Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ode to the Mighty Brad!!, He comes through once again...
Britain Smith
post Apr 26 2004, 10:59 AM
Post #1

Nano Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 364

Well...to put this in perspective, the world of 914's would be very different if it weren't for Brad.

Case in point: I was up at HPH all day on Sat. working on projects with Brad, helping him cut the floorpans out of a soon to be race car, rebuilding transmissions, etc. About 10:00 p.m. after watching him completly rebuild a 930 transmission twice (don't ask) and completly installing it back in the car in the matter of about an hour or so, I began to explain that my car had a spongy brake pedal. Therefore, we starting bleeding my brakes and BOOM!...we blew one of the rear brake lines in half. At this time, it was about 11:00 and we rolled the car on the lift and began the impossible task of replacing the rear brake lines (if you have not done this, I don't advise you try...it is a pain in the ass). About 12:30 or so, we had completly replaced all the brake lines with stainless steel lines and bled them...rock solid now.

Normally, an individual (friend, mechanic, etc.) helping you work on your car would send you packing, but not Brad. He points out that the tranny mounts a completly shot and replacing them with sport mounts would significantly help the shifting on my tailshifter tranny. So with the autocross just a couple of hours away, we replaced the tranny mounts and dispite the difficulties getting around the shifter components we are completed about 1:30 at night (or in the morning, which ever way you look at it). We then proceed to get all the cars back into the shop and leave about 1:45 or 2:00 in the morning.

I then see Brad again at about 6:30 or 7:00 in the morning pulling into the autocross right in front on me. Let me remind you, it is merely a couple of hours since he got home the previous morning not including the hour and a half drive down. He is at the autocross in full force, not as a driver but just to help. Let me repeat that...HE IS NOT EVEN DRIVING IN THE AUTOCROSS...and he is still there with only a couple of hours sleep. I see him wrenching away on Jason's car, giving advice to just about every 914 driver out there, suggesting mods and improvements to my car to keep it from leaning like a 19th century sailboat, etc. etc.

Now, that is commitment!!

For those of you that know Brad in person or just as a screen name...share one of your more interesting stories in which Brad was there helping you out, either in person or on the phone, when everyone else would send you packing.

I am sure we can get a nice list together, I can remember a few off hand in which he was making housecalls late into the evening, supporting cars at the tracks, on the phone with someone broken down in other states, and going to remote place to trailer cars here and there. Share so that everyone can understand the man that we can consider a 914 god... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

-Britain
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
4WheelDrifter
post Apr 26 2004, 11:05 AM
Post #2

Having a mid-life crisis @ 35

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,934

Nice!

Any 914 guys in the Northeast like Brad? If there is, I want his #.
+Quote Post
peridotian
post Apr 26 2004, 11:09 AM
Post #3

Unregistered

Yea, I broke down in Milpitas on the way home from the AX and was going to call Mike to get Brad's number to see if he could give me some pointers, but knew you guys were up to all hours of the night so I did not make the call. In the end, my son figured it out and we were on our way. But I did get free shock setting adjustment from Brad at the event!
+Quote Post
seanery
post Apr 26 2004, 11:28 AM
Post #4

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

Many of you may remember my woes picking up whitey in LA. Brad drove down and picked me and the car up, gave me a place to stay then built me a sweet motor (that I just broke). I'd never met him in person before then. Great guy! Shirt Stealer! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Jenny
post Apr 26 2004, 11:40 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 96

Funny... He's never stolen my shirt before...

Brad is 95% of the time there for me. The other 5% is either because he has other obligations or because he's out of state. Or because his cell phone's crapped out on him. You can bet on it though, if he can help, he definitely will. One of his best features is that he's a mechanic you can trust. He's never peddling anything. If he says it needs fixin', it's because it does, not because his shop needs the business or money. He's made house calls for me on numerous occasions. Never asks for more than parts and gas $. I almost always buy him dinner if he comes all the way down to south bay. And he's shuttled my car several times between san jose and Novato/Napa. Thanks B-man! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Jen
+Quote Post
ss6
post Apr 26 2004, 01:14 PM
Post #6

fun city...

Member No.: 221

Jim, obviously Brad is one very tough act to follow. If you need 914 specific expertise out here in southern New England, check out Chris Foley of tangerineracing.com, about an hour from you up I-84 in Manchester CT. BTW, I'm one town over from you (Danbury). Do you attend any of the PCA/CVR events?
+Quote Post
reverie
post Apr 26 2004, 02:02 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 427

Brad is truly amazing.. wonderful guy, wonderful stories.

And let's add a big "Bravo!" for his wife Lyressa...
You know what they say.. behind every great man.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
+Quote Post
4WheelDrifter
post Apr 26 2004, 02:10 PM
Post #8

John,

I just became a member of the Porsche community when I finally bought a 914 last week (after a 20 year wait). I haven't attended any PCA/CVR events yet (still need to join). I'll be doing that soon.

