Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Just bought a 2.5 Suby motor, Needs rebuilt but couldn't resist
JRust
post Feb 1 2011, 03:08 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I just picked this up off craigslist.

Used 2.5 motor - Just had new reconditioned heads less than 5k miles ago ($2,800), but the lower end turned out to have a problem, a rod knock, so I put a whole new motor in the vehicle.

The vehicle was in running condition when the motor was taken out - just had rod knock/noise.

Comes with the intake & FI stuff. Is missing one tensioner & belt. Since it will need torn down anyway no big whoop. The heads are in great shape just being rebuilt not long ago. Not bad for $250 huh?

It's going to replace my rotary I think. Or if I sell that it will go in another car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
oldschool
post Feb 1 2011, 03:12 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,705
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 1 2011, 01:08 PM) *

Used 2.5 motor - Just had new reconditioned heads less than 5k miles ago ($2,800), but the lower end turned out to have a problem, a rod knock, so I put a whole new motor in the vehicle.

The vehicle was in running condition when the motor was taken out - just had rod knock/noise.

Comes with the intake & FI stuff. Is missing one tensioner & belt. Since it will need torn down anyway no big whoop. The heads are in great shape just being rebuilt not long ago. Not bad for $250 huh?

It's going to replace my rotary I think. Or if I sell that it will go in another car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

shoot a photo of the rotary ,mount rad, etc.... if you can
+Quote Post
JRust
post Feb 1 2011, 03:23 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

QUOTE(oldschool @ Feb 1 2011, 01:12 PM) *

shoot a photo of the rotary ,mount rad, etc.... if you can

Will do. The whole setup (less radiator) will be up in the classifieds soon. Well hopefully. I have a damn hernia surgery next monday. So unless I get time this weekend (very doubtful). Not sure how soon I'll be up to it after. Probably be good to get done this weekend now that I think of it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) . I'll have to squeze it in
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Feb 1 2011, 03:32 PM
Post #4

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

Rotary parts??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
+Quote Post
realred914
post Feb 1 2011, 04:08 PM
Post #5

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,541
Region Association: None

wich I had known of this before I rebuilt me vanagon wasserboxer. nice power these subies have
+Quote Post
sawtooth
post Feb 1 2011, 04:17 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 9,211
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 1 2011, 02:08 PM) *

Nice, that looks like a later SOHC version which is supposed to have the better flowing heads. I love mine, just drove it for the first time last night.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Feb 1 2011, 08:45 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

QUOTE(sawtooth @ Feb 1 2011, 02:17 PM) *

Nice, that looks like a later SOHC version which is supposed to have the better flowing heads. I love mine, just drove it for the first time last night.

It is out of a 2005 outback. Pretty low miles at like 70k to have problems. Is yours in a 914 or just a subaru? Now I have to find your thread (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Found your thread. I think you may be my new best friend (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Feb 1 2011, 09:23 PM
Post #8

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

My buddy just rebuilt his, Parts are reasonalbe, He had about 900 in parts, Also had to buy the rings from subaru. The other parts I got from worldpac for him.
The crank in his was in great shape at 130k.

+Quote Post
speed metal army
post Feb 1 2011, 10:48 PM
Post #9

Waiting for the rain to stop...

Member No.: 12,137
Region Association: Canada

What happened with the rotary?Did you get it going?Sorry if I missed a thread...
+Quote Post
JRust
post Feb 1 2011, 11:52 PM
Post #10

914 Guru

QUOTE(speed metal army @ Feb 1 2011, 08:48 PM) *

What happened with the rotary?Did you get it going?Sorry if I missed a thread...

No go with my rotary. Definately has a bad apex seal at the least. Fixable but 2k for a rebuild I'm not interested in. I've kept my eyes open for a running 4port 13b. No luck there & if I am going to spend a couple grand. I would rather do it on a suby build.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 03:45 AM