Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tomh
I have my axle's out for my wheel bearing change and noticed the driver's side outer CV a little bit stiffer than the others.My question is does this one need to be repacked or is it shot? I have never heard any sounds like the CV's failing at any time.
Rusty
If it wasn't making any noises, your odds of it being good are much better.

Disassemble, clean & inspect. If you don't see any signs of significant wear, repack with high quality moly grease (the cheapo stuff has less MSO2), and reinstall. Replace gaskets and serrated washers. Replace the washers without fail with the proper kind. Did I say replace the washers yet?

I like drilled & safety wired CV joint bolts. Some people think they are overkill. Be sure to retorque the bolts after 50 miles or so.

Tip: Do both so you don't need to wonder next year which one you did and take it all apart again. Don't ask me why I'm posting this tip. biggrin.gif
pcar916
As well turn them around and have the direction of rotation opposite of what it was before. The balls will wear on more untouched metal. It'll buy you more time with them as long as there is no metal galling going on.

You can also get the same condition by installing the axles on the opposite side, but some will object with the argument that it stresses the axles in a manner that they are not "used to". I'd propose that in a normal low-hp car it won't matter. As long as you are informed...

Good luck!
realred914
much of the labour on the cv repacking is the removal and install, since they is out already, if it were me, i'd clean them and repack,

besure to remove ALL traces of the old grease cause mixing types of grease can cause grease breakdown, unless your sure what kind of grease is already in them.

also it is difficult to remove them without gettign some dirt in them since the undersides of the car is dirty, so there is oft a chance that you have contaminated the grease with some dirt/grit just from removing them, unless you took great care in protecting them, one more reason to clean and repack, new boots may be in order also inspect tehm carefully for cracking rubber.

beware of chinese cv joints, they exist and I have found some to be of very poor quality, rough surfaces, and horrible fit (very loose) best bet is Lobro german made cv's.
914Sixer
New German Lobro's are NLA.
tradisrad
PMB carries replacement CV joints.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.