Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

44 Pages V « < 36 37 38 39 40 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Andyrews Progress Thread, 1/16/22 A Trip to The Red Barn - Lets fab a Firewall!
Andyrew
post Mar 12 2019, 08:35 PM
Post #741

Spooling.... Please wait

Group: Members
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Thanks for catching that. I edited it for clarity (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Mar 13 2019, 08:21 AM
Post #742

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 12 2019, 01:02 PM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 3 2019, 07:42 AM) *

Woot, Woot! Hopefully, you're all done with this phase of the work. You deserve lots of credit for your "sticktoitism"!
The bad news is that you're first on my list to call when I start in on my wiring!

Big CONGRATS to you, Andrew! Way to keep after it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

I'll hand over all my wiring tools/supplies to you as I have buttloads of stuff now and hopefully wont be needing it.

Whatever you dont use just give back (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I'll bring it with me when we finishing up the cage (Any dates in the coming months work better than others?).

Being retired (don't hate me!), I can pretty much make anything work. Let me know when you're thinking is good for you and we'll get something on calendar.
Talk soon.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 19 2019, 11:09 PM
Post #743

Spooling.... Please wait

Some progress.

Took apart the new EHV trans to remove the flanges and the diff. Added the LSD that I had been saving for a while for this trans after learning the hard way that a roll pin goes in/out only one way.
Attached Image

I still need to remove the 100mm flanges from the trans on the car. I'll do that when I swap the trans and put fluid in the new one.
Attached Image

Also I checked the gearing on the new trans. First is slightly shorter and third is shorter as well which is good. Should make 3rd gear a bit more usable instead of just a "throw me to jail officer" gear.
Attached Image

I finished the rebuild on the pedal cluster which just entailed replacing the outer two bushings on the clutch and bending the spring for the clutch. The OE clutch spring springs it the wrong way for what I needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze3HdJ-h7D4

I determined why my clutch didn't do anything for the first 1/8 of pedal movement, the spot where the roll pin goes in the clutch shaft was ovaled. So after fussing with it I decided to just fix it right (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) now has perfect operation and zero slop.
Attached Image

Combine this with a little more adjustment and the spring and it feels like I have another 1/4 throw of the clutch. This might fix my shifting problem all by itself. I'll try it before I throw in the new trans so I know if the old one is a good spare or not.
Actually really excited to finally have a 914 that shifts well... Never ever have had that.

I plumbed in the new fuel filter in the old location just so I can do some driving around. Fiddled with some other stuff as well. Very close to testing it on the road and going through my long checklist and getting back to interior and suspension/brakes.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 21 2019, 10:02 AM
Post #744

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

You shouldn't need that return spring with the hydraulic setup. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 21 2019, 01:14 PM
Post #745

Spooling.... Please wait

QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 21 2019, 09:02 AM) *

You shouldn't need that return spring with the hydraulic setup. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)

I would have thought the same thing, but its not true. The master cyl doesnt push on the clutch enough, again probably my shifting issue and I possibly could have adjusted it differently but I tested the full travel of the hydraulic slave and master prior to building my pedal system.

I'll give it a test drive this weekend and we'll find out for sure.

Regardless if this was my shifting issue or not, I like the gear ratios of the new trans better and it gives me a spare for when I start turning up the boost to blow trans levels.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Apr 9 2019, 08:26 AM
Post #746

Spooling.... Please wait

Hot start issue is back. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I have a workaround for the future. The car starts every 2-3 times if the throttle is held wide open. Vs starting every 20-30 times. So I'm Ok with that for WCR.

Test drive with more clutch throw was good in all gears except first which ground pretty good. I will swap new trans in before WCR.

I however have been busy... With what?

Dash.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Apr 9 2019, 08:31 AM
Post #747

Spooling.... Please wait

Photo dump of dash progress.

Made with expanding foam, I'll be glassing over it. I have been running into issues with the dash warping so I need to glass the top for strength then I'll finish the front and guage area. Finally I'll work on the bottom as a separate piece. Blue tape line shows rough beltline

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Apr 9 2019, 08:41 AM
Post #748

Spooling.... Please wait

Also

Climate system. Video shows it best. Sorry I tend to be wordy.

I needed to mount this before I could finalize the dash to ensure fitment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEVlfUMLAd0
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Apr 9 2019, 08:47 AM
Post #749

Spooling.... Please wait

I've been debating on my use of dash vents. I think I will need to fabricate some out of steel. I dont need the fins to move, but I do want something that GOES with the dash.

This pic goes over what my thoughts are for a custom vent.

Flat faced and 3 sides and a smooth contour with the dashline.

Not sure on my fin placement or quantity. Still thinking it out.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-172-1554820218_thumb.jpg)
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post Apr 9 2019, 08:48 AM
Post #750

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669
Region Association: Southern California

Nice to see ingenuity....keep it up, see ya at WCR

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowtorch.gif)

Oscar
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Apr 9 2019, 09:12 AM
Post #751

914 Guru

Andrew - that's really coming along! Nice work...
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Apr 16 2019, 01:17 PM
Post #752

Spooling.... Please wait

Alina turned 2 Saturday (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
Attached Image
She likes cars, loves to buckle up when she sits in a seat, Here she is with my dad and sitting in the 944.

