Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ode to the Mighty Brad!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Britain Smith
Well...to put this in perspective, the world of 914's would be very different if it weren't for Brad.

Case in point: I was up at HPH all day on Sat. working on projects with Brad, helping him cut the floorpans out of a soon to be race car, rebuilding transmissions, etc. About 10:00 p.m. after watching him completly rebuild a 930 transmission twice (don't ask) and completly installing it back in the car in the matter of about an hour or so, I began to explain that my car had a spongy brake pedal. Therefore, we starting bleeding my brakes and BOOM!...we blew one of the rear brake lines in half. At this time, it was about 11:00 and we rolled the car on the lift and began the impossible task of replacing the rear brake lines (if you have not done this, I don't advise you try...it is a pain in the ass). About 12:30 or so, we had completly replaced all the brake lines with stainless steel lines and bled them...rock solid now.

Normally, an individual (friend, mechanic, etc.) helping you work on your car would send you packing, but not Brad. He points out that the tranny mounts a completly shot and replacing them with sport mounts would significantly help the shifting on my tailshifter tranny. So with the autocross just a couple of hours away, we replaced the tranny mounts and dispite the difficulties getting around the shifter components we are completed about 1:30 at night (or in the morning, which ever way you look at it). We then proceed to get all the cars back into the shop and leave about 1:45 or 2:00 in the morning.

I then see Brad again at about 6:30 or 7:00 in the morning pulling into the autocross right in front on me. Let me remind you, it is merely a couple of hours since he got home the previous morning not including the hour and a half drive down. He is at the autocross in full force, not as a driver but just to help. Let me repeat that...HE IS NOT EVEN DRIVING IN THE AUTOCROSS...and he is still there with only a couple of hours sleep. I see him wrenching away on Jason's car, giving advice to just about every 914 driver out there, suggesting mods and improvements to my car to keep it from leaning like a 19th century sailboat, etc. etc.

Now, that is commitment!!

For those of you that know Brad in person or just as a screen name...share one of your more interesting stories in which Brad was there helping you out, either in person or on the phone, when everyone else would send you packing.

I am sure we can get a nice list together, I can remember a few off hand in which he was making housecalls late into the evening, supporting cars at the tracks, on the phone with someone broken down in other states, and going to remote place to trailer cars here and there. Share so that everyone can understand the man that we can consider a 914 god... clap56.gif

-Britain
4WheelDrifter
Nice!

Any 914 guys in the Northeast like Brad? If there is, I want his #.
peridotian
Yea, I broke down in Milpitas on the way home from the AX and was going to call Mike to get Brad's number to see if he could give me some pointers, but knew you guys were up to all hours of the night so I did not make the call. In the end, my son figured it out and we were on our way. But I did get free shock setting adjustment from Brad at the event!
seanery
Many of you may remember my woes picking up whitey in LA. Brad drove down and picked me and the car up, gave me a place to stay then built me a sweet motor (that I just broke). I'd never met him in person before then. Great guy! Shirt Stealer! biggrin.gif
Jenny
Funny... He's never stolen my shirt before...

Brad is 95% of the time there for me. The other 5% is either because he has other obligations or because he's out of state. Or because his cell phone's crapped out on him. You can bet on it though, if he can help, he definitely will. One of his best features is that he's a mechanic you can trust. He's never peddling anything. If he says it needs fixin', it's because it does, not because his shop needs the business or money. He's made house calls for me on numerous occasions. Never asks for more than parts and gas $. I almost always buy him dinner if he comes all the way down to south bay. And he's shuttled my car several times between san jose and Novato/Napa. Thanks B-man! beer.gif

Jen
ss6
Jim, obviously Brad is one very tough act to follow. If you need 914 specific expertise out here in southern New England, check out Chris Foley of tangerineracing.com, about an hour from you up I-84 in Manchester CT. BTW, I'm one town over from you (Danbury). Do you attend any of the PCA/CVR events?
reverie
Brad is truly amazing.. wonderful guy, wonderful stories.

And let's add a big "Bravo!" for his wife Lyressa...
You know what they say.. behind every great man.. smile.gif clap56.gif
4WheelDrifter
John,

I just became a member of the Porsche community when I finally bought a 914 last week (after a 20 year wait). I haven't attended any PCA/CVR events yet (still need to join). I'll be doing that soon.

I know of Chris and talked to him on the phone. Seems like a cool guy from what I can tell. I'll be stopping by his shop sometime soon to check it out. People reveal who they really are if you pay attention. Wondered if there were any others around here.

