I will continue with the oven method. May take a few more days of tinkering. More pic's w/ jig (fancy word for wood blocks) later.

Front view. Piece was narrowed and is now tucked inside:
Attached Image

Underside. If you look closely you can see how the piece tucks in and below:
Attached Image

End view. Close up:
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jan 8 2011, 11:47 PM
Post #8

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

It looks great but... If you blow a fuse on the road, you need a screwdriver to fix it. How about just some hook/loop attachment in lieu of the screws?
+Quote Post
silver74insocal
post Jan 9 2011, 12:04 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 11,073

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) lookin good Kent..
+Quote Post
RJMII
post Jan 9 2011, 09:12 AM
Post #10

Jim McIntosh

Member No.: 8,112

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jan 8 2011, 10:47 PM) *

It looks great but... If you blow a fuse on the road, you need a screwdriver to fix it. How about just some hook/loop attachment in lieu of the screws?

Or wingnuts on theaded studs? Slots? Big thumb screws like the Engman kit? (which the group buy is coming to a close soon, btw)

Looks great, Kent. Thanks for sharing!
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 9 2011, 10:05 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jan 8 2011, 09:47 PM) *

Yea, I mentioned that you would need a screwdriver. Most of us won't leave home w/o a toolbox in the trunk (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) . The real purpose of this is to get guys making their own covers, (including the jig) in < 1 hr and to experience making something from scratch. If we didn't like working on cars we wouldn't own 914's, would we? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) BTW, I'm going to slot the mounting holes on the next one. Then I won't need to use the screwdriver. But really; if you blow a fuse......you will need more than a screwdriver.
After you find that you can manipulate the forms that these plastics can take on, you will find other projects for your new found skill. Eventually, I think I'll post a quick video on Youtube for those of us that are easily distracted. I have to go clean out a space for Lew's car now. We're going to Pertronix his ass. Al's bringing his 914, too. Should be a great Sunday!
+Quote Post
RJMII
post Jan 9 2011, 02:10 PM
Post #12

Jim McIntosh

Member No.: 8,112

Kent, it's not necessarily that one might blow a fuse, but one might need to twist the fuse and get it to 'reseat' from corrosion/oxidization. I had that issue almost as much as kicking them out on entry of the vehicle.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jan 9 2011, 02:39 PM
Post #13

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

How about some self adhesive magnetic strip on the plexi? That would make it quick release.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 10 2011, 09:24 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jan 9 2011, 12:39 PM) *

How about some self adhesive magnetic strip on the plexi? That would make it quick release.

That's the great thing. Everyone get's to make theirs to suit themselves. I Just want to show how easy and cheap it is to form these up. I didn't have much time to tinker today but I did discover one thing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) SCREW Lexan. That stuff is a bitch to work with. I got one made in the time it take to make 10 from acrylic. Nor do I see any advantage in using polycarbonate. I'll update in a few days and will list materials list, cost, where to buy's and pic's of jig and how to use it.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 01:17 AM