Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CV's, check
tomh
post Jan 31 2011, 11:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,412
Region Association: None

I have my axle's out for my wheel bearing change and noticed the driver's side outer CV a little bit stiffer than the others.My question is does this one need to be repacked or is it shot? I have never heard any sounds like the CV's failing at any time.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Feb 1 2011, 02:11 AM
Post #2

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

If it wasn't making any noises, your odds of it being good are much better.

Disassemble, clean & inspect. If you don't see any signs of significant wear, repack with high quality moly grease (the cheapo stuff has less MSO2), and reinstall. Replace gaskets and serrated washers. Replace the washers without fail with the proper kind. Did I say replace the washers yet?

I like drilled & safety wired CV joint bolts. Some people think they are overkill. Be sure to retorque the bolts after 50 miles or so.

Tip: Do both so you don't need to wonder next year which one you did and take it all apart again. Don't ask me why I'm posting this tip. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
pcar916
post Feb 1 2011, 08:23 AM
Post #3

Is that a Lola?

Member No.: 4,188

As well turn them around and have the direction of rotation opposite of what it was before. The balls will wear on more untouched metal. It'll buy you more time with them as long as there is no metal galling going on.

You can also get the same condition by installing the axles on the opposite side, but some will object with the argument that it stresses the axles in a manner that they are not "used to". I'd propose that in a normal low-hp car it won't matter. As long as you are informed...

Good luck!
+Quote Post
realred914
post Feb 1 2011, 04:15 PM
Post #4

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,541

much of the labour on the cv repacking is the removal and install, since they is out already, if it were me, i'd clean them and repack,

besure to remove ALL traces of the old grease cause mixing types of grease can cause grease breakdown, unless your sure what kind of grease is already in them.

also it is difficult to remove them without gettign some dirt in them since the undersides of the car is dirty, so there is oft a chance that you have contaminated the grease with some dirt/grit just from removing them, unless you took great care in protecting them, one more reason to clean and repack, new boots may be in order also inspect tehm carefully for cracking rubber.

beware of chinese cv joints, they exist and I have found some to be of very poor quality, rough surfaces, and horrible fit (very loose) best bet is Lobro german made cv's.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Feb 2 2011, 07:24 AM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

New German Lobro's are NLA.
+Quote Post
tradisrad
post Feb 2 2011, 12:48 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 6,815
Region Association: Northern California

PMB carries replacement CV joints.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 03:44 PM