We should hook up and shoot the 914 sh*t sometime. I'm probably right around the corner from you.
Targa
In January my engine started developing a bad noise. I had hoped to have my car back to enjoy on my birthday. Brad and McMark(Mark De Bernardi) stayed until past midnight on a Friday tearing my engine out and then down until the problem was found. I found myself at a loss for words. Thanks again to Brad, Mark, and Rich at High Performance House. I would be lost without them! pray.gif
william harris
Jim in CT: I second the recommendation of Chris Foley in CT. You know: tangerineracing.com. Real good guy. Can't say he'll be there til 1:30 in the morning, but he will fix it right. smilie_pokal.gif
Curvie Roadlover
When I bought my car, Brad was the "go between" for myself and the owner. The owner was not a 914 regular and had never used Brad's shop, but had driven by and seen all the 914s outside so asked for Brads' help in selling the car. I don't believe there was any kind of commission or any other arrangement. Brad just offerred to help find a buyer. I bought the car for the agreed price despite a higher offer coming in after my offer was accepted (but before any deposit or anything was sent). Brad said he couldn't accept the offer for the car for more money because he had already sold it to me. I was 3000 miles away and could have easily been fed some story that the owner changed his mind or whatever, and I'd have been none the wiser. Brad then picked me up at the airport when I came out to get the car. He put me up in his house for the night and arranged a little lunch get-together at the Tied House with other 914 folks for the next day.
If he's an asshole, we need more assholes in the world!! clap56.gif
Bleyseng
Havent you guys figured out there that Brad has a twin brother! Yes, there are two of them so thats why he can be everywhere for people. While one works the other sleeps and then they switch! Its very hard to catch on but look very closely and you can see the differences......

Geoff wink.gif
Brad Roberts
I enjoy the cars and the people. Pretty simple really. Nothing spectacular. I get board watching TV.

24/7 Porsche. Nothing else.

B
Curvie Roadlover
pray.gif
mightyohm
Brad has given me free advice a number of times on my engine rebuild. He even stopped by once at 9 or 10 at night AFTER HELPING SOMEONE ELSE to help me identify a pile of parts that came out of a bus motor.

After he was gone, my gf actually said to me that she didn't understand how someone who owes me nothing and I hardly knew would come over and spend hours talking to me about 914 parts. I wasn't sure what the answer was, except that's Brad...

confused24.gif
seanery
that's Brad

agree.gif
Trekkor
Brad, thanks again for your help at Marina.

I felt welcome, thanks for the encouragement to attend.
4WheelDrifter
QUOTE(william harris @ Apr 26 2004, 12:40 PM)
Jim in CT: I second the recommendation of Chris Foley in CT. Can't say he'll be there til 1:30 in the morning, but he will fix it right. smilie_pokal.gif

Who's up for making Brad the first cloned Human?

William, fixing it right is what I'm looking for. I was the thread of the work done to your car and I'm impressed. I'm hoping he can do the work needed to my car this winter.
Brad Roberts
My dedication to these cars and the people is unmatched by ANYONE (they would be stupid to try).

I forget what year it was 99/01 but I bailed my friend Doug Wright out of a spot on THANKSGIVING eve when he broke 1.5 hours from my house in his 9146. Loaded the truck and helped him out.

The stories are countless.

Here is what I expect from those that I help:

1. When I hold an event or something... show up
2. When I need help... be there
3. When you need a part.... buy it from me
4. Have fun. If this isnt fun... then sell your car.

Pretty easy. I only have 1-2 people that I have helped in the past who dont make any attempt to help me out when I need it. They no longer get phone calls returned from me.

B
4WheelDrifter
Reasonable expectations, all of them.
EdwardBlume
I could fill this post with all the things Brad has done for me.

-A tranny install in my garage til 2AM (with Britain). -Roll bar. -Front end -Wiring -Plenum leaks - countless good advice -driving tips -THIS SITE.

Are you feeling the love yet???? beer.gif

You need a car chief. driving.gif
mightyohm
I think he wants a Boxster... That's the next Paypal fund raiser.
Trekkor
At the end of day at Marina, when I told Brad how much fun I had, he told me that two " newbies " who were driving the " ugly 914" ( my wife calls it ) were running .50 and .52 in that car. He told me he just did a little hand holding. He has the touch, I see.
EdwardBlume
I'm working on the times now. I'll try and post them here in an hour or so.
Andyrew
I saw brad at the last auto x. I was fully expecting him to drive one of the cars.. At least as a co driver.. But no, He had his butt down working on the cars or talking with the drivers the whole time. I want to thank Brad for all the help he has done for me and my fellow 914'ers.

Now if only I can fix the striped threads on my oil pressure sender plate bolt holes.. grrrr
SirAndy
gawd, where to begin. i guess i just don't. i would bore too many people to death.

my car wouldn't be on the road today without him. pray.gif
(well, it wouldn't have ended up in HIS shop for 1.5 years either, but that's another story laugh.gif )

keep it up brad-meister. and you have my number, just in case YOU need something,
Andy
Brad Roberts
Trekkor,

After chatting with you... they went 49 and 50. SHE ran a 50 (Birgit) and Jason ended up running a 49.

