Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuse Covers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
First; thanks to Joe Sharpe and Saun Malloy for the effort to provide me with a panel, with which to practice. Second; fuses are placed at random and are not emblematic of a correct installation. Thirdly; this item is for CSOB's and not Pebble Beach. That being said, here is the first attempt. My goal is to provide you with info on "how to" make one of these in a few min's with materials that are free (already in your inventory) or quite cheap and the instructions to do so. Also, I want to develope two different methods for forming these. One using a heat gun and the other using your oven (in case you don't own a heat gun). I haven't got all the details down for the oven method complete but hope to have that completed in the next week. You will see that I have drilled 2 holes in the board 11mm apart to secure it. This spacing is used so you can use the existing 2 screws holding the fuse block if you don't want to drill your board. Either way, you will need a screwdriver to remove it in order to R&R a fuse. I'm pretty sure most of us carry a screwdriver in our 914, anyway. Will update this in the next few days.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Neat idea!!!! Has it been "KNEE" tested yet??

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 7 2011, 12:08 PM) *

First; thanks to Joe Sharpe and Saun Malloy for the effort to provide me with a panel, with which to practice. Second; fuses are placed at random and are not emblematic of a correct installation. Thirdly; this item is for CSOB's and not Pebble Beach. That being said, here is the first attempt. My goal is to provide you with info on "how to" make one of these in a few min's with materials that are free (already in your inventory) or quite cheap and the instructions to do so. Also, I want to develope two different methods for forming these. One using a heat gun and the other using your oven (in case you don't own a heat gun). I haven't got all the details down for the oven method complete but hope to have that completed in the next week. You will see that I have drilled 2 holes in the board 11mm apart to secure it. This spacing is used so you can use the existing 2 screws holding the fuse block if you don't want to drill your board. Either way, you will need a screwdriver to remove it in order to R&R a fuse. I'm pretty sure most of us carry a screwdriver in our 914, anyway. Will update this in the next few days.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Drums66
....that looks like it has some promise.....eager to see how they turn
out.?...looks fine so far ! flag.gif
shades.gif bye1.gif(hey George(AA)I still have 1 I purchased from you (90's)
flipb
clap56.gif

Fantastic!

My fuse cover was cracked when I bought the car... took me about 3 months to completely snap it in half after a few brushes with my size 12.

Could it be attached with small wing screws to make it easier to remove in a hurry?
rfuerst911sc
Maybe velcro ?
zonedoubt
...or you can just buy the cheap VW one which fits: http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?Prod...2D937%2D555%2DM
76-914
So here are a few shots of a finished cover. The jig is working so next is to make a few in Lexan (polycarbonate), as this might be more available. Also, want to try a 1/16" version. If 1/16" proves strong enough I will continue with the oven method. May take a few more days of tinkering. More pic's w/ jig (fancy word for wood blocks) later.

Front view. Piece was narrowed and is now tucked inside:
Click to view attachment

Underside. If you look closely you can see how the piece tucks in and below:
Click to view attachment

End view. Close up:
Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
It looks great but... If you blow a fuse on the road, you need a screwdriver to fix it. How about just some hook/loop attachment in lieu of the screws?
silver74insocal
smilie_pokal.gif lookin good Kent..
RJMII
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jan 8 2011, 10:47 PM) *

It looks great but... If you blow a fuse on the road, you need a screwdriver to fix it. How about just some hook/loop attachment in lieu of the screws?

Or wingnuts on theaded studs? Slots? Big thumb screws like the Engman kit? (which the group buy is coming to a close soon, btw)

Looks great, Kent. Thanks for sharing!
76-914
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jan 8 2011, 09:47 PM) *

Yea, I mentioned that you would need a screwdriver. Most of us won't leave home w/o a toolbox in the trunk happy11.gif . The real purpose of this is to get guys making their own covers, (including the jig) in < 1 hr and to experience making something from scratch. If we didn't like working on cars we wouldn't own 914's, would we? lol-2.gif BTW, I'm going to slot the mounting holes on the next one. Then I won't need to use the screwdriver. But really; if you blow a fuse......you will need more than a screwdriver.
After you find that you can manipulate the forms that these plastics can take on, you will find other projects for your new found skill. Eventually, I think I'll post a quick video on Youtube for those of us that are easily distracted. I have to go clean out a space for Lew's car now. We're going to Pertronix his ass. Al's bringing his 914, too. Should be a great Sunday!
RJMII
Kent, it's not necessarily that one might blow a fuse, but one might need to twist the fuse and get it to 'reseat' from corrosion/oxidization. I had that issue almost as much as kicking them out on entry of the vehicle.
Mike Bellis
How about some self adhesive magnetic strip on the plexi? That would make it quick release.
76-914
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jan 9 2011, 12:39 PM) *

How about some self adhesive magnetic strip on the plexi? That would make it quick release.

That's the great thing. Everyone get's to make theirs to suit themselves. I Just want to show how easy and cheap it is to form these up. I didn't have much time to tinker today but I did discover one thing. ar15.gif SCREW Lexan. That stuff is a bitch to work with. I got one made in the time it take to make 10 from acrylic. Nor do I see any advantage in using polycarbonate. I'll update in a few days and will list materials list, cost, where to buy's and pic's of jig and how to use it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.