Attached Image
She also likes playing in the dirt. Not pictured is a couple hours later her playing with a tea set and pouring me "tea".
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Apr 16 2019, 01:21 PM
Post #753

Oakdalecurtis

Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

Good thing she looks like Jeruka!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Apr 16 2019, 01:35 PM
Post #754

Spooling.... Please wait

With the goal of my dad bringing his 914 to WCR and me bringing my 914 to WCR that means we both have to be running. He's much closer to me and I have a lot of work to do in general..

We spent Sunday morning trying to figure out a way to fix my notchy steering. We tried at first to make my double heim joint system to work better but couldnt get it any better than before.

One of the reasons for not going with the 914 steering column is the audi signal stalks and all the related electrical components. My dad having the blue parts car he brought down a bunch of stuff for us to consider using instead. This included the 914 steering column.

After a bunch of work we decided to give the 914 column a try, cut off the outer housing on the aluminum piece and with a bit of grinding we should be able to put the Audi column electrical bits on the 914 piece.

At this point since I moved the 914 mount AND my dash is pretty much formed up I'll mock it in place and weld a column mount to the body We tested the system with the wheels up moving the wheel checking for binding and did not find any. So with a bit more fabrication I'll be able to make this work.

This also means no more bulky Audi steering wheel. More details on that when parts come in.

Hopefully I can accomplish this and not have to modify my dash too much.

June is going to be tough to get the car ready... My list needs to be updated....
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Apr 16 2019, 10:57 PM
Post #755

Spooling.... Please wait

A visual on the column modifications.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Apr 16 2019, 10:58 PM
Post #756

Spooling.... Please wait

Quite a bit removed. All non structural just for mounting the key switch. Which will remain Audi and be relocated to the dash.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Apr 21 2019, 03:24 AM
Post #757

Spooling.... Please wait

Trying to make steady progress.

But big hurdle out of the way that will affect the cars drivability by a long shot. Steering column swapped back to a 914. Relocated slightly but it's very smooth now.
Attached Image
This meant I needed a new steering wheel and adapter. Quite happy with this one so far.

If you look back about 3 years I also tried my hand at making a shifter but couldn't find anyone to turn the wood. Well I still had the 3" block of glued wood but no lathe. I was sitting on the couch early last week and looking at knobs to buy to compliment the steering wheel and I said why don't I give finishing mine up a try? Well I have a new drill press now so I after cutting and grinding it to a really rough shape I put it on the drill, cranked up the speed and got my grinders out and started roughing up the shape with it spinnung. It started to really work with a cut off wheel then I cleaned it up with a flap wheel and finally some sandpaper by hand. Damn proud of it. I'll finish it with Danish oil.
Attached Image

All this interior work had been leaving me with deciding what to do with my seats. Another member found some eBay seats that worked for him and I figured I would try something similar. I bought them planning to use then for WCR and this year but when I got all the leather work done I would probably have them redone. I'm surprised by the quality of them... Foam is rock hard, their is a poorly designed sprung in the upper back that pops in and out when you sit down but for $350 delivered for the pair I was really happy with them. They are very tight on the butt but a bottle Jack should fix that like my current seats.

I'm confident they will require fab work to the car to replace my old ones. But that's easy enough. For now they will be a play place for Alina. Got to get more important things done first.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Meaning I need to drop the trans and replace it. Working late means no power tools so what should be a 2 hr job is closer to 5. More on this next week.
Attached Image

I have some more resin drying on the dash upper portion. Hopefully I can use this.... The steering column debacle meant some things are moving around and getting in the way more than anticipated. I'll redo it if needed. No pics. Just scratchy fiberglass... I needed the top done so it will actually hold shape so I can start really mocking things up.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Apr 21 2019, 07:58 AM
Post #758

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

She's getting so big!

Nice seats and forward progress!
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Apr 21 2019, 08:01 AM
Post #759

914 Guru

Andrew - It's good to know I'm not alone in, what often seems like the "He's making it up as he goes along!" world.
I'd be curious to know how much of your design (dash/climate control, for example) do you actually have worked out before you jump in?

Are you "sure" it'll work? "Pretty sure"? Or, as seems to happen to me, are you in "I'll figure out a way to make it work!" mode?

Regardless, having met you and your dad, I believe I've found additional proof that the "defective car gene" (as my wife calls it), truly exists and doesn't skip generations! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Keep up the tremendous work and let's plan another work day. I look forward to bouncing some build ideas off you.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Apr 21 2019, 10:23 AM
Post #760

Spooling.... Please wait

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Apr 21 2019, 07:01 AM) *

Andrew - It's good to know I'm not alone in, what often seems like the "He's making it up as he goes along!" world.
I'd be curious to know how much of your design (dash/climate control, for example) do you actually have worked out before you jump in?

Are you "sure" it'll work? "Pretty sure"? Or, as seems to happen to me, are you in "I'll figure out a way to make it work!" mode?

Generally I have an idea, I work it out on paper with a drawing and maybe measurements. I template it out somehow and then start fab. Most of the time it's "I'll force this to work" as I hate multiple attempts at the same project. Lots of times this forces me to rebuild other aspects.

Regardless, having met you and your dad, I believe I've found additional proof that the "defective car gene" (as my wife calls it), truly exists and doesn't skip generations! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Attached Image
More proof (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Keep up the tremendous work and let's plan another work day. I look forward to bouncing some build ideas off you.

Sounds great! I thought about coming up before WCR but time is slipping by....
+Quote Post

44 Pages V « < 36 37 38 39 40 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:34 PM