I know of Chris and talked to him on the phone. Seems like a cool guy from what I can tell. I'll be stopping by his shop sometime soon to check it out. People reveal who they really are if you pay attention. Wondered if there were any others around here.

We should hook up and shoot the 914 sh*t sometime. I'm probably right around the corner from you.
+Quote Post
Targa
post Apr 26 2004, 02:27 PM
Post #9

V Member

Member No.: 18

In January my engine started developing a bad noise. I had hoped to have my car back to enjoy on my birthday. Brad and McMark(Mark De Bernardi) stayed until past midnight on a Friday tearing my engine out and then down until the problem was found. I found myself at a loss for words. Thanks again to Brad, Mark, and Rich at High Performance House. I would be lost without them! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
william harris
post Apr 26 2004, 02:40 PM
Post #10

914 Restorer

Member No.: 1,539

Jim in CT: I second the recommendation of Chris Foley in CT. You know: tangerineracing.com. Real good guy. Can't say he'll be there til 1:30 in the morning, but he will fix it right. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Curvie Roadlover
post Apr 26 2004, 03:21 PM
Post #11

Two trunks are better than one!

Member No.: 42

When I bought my car, Brad was the "go between" for myself and the owner. The owner was not a 914 regular and had never used Brad's shop, but had driven by and seen all the 914s outside so asked for Brads' help in selling the car. I don't believe there was any kind of commission or any other arrangement. Brad just offerred to help find a buyer. I bought the car for the agreed price despite a higher offer coming in after my offer was accepted (but before any deposit or anything was sent). Brad said he couldn't accept the offer for the car for more money because he had already sold it to me. I was 3000 miles away and could have easily been fed some story that the owner changed his mind or whatever, and I'd have been none the wiser. Brad then picked me up at the airport when I came out to get the car. He put me up in his house for the night and arranged a little lunch get-together at the Tied House with other 914 folks for the next day.
If he's an asshole, we need more assholes in the world!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Apr 26 2004, 07:20 PM
Post #12

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Havent you guys figured out there that Brad has a twin brother! Yes, there are two of them so thats why he can be everywhere for people. While one works the other sleeps and then they switch! Its very hard to catch on but look very closely and you can see the differences......

Geoff (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Apr 26 2004, 08:00 PM
Post #13

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

I enjoy the cars and the people. Pretty simple really. Nothing spectacular. I get board watching TV.

24/7 Porsche. Nothing else.

B
+Quote Post
Curvie Roadlover
post Apr 26 2004, 08:53 PM
Post #14

Two trunks are better than one!

Member No.: 42

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Apr 26 2004, 09:02 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Brad has given me free advice a number of times on my engine rebuild. He even stopped by once at 9 or 10 at night AFTER HELPING SOMEONE ELSE to help me identify a pile of parts that came out of a bus motor.

After he was gone, my gf actually said to me that she didn't understand how someone who owes me nothing and I hardly knew would come over and spend hours talking to me about 914 parts. I wasn't sure what the answer was, except that's Brad...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
seanery
post Apr 26 2004, 09:09 PM
Post #16

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

that's Brad

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Apr 26 2004, 09:23 PM
Post #17

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

Brad, thanks again for your help at Marina.

I felt welcome, thanks for the encouragement to attend.
+Quote Post
4WheelDrifter
post Apr 26 2004, 09:24 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(william harris @ Apr 26 2004, 12:40 PM)
Jim in CT: I second the recommendation of Chris Foley in CT. Can't say he'll be there til 1:30 in the morning, but he will fix it right. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Who's up for making Brad the first cloned Human?

William, fixing it right is what I'm looking for. I was the thread of the work done to your car and I'm impressed. I'm hoping he can do the work needed to my car this winter.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Apr 26 2004, 09:28 PM
Post #19

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

My dedication to these cars and the people is unmatched by ANYONE (they would be stupid to try).

I forget what year it was 99/01 but I bailed my friend Doug Wright out of a spot on THANKSGIVING eve when he broke 1.5 hours from my house in his 9146. Loaded the truck and helped him out.

The stories are countless.

Here is what I expect from those that I help:

1. When I hold an event or something... show up
2. When I need help... be there
3. When you need a part.... buy it from me
4. Have fun. If this isnt fun... then sell your car.

Pretty easy. I only have 1-2 people that I have helped in the past who dont make any attempt to help me out when I need it. They no longer get phone calls returned from me.

B
+Quote Post
4WheelDrifter
post Apr 26 2004, 09:36 PM
Post #20

Reasonable expectations, all of them.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 10:52 PM