No need for love guy's. I appricate the thoughts. Britain didnt have to start this thread.

For as much good as I do.. I also screw things up royally.

B
william harris
pray.gif And the congregation said AMEN! Brad, we are not worthy! pray.gif rocking nana.gif
kafermeister
Yea, I got props for Brad too.

He trailered my Lagoon Blue '75 roller to Indy for what I consider cheap. I was able to pick up a Ca car less than 2 hrs from the house.

Thanks man
Rick
jonwatts
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Apr 26 2004, 08:54 PM)
For as much good as I do.. I also screw things up royally.

Hey now there's a thread we'd all like to see laugh.gif

In addition to the kudos I gave him and HPH in another thread he has:
  • lent me his dummy tranny for a year while I got around to mounting the subaru engine (done now)
  • been a match maker for tons of people needing and selling cars and parts (two engines and trannies from me alone)
  • given me tons of advice based on other people's screwups he's seen over the years
The list goes on and on. Basically for everything I try to do myself and get in over my head, he's there. Then again he's also there to tell me what I did wrong, I think that's where the nickname comes from.
airsix
Ok, Brad didn't answer my PM (sorry, Buddy. You snooze you lose.) so I'll ask it here...

Brad has really done a lot for the 914 community. More than anyone else I know. I also know that he has to make a living. I know that most of us would like to "return the favor" when possible. How do we do this? Is Brad doing business on his own? Is he loosely tied to HPH? Is doing business with HPH directly beneficial to Brad? I am going to spend some money on my 914 this year and I want some of it to find it's way into Brad's pocket. What is the most effective way to make that happen?

Brad, we want to give you our business. Explain how we do this!

-Ben M.

ps - By "give you our business" I mean the stuff you can actually turn a profit on. I don't want to ask you to waste 45 minutes finding me an O-ring.
Brad Roberts
Ecommerce through this site within the next 6 weeks. I'm tied into HPH now hook line and sinker. I will sell parts through the Ecomm we tested earlier this year. I had to get my move done and get some customer cars cranked out before I can get back in front of the computer to enter the new products. We will offer things that NO one else offers. Very high end stuff and easy stuff that you didnt know was still available.

Thanks Ben. You have been a good *virtual* friend for some time now.

B
airsix
That's cool. I didn't mean to jump the gun on anything. I didn't know you had anything cooking (I should know you better than that by now) I thought you were donating all this time and not getting any return. I just want to see you get your fair shake. I look forward to seeing your plan in action.

-Ben
4WheelDrifter
Brad,

When you are ready, post a link my man!
jimtab
Brad doesn't need a clone, just more iced tea and pepsi. Brad has always been able to help me with answers to questions, some stupid and some not. But, I am the secret to part of his sucess (blue rags). IF you EVER need anything just ask Bradley, I'll help if I can. It seems about 99 per cent of Texas expatriots are just good guys, but, like they say in Austin, the bottom is loaded with good guys, cream and bastards(assholes)rise. Welcome to the top Brad. Jim aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Ok, Asshole he is, but gotta tell this story anyway. Last september, I dropped a valve seat two weeks before the MUSR in Hot Springs. I had never even pulled a motor from a 914 before, much less rebuild the top end. After asking help from the board, and Brad, I got pissed at brad because he answered my questions with "I got my heads back on and I'm off to Hooters" while I was still figuring out how the F#*k to get the wrist pins out. Well, I fixed the car myself just to spite him. Had the engine back in and running eight days later. I settled down and apologized, and he drove all the way to Hot Springs just to accept my apology. laugh.gif

Brad knew I could do it . He just gave the motivation to believe in myself.
Brad Roberts
I have weird ways of working. I will motivate people in totally different ways. Each person needs some kind of *push* some people respond to negative push ( f-you maggot.. drop and give me 50).. some respond to positive (I know you can do it..) I took the negative approach and it pissed you off enough that you cranked it out and had a hell of a time drinking with us each night in Ark. I could have rubbed your back and told you everything was going to be "ok".. I could tell you where not that type of person.

I'm here for everyone. Cant always accomodate everyone.. but I try.

B
tat2dphreak
I'll give Brad mad props too! I know it has to get annoying for all of you with tons of experience to school all us newbies... there are times when I feel dumb as a box of shit asking some of the questions... but Brad and all of the veterans have always been there for me and the others here... and for that, we can't thank ya'll enough...

pray.gif pray.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

PS: Brad, Wes says "hi" Brad directed me to Wes, who has been a local goldmine of useful information... and parts biggrin.gif
Gint
Brad is an asshole! biggrin.gif

And we all need at least one...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.